Torrent downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
Why are torrent downloads using Bitcomet or Bittorrent so very slow. Not even a 1KB/s with my dataone account!!
How od i increase the speed?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
It depends on the torrent's availablity (seed+peer amount that you are actually connected to you) and your _upload_ speed. Bittorrent uses an algo which makes the peers prefer clients with large upload bandwidth. But after sometime, you should get more speed.
Else, you need to port forward to punch-thru the nat. I don't know about dataone modems, so I do't know if this could be the case.

Charley

Just Do It
siriusb said:
It depends on the torrent's availablity (seed+peer amount that you are actually connected to you) and your _upload_ speed. Bittorrent uses an algo which makes the peers prefer clients with large upload bandwidth. But after sometime, you should get more speed.
Else, you need to port forward to punch-thru the nat. I don't know about dataone modems, so I do't know if this could be the case.

I just installed the BT client and started d/l and u/l straight away. I get a gud 30 kpbs consistently in DATAONE.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I just installed the BT client and started d/l and u/l straight away. I get a gud 30 kpbs consistently in DATAONE.
Oh yes, my torrents too reach the max speed quickly. But this is when the availablity is of the file and conection resource at the peers is good enough. Some sparsely seeded torrents take some time to reach even half the good speed.
I also mentioned the problem with nat devices. Since you seem to have dataone and start off at once, I would assume there is no problem with nat in dataone.

Charley

Just Do It
siriusb said:
Oh yes, my torrents too reach the max speed quickly. But this is when the availablity is of the file and conection resource at the peers is good enough. Some sparsely seeded torrents take some time to reach even half the good speed.
I also mentioned the problem with nat devices. Since you seem to have dataone and start off at once, I would assume there is no problem with nat in dataone.

No nat probs here.

Also I d/l from torrents with many seeders[min of 5 always] so that quickens it.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Yeah dood it depends on the availability when dl the torrent file check for the seeds and peers if there r none then dont dl that file check somewhere else.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Not all torrents depends on the no. of peers.. I am d/ling a thing right now, it got over 1500 leechers and 300 seeders , ie 1800+ peers, still it dont cross 20kBps.

We need to understand that we d/l in a speed, which others peers in that torrent u/p for each other.

The speeds are dependent on a hell lot of factors.

1. See how much peers u got. Leechers + seeders. If the number of leechers are less than the number of peers then the speed is gonna be more. Also the seeder should have a good upload speed. The seeders may be more but the leechers (incase have a better BW than u got ) will take the most of the BW and u will end up with a slower speeds.

2. Health of the torrent file. Date it was created.

3. Admins of certain site also can restrict the BW.

4. The speeds are not dependent on the clients;atleast not to a greater extent , u can see only marginal difference.

5. Also it does not mean more seeders and hence faster the downlaod, we don't know what the seeder does, he may put on many torrent file for download/upload. So I think it's from the leechers that we get the file parts.

mario_pant

In the zone
depends upon seeds n peers... i lways download healthy torrents and thus get a speed of 31Kbps down on my Dataone home 500 plan.... (i've limited the upload to 1Kbps) LOL!!!!
but i always mainatin a good share ratio!

godsownman

Padawan
Sorry I am diverging from the topic,

Can you all simultaneously surf the net and download with a torrent.

When ever I try I have to restrict the torrent download speed or else I cannot surf properly..

Also, how do you identify a healthy torrent ?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
yrana2002 said:
mario_pant said:
I've limited the upload to 1Kbps)
!
Well, even I've tried doing that in Bitcomet but it always resets back to 3kbps.
3kBps is the minimum. 1Kbps is illusion only... we can just manually change it to 1kBps, but no torrent clients dont limit the u/p to less than 3KBps.
We can u/l to less than 3kBps, but thats not because that my client has limited that.

mario_pant said:
(i've limited the upload to 1Kbps) LOL!!!!
but i always mainatin a good share ratio!
I would like to know how you can do this?

I am sure you will be kicked out from any private torrent tacker sites. Even some sites maintains ratio thing and ban members (along with their range of IP's and email IDs) if the ratio is bad or less than what they expect.

godsownman said:
Also, how do you identify a healthy torrent ?
** When the client is able to connect to the tracker within a few mins
** get good speeds which is sustainable
** the torrent created recent
** sometimes even the trackers (some private trackers are superb, some site admins limit the d/l speed for any particular IP if the speed in which the u/l is low)
** and of cource, the number of Peers (leechers+seeders)

And a healty torrent is a one which is not dead for a long time.. , ie there are peers connected to the trackers. Dead torrents with no peers for a long time maybe removed from the tracker after some time.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hello everyone,
I'm using azureus on slackware. I have a problem with NAT. Can anyone tell me how do I configure that? I only get speeds upto 4-6 kbps though I have a 256kbps connection while my friend using 256 kbps from MTNL gets upto 30-32kbps.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
tech_your_future said:
Hello everyone,
I'm using azureus on slackware. I have a problem with NAT. Can anyone tell me how do I configure that? I only get speeds upto 4-6 kbps though I have a 256kbps connection while my friend using 256 kbps from MTNL gets upto 30-32kbps.

I use Azurues too. Try ports '5000' and '6000'. They always work for me :)

mail2and said:
tech_your_future said:
Hello everyone,

I use Azurues too. Try ports '5000' and '6000'. They always work for me :)

CORRECTION: Open/Forward ports 6881 to 6999

Regarding choking upload speeds, some trackers will also choke download speed proportionally, some won't. Currently even though I'm D/Ling with UP speed set at 1Kbps, my D/L is at 74Kbps.

Keith

mehulved

I've tried both the suggestions but nope none of them seem to work. It still shows a NAT problem. I am still unable to get speeds in excess of 5-6 kbps.

Charley

Just Do It
tech_your_future said:
I've tried both the suggestions but nope none of them seem to work. It still shows a NAT problem. I am still unable to get speeds in excess of 5-6 kbps.

Just give this a TRY.

Firewall test :

If you are not sure that whether you are behind the firewall or not, complete this simple test to find out your connectable status.

Just download the torrent file (connection-checker.torrent) and open it with your bittorrent client .

NOTE: This is a test torrent and will always show an error message. Just compare the message shown with the messages listed below to know your status.

Torrent : *bittornado.com/connection-checker.torrent

Message: Client sent IP address *BLAH*. *BLEH* is unacceptible
Status: You are not connectable only. Your "local IP" is set to a private IP address. Private IP addresses are blocked out on the Internet, and so will never work.

Message: NAT check failed. Client IP address override is correct though.
Status: You may or may not get good speed. Script agreed with your choice of "local IP" field, but you're still firewalled.

Message: Proxy detected, but NAT check OK and your IP override is correct.
Status: You will get good speed. Script agreed with your choice of "local IP" field, and you're not firewalled.

Message: NAT check failed (with transpart proxy). Check for port forwarding.
Status: You may or may not get good speed. A transparent proxy was detected and compensated for, but you're firewalled. Or possibly your transparent proxy is not reporting your real address correctly (I hope not).

Message: Transparent proxy detected, but I can still connect to you.
Status: You will get good speed. A trnasparent proxy was detected and compensated for, and you're not firewalled. Some PHP trackers may still cause you to appear firewalled if they don't check for transparent proxies.

Message: NAT check failed to overrided IP address. Check for firewalls or port forwarding.
Status: You will not get good speed. Your IP override field was not agreed with (though not necessarily wrong) and it seemed to be firewalled. If you believe you are not firewalled, double-check your Local IP setting.

Message: Accepted IP override with perfect score. Not all trackers will accept it though.
Status: You will get good speed. Although the script disagreed with your choice of Local IP, it worked anyways. But you may not be able to use it with trackers that don't accept that field.

Message: NAT check failed. Check for firewalls or port forwarding.
Status: You will not get good speed. No transparent proxy was detected, but you seem to be firewalled.

rentacoder

Broken In
i got a question. U guys may laugh at this. But how much speed should i expect from my airtel gprs connection?
I use bitcomet.

mehulved

Thank you achacko for the link.It gives me a message saying " NAT check failed. Check for firewalls or port forwarding."
So I think I need to modify my IPTABLES to allow freeflow of traffic thru port 6889 - the port which Azureus uses to connect.

Charley

Just Do It
rentacoder said:
i got a question. U guys may laugh at this. But how much speed should i expect from my airtel gprs connection?
I use bitcomet.

Whats the connection speed, divide that by 8.. thats what u'll get ..

<< Cheers >>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom