The Windows Mobile Thread

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Re: The Windows Phone Thread

windows phone 8 gdr3 update coming with 1080p support..
source Microsoft to issue GDR3 Windows Phone 8 update by the end of the year, support for 1080p displays in tow - GSMArena Blog

Nice move by MS, indeed.:clap2:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

99%. This update has significantly improved the battery life.

Mother of GOD, that is too good to be true.. Skype calls and no battery consumed??
I hope to god its not some battery bug. Maverick, please keep us posted buddy. Especially as to when your phone is going to need the next recharge..

Shah

Cyborg Agent

Does anyone aware about the launch of Huawei Ascend W1? It has been listed as "Coming soon." in Huawei India's website.

Does anyone aware about the launch of Huawei Ascend W1? It has been listed as "Coming soon." in Huawei India's website.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

It has not been launched. Phone looks great BTW

*economictimes.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-17965272,width-652,resizemode-4/huaweis-ascend-w1-smartphone-with-windows-8.jpg

Shah

Cyborg Agent

It has not been launched. Phone looks great BTW

*economictimes.indiatimes.com/thumb/msid-17965272,width-652,resizemode-4/huaweis-ascend-w1-smartphone-with-windows-8.jpg

I know it has not been launched. I want to know it's launch date. Anyway, Even if it gets launched, it can't outnumber lumias in sales.

Mother of GOD, that is too good to be true.. Skype calls and no battery consumed??
I hope to god its not some battery bug. Maverick, please keep us posted buddy. Especially as to when your phone is going to need the next recharge..

I always give topmost importatnce to conserve battery
1) I always keep Wifi, Internet data and navigation off unless I am not using it
2) Do not allow any application to consume background tasks when they are not opened
3) Always keep mobile data to 2G. But when I use mobile internet, I switch on to 3G and after the usuage, turn it back to 2G.
4) Brightness is automatic
5) Battery saver is always on

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

I always give topmost importatnce to conserve battery
1) I always keep Wifi, Internet data and navigation off unless I am not using it
2) Do not allow any application to consume background tasks when they are not opened
3) Always keep mobile data to 2G. But when I use mobile internet, I switch on to 3G and after the usuage, turn it back to 2G.
4) Brightness is automatic
5) Battery saver is always on

I keep wifi on largely as I am connected to it both at home and office.
GPS on as its inside the settings to disable it.
Few application that I choose are allowed to run in the background like Drive, BBC news, Engadget and Collector
Hardly use mobile data unless I am travelling. If so always set to 3G.
Automatic brightness.
Battery saver on only if I am low on battery like 20% or so.

I find my phone easily lasts a day of moderate usage involving a good number of text messages. If used a little sparingly like today lasts a lot longer (46% remaining after 21 hours- Constant wifi, some 40 messages in total, roughly 1.5 hrs of music via earphones, some 10 minutes of maps, constant email sync and checking it too, some 7 different alarms :D , 5-6 full-loud missed calls etc )

Flash

Lost in speed

I find my phone easily lasts a day of moderate usage involving a good number of text messages. If used a little sparingly like today lasts a lot longer (46% remaining after 21 hours- Constant wifi, some 40 messages in total, roughly 1.5 hrs of music via earphones, some 10 minutes of maps, constant email sync and checking it too, some 7 different alarms :D , 5-6 full-loud missed calls etc )

That's pretty SOLID.

I keep wifi on largely as I am connected to it both at home and office.
GPS on as its inside the settings to disable it.
Few application that I choose are allowed to run in the background like Drive, BBC news, Engadget and Collector
Hardly use mobile data unless I am travelling. If so always set to 3G.
Automatic brightness.
Battery saver on only if I am low on battery like 20% or so.

With firmware update it will be much better

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Updates. Came home played a bit with the settings, switched data on, read news (max 10 minutes) some 10 more messages, a small camera demo to some very impressed restaurant guys (max 5 min)..
23 hours since last charge, 33% remaining. So in short it can easily last my day as long as I dont do too much browsing or navigation (location services are always on though). I'm a satisfied customer. If the new update makes battery life even better, then good :D

Just noticed that my battery saver option is on, set to activate when low. Its not active, but on, just thought i'd clarify.

Shah

Cyborg Agent

Found this review of Ascend W1, looks promising. But, Do you guys think that it is worth to sacrifice the Nokia's exclusive Apps?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

I'm using Lumia 620 and it's by default on 1308 Firmware, but no Data Sense. Can't find it on store too.

Shah

Cyborg Agent

I'm using Lumia 620 and it's by default on 1308 Firmware, but no Data Sense. Can't find it on store too.

I just did a google search and found that Data Sense is exclusive for Verizon users in US, only. We won't be getting it. It is a worthy App. We, Indians, need it badly as there are no true unlimited 2g or 3g plans in India as of now.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Found this review of Ascend W1, looks promising. But, Do you guys think that it is worth to sacrifice the Nokia's exclusive Apps?

I havent read the review, but overall the Ascend looks a very good phone. That being said, if its priced on par with the Nokia counterparts, I'd still go with the Nokia phones simply because I trust the brand a lot more than any other. Just look at the pace at which fixes and improvements that are coming to the Lumia series as opposed to the others like Samsung and HTC. While purely a personal opinion, I would consider the manufacturers commitment and promptness a major factor when shelling out my money. Only Nokia still has any kind of solution to the Others bug, just to name an example.

Its been 1 day 10 hours and my battery is still 69% remaining:wink:

Thats very impressive :)
I'm being very tempted to update, but I'll wait for a week or so ;)

Also, can you clarify that your Battery saver was "on" but not active? As in you had the setting set to on, but it wasnt active and you had no "the heart icon on top of the battery" ?

My battery update: I slept off, with the charge at 33% after some 23 hours. When I woke up, Battery saver had kicked in the phone was showing 12% left after a day and 12 hours, but there hadn't been any real activity in the last 12 hours except some 4 missed calls and wifi and location services being on. Just plugged it in :)

In general under moderate-high use the phone looses about 4% every hour when messaging promptly (7-8 outgoing message every hour and the associated screen on times of say 10 minutes or so), wifi on, some 4 apps running background jobs, location on, email syncing (and the associated screen on times of say 5 minutes) and the like with occasional music (screen on roughly 3 minutes ?). In less intensive use I have see it consume as little as just under 2% every hour with the wifi , location and the background services still on. Major Battery hogs are Maps/Drive and screen/browsing (obviously).

Shah

Cyborg Agent

I havent read the review, but overall the Ascend looks a very good phone. That being said, if its priced on par with the Nokia counterparts, I'd still go with the Nokia phones simply because I trust the brand a lot more than any other. Just look at the pace at which fixes and improvements that are coming to the Lumia series as opposed to the others like Samsung and HTC. While purely a personal opinion, I would consider the manufacturers commitment and promptness a major factor when shelling out my money. Only Nokia still has any kind of solution to the Others bug, just to name an example.

Nokia provides quick fixes and updates to Lumias as Lumia is its only smartphone series. Samsung, Huawei and HTC concentrate on Android more than WP8. Anyway, at least, we have one committed manufacturer.

Thats very impressive :)
I'm being very tempted to update, but I'll wait for a week or so ;)

Also, can you clarify that your Battery saver was "on" but not active? As in you had the setting set to on, but it wasnt active and you had no "the heart icon on top of the battery" ?

My battery update: I slept off, with the charge at 33% after some 23 hours. When I woke up, Battery saver had kicked in the phone was showing 12% left after a day and 12 hours, but there hadn't been any real activity in the last 12 hours except some 4 missed calls and wifi and location services being on. Just plugged it in :)

In general under moderate-high use the phone looses about 4% every hour when messaging promptly (7-8 outgoing message every hour and the associated screen on times of say 10 minutes or so), wifi on, some 4 apps running background jobs, location on, email syncing (and the associated screen on times of say 5 minutes) and the like with occasional music (screen on roughly 3 minutes ?). In less intensive use I have see it consume as little as just under 2% every hour with the wifi , location and the background services still on. Major Battery hogs are Maps/Drive and screen/browsing (obviously).

I wonder what will be the battery life of L720, which has a 2000mAh battery with a screen smaller than 920 and will use less processing power.

EDIT

Breaking News: All Nokia Lumia 520 colours sold out on Flipkart

Source

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Nokia provides quick fixes and updates to Lumias as Lumia is its only smartphone series. Samsung, Huawei and HTC concentrate on Android more than WP8. Anyway, at least, we have one committed manufacturer.

I wonder what will be the battery life of L720, which has a 2000mAh battery with a screen smaller than 920 and will use less processing power.

EDIT

Breaking News: All Nokia Lumia 520 colours sold out on Flipkart

Source

As a customer I wouldnt care if a manufacturer has only one series or a thousand. All I'd want to know is that my hard earned money is put in the hands of someone who'd make sure I feel well tended to.

Yes, theoretically the 720 should have much better battery life as compared to the 920. It has the exact same battery and much fewer pixels (- 2.5x pixels) to drive, not to mention a less power hungry proccessor and GPU. I'd expect it to do significantly better than the 920. PS: It might to extremely well in the real world tests, but not so good in "scientific" tests like looping a video or looping a webpage, etc. Thats because the advantages from what I'd expect are in the standby department which a real phone spends a lot of time in. In short I'd expect to see some 10-20 % better battery life under controlled tests and nearly 30-50% in the real world. of course I dont have the numbers yet, and so this is plain speculation (but a rational one) from my part.

Amithansda

Journeyman

Hi Folks,

Can Lumia 820 play flv files? I am using Windows 8 on PC to transfer videos through Mobile app. The mobile app does not detect flv.

Gauravs90

geek........

Hi Folks,

Can Lumia 820 play flv files? I am using Windows 8 on PC to transfer videos through Mobile app. The mobile app does not detect flv.

wp8 devices can't play .flv files but you can convert them to mp4 with any video converter.

Top Bottom