The Windows 8 Thread

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
So guys, I am happy user of Cucusoft Netguard in my windows 8 Lappy. The thing is that, Netguard doesn't work for me in Windows 8.1 even after downloading latest version of Netguard. So i want alternative software to Netguard. So this feature of net guard shows all the process/app which consumes my data at real time.

*i.imgur.com/2lRzVOm.jpg

I have tried, DU meter, Networx some other bandwidth monitoring tools, yet they lack this function.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
So guys, I am happy user of Cucusoft Netguard in my windows 8 Lappy. The thing is that, Netguard doesn't work for me in Windows 8.1 even after downloading latest version of Netguard. So i want alternative software to Netguard. So this feature of net guard shows all the process/app which consumes my data at real time.

*i.imgur.com/2lRzVOm.jpg

I have tried, DU meter, Networx some other bandwidth monitoring tools, yet they lack this function.

Do you really need to monitor all the processes all the time ?
If not, this feature is already built into the resource monitor tool in windows (not the cumulative statistics, but the process-wise monitoring).

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Do you really need to monitor all the processes all the time ?
If not, this feature is already built into the resource monitor tool in windows (not the cumulative statistics, but the process-wise monitoring).

I don't want to monitor all the process. Lets say my browsing speed is slow, but the Netmeter says I am getting good speed, then i'll check that process window, then I get to know, which program is updating in the background. If its unnecessary update, then i'll cancel it.

Just looked into resource monitor tool. Its very clumsy and confusing. There are lot of process of chrome itself.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that is not a foolproof solution.many times some softwares use svchost.exe process to download/upload & you can not simply know which program is using this service.it is better to turn off automatic update(or set them to notify only mode) when installing any software.for browsers & flash player though it is recommended to leave auto update on unless you are confident about your AV/security setup.

amjath

Human Spambot
Guys, one of our forum member [MENTION=316856]senthilsubbu[/MENTION] asked a question via pm. So I answered it, but need confirmation whether I was right or wrong. So please read it and let me know if I'm wrong or not.

senthilsubbu said:
Hi,
I have lenovo laptop came with preinstalled windows 8 (OEM copy).But later at some point I installed windows 7(not genuine).Presently I neither have back up copy of windows 8 which came with my laptop nor the key.But I heared some body told that the key is stored in bios.Is it true,if is it so can you give me the link for Windows 8.1 iso download link from microsoft .I could not find the anything like that in microsoft website.

Regards
SenthilSubbu
Hi Senthil,

Follow the below link.

How to Download the Windows 8.1 ISO image using a Windows 8 key

And download the iso.

When the product key asked, use the generic key

XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB*

And download it.

Use the iso to install the os, your os will find the key from BIOS and installs it.

Gonna post this in windows 8 thread, for clarification.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
[MENTION=127004]amjath[/MENTION]
But he shouldn't have to enter any key at all during installation as the key will be fetched at first boot itself.

Will a clean install of Windows 8 recognize an OEM license/product key? - Super User

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are 2 standard win 8 versions---"core" & "pro" for which standard iso images are available from microsoft.However many OEMs like HP use "SL" version of win 8 which is not standard & if you try to install using any standard version iso the install will fail as the embedded key in bios will look for "SL" version of win 8.

amjath

Human Spambot
[MENTION=127004]amjath[/MENTION]
But he shouldn't have to enter any key at all during installation as the key will be fetched at first boot itself.

Will a clean install of Windows 8 recognize an OEM license/product key? - Super User
Yeah, the product key I mentioned is for downloading using the generic key. As you said installing didn't need a key.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
For the past week or so, I am having this weird issue with Shutdown. When I click Shutdown, Nothing happens for 2-3 minutes and then only the "Shutting down" screen appears. It was working fine until I messed up with the Virtual Memory & Paging settings. I guess the delay is because of some paging activity in the background. I have reverted back the changes I made, still this isn't fixed.

Have anyone faced such issues before? Is there any fix for this?

BTW, I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (Genuine)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
my computer properties--performance info & tools(left side)--view performance details in event log.this is the way to see issues slowing pc shutdown & startup in win 7,should be similar in win 8 too.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
my computer properties--performance info & tools(left side)--view performance details in event log.this is the way to see issues slowing pc shutdown & startup in win 7,should be similar in win 8 too.

The performance & tools is not there in Windows 8.1

Top Bottom