The Windows 8 Thread

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The plan of M$ will never work unless they force the users like making DX12 windows 10 exclusive.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
everytime i install a program on my laptop with windows 8.1, it becomes blurred and i have to disable display scaling.
is there a universal setting?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The plan of M$ will never work unless they force the users like making DX12 windows 10 exclusive.

Its not a mental plan. THe bigger reasons being some silly programs that were coded as (of course MS doesnt agree, but then marketing speak surely wouldnt want to let go of any chance to market bigger numbers)

String version = System.getProperty("os.version");
if (name.equals("solaris") || name.equals("SunOS")) {
name = "solaris";
} else if (name.startsWith("windows")) {
name = "windows";
if (name.startsWith("windows 9")) {
if (version.startsWith("4.0")) {
version = "95";
} else if (version.startsWith("4.9")) {
version = "me";
} else {
assert version.startsWith("4.1");
version = "98";
}
} else {
if (version.startsWith("4.0")) {
version = "nt4";
} else if (version.startsWith("5.0")) {
version = "2000";
} else if (version.startsWith("5.1")) {
version = "xp";
} else if (version.startsWith("5.2")) {
version = "2003";
}
}

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
It is time for a Windows 10 (Technical preview) thread. I used the evaluation copy and we have a winner by microsoft!

*i57.tinypic.com/2573o5g.jpg

*i61.tinypic.com/2lx9xmh.jpg

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Guys, how to Change user directory to some other Hard drive (like J:). I Dont want it in C. Previously I used to change the locations of folders such as My Pictures, My videos, My Downloads, My Documents it was working well but still some programs use C:/user/arif and store the files there!! How to change the whole user Directory ??

amjath

Human Spambot
Guys, how to Change user directory to some other Hard drive (like J:). I Dont want it in C. Previously I used to change the locations of folders such as My Pictures, My videos, My Downloads, My Documents it was working well but still some programs use C:/user/arif and store the files there!! How to change the whole user Directory ??

Hope this helps

Move C:\Users directory to D:\Users — Documentation: Windows 0.1.0 documentation

gameranand

Living to Play
Oh God. Now when I am comfortable with Start Screen, they are bringing back the old one ?? I hope they bring a setting for it to be like Win 8.1 as well.

amjath

Human Spambot
Oh God. Now when I am comfortable with Start Screen, they are bringing back the old one ?? I hope they bring a setting for it to be like Win 8.1 as well.

there is a option to choose.

*winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-swap-between-start-menu-and-start-screen

Lenny

Journeyman
Windows 10 looking great... Another familiarization phase needed for this one. Hoping there's not much catching up needed from 8.1 to 10.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Can I activate a Windows 8.1 Pro installation with a Windows 8 Pro key?

I am having Windows 8.1 Core installed and a Windows 8 pro key. I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro. I was just wondering if I could upgrade my Win8.1 Core to Win8.1 Pro using some *ahem* ISO and then activate it using the Win8 Pro (genuine) key I have.

If it is possible, Can the Win8 Pro key be used in Win8.1 Pro installation wizard itself? Or do I have to use a generic key and later activate it after installation?

Fresh Install is not an option as I don't want to lose all the programs I have installed and the customizations. Also, I don't want to Install Win8 Pro and then upgrade to Win8.1 Pro. That'll be longer process.

Have created a thread here *www.digit.in/forum/software-q/191873-activating-windows-8-1-pro-windows-8-pro-key.html#post2232011

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't think so.to upgrade win 8.1 core to 8.1 pro you need to enter 8.1 pro key.
Upgrading Windows 8.1 to 8.1 Pro fails with "This key won't work. Check it and try again, or try a different key" - Super User
Note: If you're running Windows 8, you must use a Windows 8 Pro product key and not a Windows 8.1 Pro product key. If you are running Windows 8.1, then you must use a Windows 8.1 Pro product key.

Top Bottom