The Windows 8 Thread

gameranand

Living to Play
I've found a load of Windows 8.1 copies, all legit, which can be downloaded using a bittorrent app.

The Windows 8.1 (& related) Repository

You can download any copy you want, and the hash matches with the Microsoft ones. Also, since these are magnet links, you can use Utorrent to download the files, and then force recheck, and if there are errors, you can download that particular piece again.

I tried direct download from the Microsoft site twice, and twice got downloads with errors.

Thanks. Direct links always sucks for me.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I am trying to install a legal w8 version on the hp dv4 3016tx laptop with Intel HD 3000 and an ATI 6750. I am not a newbie to this but this has been my absolute worst experience ever. 5 reinstalls later I still cannot install the display driver, monitor stuck at 1024x768. Intel drivers say I cannot install because my laptop doesn't have the minimum requirements. ATI drivers hot some exception and die. I have tried atleast 2 different versions of both drivers in addition to the one via device manager > update.

Really pissed off now. I am using the image from the links above. W8 has magically marked my win 7 partition as free space and now that's gone too. But since I have no data there I am now re installing w7 from scratch.

What a retarded OS... The only reason I want it is because the WP SDK doesn't run on w7.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
What am I doing wrong?
Hp doesn't have any drivers for windows 8, so I used the windows 7 drivers. They fail. Then used drivers direct from ati and Intel. Again fail. Using device manager to update means the driver is found but the screen becomes black and no way short of a system restore to be able to see anything. Basically its all down to the igp drivers not working. Any tips?

What am I doing wrong?
Hp doesn't have any drivers for windows 8, so I used the windows 7 drivers. They fail. Then used drivers direct from ati and Intel. Again fail. Using device manager to update means the driver is found but the screen becomes black and no way short of a system restore to be able to see anything. Basically its all down to the igp drivers not working. Any tips?

This is what you are doing wrong. This same issue occurred in my friend's Lenovo AIO which had no Windows 8 drivers.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
What am I doing wrong?

From this thread download Windows 8 drivers for 6770M (basically factory OCed 6750m)

*forum.notebookreview.com/hp-driver...dv7-6xxx-envy-14-2xxx-envy-17-2xxx-intel.html

Once you install those you will get switchable gfx like win7. These are unstable so you will have to install reference driver too (link in the same post)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Where to buy a hard copy or a digital copy of Windows 8.1 RTM? Kindly guide me which one to buy in my case because I play a lot of games on x64bit OS?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
From this thread download Windows 8 drivers for 6770M (basically factory OCed 6750m)

[Drivers] HP dv6-4XXX / dv6-6XXX / dv7-5XXX / dv7-6XXX / ENVY 14-2XXX / ENVY 17-2XXX (INTEL)

Once you install those you will get switchable gfx like win7. These are unstable so you will have to install reference driver too (link in the same post)

Thanks a lot :)
Got W8 up and running using the driver installed (the original/oldest ones I have) under compatibility mode for W7. Still IGP doesnt work - switches and then immediately flickers and automatically logs out and returns to the lock screen. Resarting starts the 6750M again. Will try more today evening.

Disabled everything automatic to prevent a relapse - no auto update of anything, no windows update, no defender no nothing. All disabled everywhere possible. :|

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
Can somebody help me in activating my Win 8 using phone activation? My phone call always ends abruptly after I enter the 9th set of code. Tried from different phones, but nothing works. Last time I used the help of another FM, but he is busy now. I will PM the activation code. Thanks.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Can somebody help me in activating my Win 8 using phone activation? My phone call always ends abruptly after I enter the 9th set of code. Tried from different phones, but nothing works. Last time I used the help of another FM, but he is busy now. I will PM the activation code. Thanks.

Call ms customer care. I faced the same problem

amjath

Human Spambot

Go to cmd "slui 3" (no quotes)
When activation panel opens, enter product key.

Try this :)

amjath

Human Spambot
Tried. But now is not working hour.

Will try this, but is it same as phone activation? because online activation will work only once.

Its a online activation. If it is not working u can also try some other activation method

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
U mean to say u tried online activation before, so u left with phone only

I activated it initially using online activation. Now I replaced my motherboard due to mobo failure and only phone activation will work. Same is the case if you reinstall the OS. Last time a FM helped me to get the phone activation codes.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ PM sent. Thanks.

Thanks everybody. Activated successfully. Used Advanced Token Manager to backup the activation should I need to reinstall the OS.

Top Bottom