The Windows 8 Thread

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Give your views about the software after you have used it. This update created problems for many people.

no issues as of now. no problems with softwares. had to reinstall some drivers, good part is Action Center tells you which drivers need to be re installed.

If you are using high resolution monitor, fonts may get blurry in some applications like chrome, steam etc. Had to disable display calibration in compatibility settings for those specific apps.

I'm now getting 20 fps less in CSGO, not sure if the problem is with amd drivers for 8.1 or latest csgo update as i installed both updates at same time.

amjath

Human Spambot
Windows 8.1 update is over just now.
I had no reinstalling of driver issue, everything went smooth.
My impressions so far:
*Windows 8 3/4 to 1/4 split screen changed to equal half is great.
*When 2 apps running in split screen, when u call 3rd app it comes to the center and when u mouseover the third app tilting animation is cool
*Start button
*Boot to desktop. In windows 8 when u close apps it open start , In 8.1 goes to desktop when you close apps which is good but annoys sometimes
*Big change is Windows Store It is really really cool, Also they are way faster.
*When u drag app from one place to another, the slow scroll animation is good
*In Start menu, there is a handy button at left bottom to open all apps
*Charms bar is not center alignment. Not look good
*New background to start [one background has robot animates] and even desktop background can be set now, would appreciate user preferred background
*New apps Food & drink and Health & Fitness
*New apps from store which is installed had to manually Pin to Start
*In My computer, devices and drives are clubbed together [Out of the box]
*Change PC Settings makeover
*Mail app changed
*Bing app removed instead Bing Smart search is introduced

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
Windows 8.1 update is over just now.
I had no reinstalling of driver issue, everything went smooth.
My impressions so far:
*Windows 8 3/4 to 1/4 split screen changed to equal half is great.
*When 2 apps running in split screen, when u call 3rd app it comes to the center and when u mouseover the third app tilting animation is cool
*Start button
*Boot to desktop. In windows 8 when u close apps it open start , In 8.1 goes to desktop when you close apps which is good but annoys sometimes
*Big change is Windows Store It is really really cool, Also they are way faster.
*When u drag app from one place to another, the slow scroll animation is good
*In Start menu, there is a handy button at left bottom to open all apps
*Charms bar is not center alignment. Not look good
*New background to start [one background has robot animates] and even desktop background can be set now, would appreciate user preferred background
*New apps Food & drink and Health & Fitness
*New apps from store which is installed had to manually Pin to Start
*In My computer, devices and drives are clubbed together [Out of the box]
*Change PC Settings makeover
*Mail app changed
*Bing app removed instead Bing Smart search is introduced

Thanks for the list of changes. :)

Gollum

Collector
more changes
kioskmode
working folders-like google drive
clicking any folder or file in exolorer brings a tick mark next to it
my comouter replaced by this pc
more backgroubd colors
vpn mode
easy recovery from pc settings mode
very nice calculator-check the data converter
scanner app
modern app based ie-looks like the androud browser now
mail app romoved
improved boot time
button for all apps in start screen
default load to desktop can be removed in gpo and property page
easy way to arrange the all app page

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ nopes, i am running windows 8 vanilla only, i checked the installed updates list and the require update KB2871389 is there already.

amjath

Human Spambot
^^ nopes, i am running windows 8 vanilla only, i checked the installed updates list and the require update KB2871389 is there already.

R u running anyone of these

Windows 8 Enterprise

Editions of Windows 8 Pro that are installed by enterprises using KMS activation

Editions of Windows 8 that are installed using an MSDN ISO, and activated using multiple activation keys

moltenskull

Journeyman
Sam_738844,what I meant to ask was,did you notice any update from Microsoft installing itself multiple times?I had that issue with the some update (wrote the exact update number a few posts back) and it was being installed daily.Also,did you restart your PC after all recent updates?Though not very likely,but maybe a restart (not a shutdown) is pending for some recent update...the time window for a restart is two days...check your Windows update applet in Control panel...:) And I know it sounds a bit silly,but there should be a big purple tile titled 'Update to windows 8.1 for free' in the store section,not the usual green colored update 'notification' at the top right of the screen for other app updates...Try re-starting store after killing it in the task manager...:)

I'm getting this error while updating to Win 8.1 :

*fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/q71/s720x720/1390623_757715687579279_1484637433_n.jpg

What to do ?
Even if I click cancel, when I start installation again, it resumes from same 50% state & fails after 4-5 min

amjath

Human Spambot
^ click try again, check ur internet. Let the update to download avoid using browsing while downloading

Found a cool feature.
I tried opening pdf file from my mail app, the pdf [set to open in adobe app] opens in split screen making mail app and pdf see at the same time.

Trick to get windows 8.1 iso: Download the Windows 8.1 ISO using a Windows 8 key and some simple trickery
*i.imgur.com/wM79k5m.png
worked thanks for sharing :doublethumb:

Top Bottom