The Windows 8 Thread

icebags

Technomancer
and if they later unauthorize the key?

they have the right to do that, but will do or will be able to do is a different thing. and another thing is all windows preloaded machines come activated, i.e. their product keys were activated around the given time period. Now, if they see ur key activation date is offset by a huge gap, they may ask for receipt if they want. my opinion is live with windows 7 if that's acceptable. otherwise go for 1999, that not a huge amount when u consider it to be a 6-8 years of safe investment. i bought xp home in 2004 probably, and in 2012 now, i m thinking of upgrading..... practically for dx11+ & more RAM support of 64 bit.

regarding the multiboot/installer/32-64 bit issue, i asked a few question in ms community, their engineers/ community moderators are replying.ppl may check if want clarifications:
Upgrading to windows 8 64bit, from xp 32 bit. Guidance needed. - Microsoft Community

i doubt unauthorized copies of windows will work. in that case there would not have been any kind of restrictions. :lol:

How can microsoft ask for receipt of laptop? Lakhs and crores of people would be upgrading worldwide. There is no way to track or verify. Just enter any date and get the redemption code. Once you make the payment you will get the key. After the download is complete you can install windows 8 on any computer irrespective of how or when you purchased it. Just make a dvd or usb and its like any other OS dvd that you get in the market
not difficult really, just they need to run a few lines of codes to check they original key activation date and given purchase date. if the dates differ by a huge gap they can just send some auto mails. and purchasing key does not only mean installing the software, but also getting the update supports, MS will continuously release updates till its end of life and u will be able to get the same instantly.

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
they have the right to do that, but will do or will be able to do is a different thing. and another thing is all windows preloaded machines come activated, i.e. their product keys were activated around the given time period. Now, if they see ur key activation date is offset by a huge gap, they may ask for receipt if they want. my opinion is live with windows 7 if that's acceptable. otherwise go for 1999, that not a huge amount when u consider it to be a 6-8 years of safe investment. i bought xp home in 2004 probably, and in 2012 now, i m thinking of upgrading..... practically for dx11+ & more RAM support of 64 bit.

regarding the multiboot/installer/32-64 bit issue, i asked a few question in ms community, their engineers/ community moderators are replying.ppl may check if want clarifications:
Upgrading to windows 8 64bit, from xp 32 bit. Guidance needed. - Microsoft Community

i doubt unauthorized copies of windows will work. in that case there would not have been any kind of restrictions. :lol:

not difficult really, just they need to run a few lines of codes to check they original key activation date and given purchase date. if the dates differ by a huge gap they can just send some auto mails. and purchasing key does not only mean installing the software, but also getting the update supports, MS will continuously release updates till its end of life and u will be able to get the same instantly.

Thanks! I would better pay 1300 bucks more than doing some illegal stuff.

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
The only thing that I hate is that, I have already paid for my OEM serial key for windows 7 when I recently bought a laptop and now I will have to pay an extra 15$ for getting windows 8. I feel like being ripped off. Really wished that I could use both.

duke123

In the zone
The only thing that I hate is that, I have already paid for my OEM serial key for windows 7 when I recently bought a laptop and now I will have to pay an extra 15$ for getting windows 8. I feel like being ripped off. Really wished that I could use both.

there is no point in having two windows installation at the same time...if you have windows and linux its ok but whats the point in having two windows..

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
there is no point in having two windows installation at the same time...if you have windows and linux its ok but whats the point in having two windows..

Why don't you understand? Windows 8 and 7 are like totally different worlds. Plus there are probably many softwares which might not be compatible with windows 8. I see 1000 of benefits of using them both.

pratyush997

Inactive
how about Installing WIN 7 on another partition and upgrade in it ? :p

icebags

Technomancer
Why don't you understand? Windows 8 and 7 are like totally different worlds. Plus there are probably many softwares which might not be compatible with windows 8. I see 1000 of benefits of using them both.

if u buy windows 8 upgrade, you can still use windows 7, see the link i gave. windows 8 is not a mandatory stuff. if u r happy with 7, don't go for 8. 7 will still be good for another 4-5 years.

7 & 8 are different products, if u pay for apple, it doesn't mean papaya comes free. :lol:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
if u buy windows 8 upgrade, you can still use windows 7, see the link i gave. windows 8 is not a mandatory stuff. if u r happy with 7, don't go for 8. 7 will still be good for another 4-5 years.

7 & 8 are different products, if u pay for apple, it doesn't mean papaya comes free. :lol:

exactly. Good strategy by MS. Because of the low price, people who would not consider an upgrade are getting it just for the heck of it.

duke123

In the zone

sam you seem to be a lot worried about the upgrade..
i used an XP operating system from 2002 from my school days to few months back in my old laptop..i never faced any problem..i never bothered to install vista/7 because i was totally comfortable with XP..in fact many users still use XP..

if you are satisfied with seven you can still stick with it..apart from a minor tweaks and user interface you wont find much difference in windows 8 and there is no case of difference in worlds or 1000s of benefits..all the apps will run smoothly and if not they will in newer versions..

all this fuss is because of 699 upgrade offer otherwise most of us would not even bother to install a trial version far from purchasing...

sam9953

True Manchester City fan
sam you seem to be a lot worried about the upgrade..
i used an XP operating system from 2002 from my school days to few months back in my old laptop..i never faced any problem..i never bothered to install vista/7 because i was totally comfortable with XP..in fact many users still use XP..

if you are satisfied with seven you can still stick with it..apart from a minor tweaks and user interface you wont find much difference in windows 8 and there is no case of difference in worlds or 1000s of benefits..all the apps will run smoothly and if not they will in newer versions..

all this fuss is because of 699 upgrade offer otherwise most of us would not even bother to install a trial version far from purchasing...

Yeah, you are right in one way. Okay so tell me just one thing, incase I go for a windows 8 upgrade, then will I be allowed to come back to windows 7? I mean using my win 7 OEM key?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Yeah, you are right in one way. Okay so tell me just one thing, incase I go for a windows 8 upgrade, then will I be allowed to come back to windows 7? I mean using my win 7 OEM key?

yes, there is no reason why you can't........

icebags

Technomancer
^^ just install 8 in another partition, instead of upgrade by overwriting. that will solve this issue.

duke123

In the zone
How can i come back? I did a fresh install of Windows 8 however i still have the hp recovery partition intact. But nothing happens on pressing F11. System does not go into recovery mode :(

once you mess with factory partition recovery partition gets disabled...i think HP did that intentionally..

i think you can still use recovery discs...also the product key under your laptop is still valid ..give a clean install from a windows seven disc..

Didnt make the recovery discs earlier and cannot make them now coz hp recovery manager does work on windows 8. Getting a Windows 7 disc and using my key is an option. Any suggestion where i can download from net Windows 7 home basic? All torrents would be precracked and wouldn't require a serial

Now I hate Windows 8!!! Even Street Fighter X Tekken is not working !!!

Top Bottom