The Windows 8 Thread

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
i manually downloaded the required updates separately and installed it. i did not use microsoft store. it would be a pain for me to download 900mb file through store with my slow internet connection..

Can you give me the link ?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 13884

This is the Screenshot of My Laptop's Recent BSODs. It says DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I dont get it. It shows a system file as causing error. Can anyone help ?

post the minidump file.

upload it to Google drive or dropbox and share the link
Edit: Is ur drivers up to date, try updating ur network driver[read somewhere]

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81868447/IMP/040114-49828-01.dmp

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81868447/IMP/040614-48343-01.dmp

*dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81868447/IMP/040814-44390-01.dmp

Here's The Minidump file as requested. Sorry it took this long. I thought the issue was resolved, until I realized I am wrong when it again happened recently.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I simply used Windows Update to do this and updated without any problems at all. Now I am on WIn 8.1 Update 1.

yep. i know. I downloaded manually because of my pitty internet connection. If something happens in the middle and download restarts without resuming, then i am doomed.:(

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
BTW max of you guys are using Win 8 or Win 8.1?

Actually after reading so much of failure update stories, I couldn't took risk to update to Win 8.1.

What you guys suggest? Stay with Win 8 or move to Win 8.1?

gameranand

Living to Play
I have been using Win 8.1 for many months now. No issues so far, also it looks good and increases productivity, IMO update and also update to 8.1 Upadate 1.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
What condition ??

the dead line of may 12 for current windows 8.1 users.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually after reading so much of failure update stories, I couldn't took risk to update to Win 8.1.

no issues till now for 8.1. update files can be downloaded manually if you fear about failing such downloads(windows 8.1 update 1).

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
What deadline ?

if you are on windows 8.1 and failing to download and install the newly released update 1 before may 12, you will not receive any future updates from microsoft. you might still see update 1 on store as told by whitestar. and that may be the last update you get from microsoft.

amjath

Human Spambot

this is what happened to me when I updated Windows 8.1 from Windows 8
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/157778-windows-8-thread-34.html#post2019392
last night my update was downloading and completed ~2.3GB and when i woke up and saw everything is fu**ed up. Now have to start everything again

update start from where it stopped :D
even if the update gets screwed it will resume with no issues so go ahead

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
if you are on windows 8.1 and failing to download and install the newly released update 1 before may 12, you will not receive any future updates from microsoft. you might still see update 1 on store as told by whitestar. and that may be the last update you get from microsoft.

There is no deadline. You can download whenever you want.

You just have to download all previous update before the latest one, starting from W8.1 Update 1.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
This is what I'm trying to understand. What if someone needs to reinstall the OS after 12th May? In that case he/she needs to update to Win 8.1 first (if he bought Win 8), then again Win 8.1 Update 1 and that too won't help as the user will be missing all the future updates after all these hassles too.

Though there's too much confusion regarding this I guess. \

If it's like, user needs to install Win 8.1 Update 1 to receive future updates then it's fine, because that's how incremental update works.

But I think it's not that. What MS is saying is user needs to update to Win 8.1 Update 1 before 12th May in order to receive future updates. So if a user updates to Win 8.1 Update 1 after 12th May then also he/she will miss future update.

In that case it's better to stay with Win 8 to be secure (in case of reinstalling) :p

Correct me if I'm wrong.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I still don't understand all the confusion with win 8.1 update 1. Its like any other incremental update. Like how, you were required to update to win XP SP3 before you could get any more updates from ms update, its the same thing. Update to win8.1 update1 before you get more updates.

Top Bottom