The Windows 8 Thread

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Windows 8.1 Update 1 is a Mandatory Update
for Future Security Update Offerings

Nothing new. Updates have had dependencies like forever. Could you instal Win XP SP2 without having SP 1 ? This is no different. The only difference being that now they are asking it for smaller updates as well. Makes perfect sense for them.

amjath

Human Spambot
This is not a serious issue, I dont get it why Internet is going gaga for it. Windows 8.1 is ~3gb of update from windows 8. So unlike windows 7 or xp, where you can download all the little little updates all over again.

amjath

Human Spambot
How do I check if I am on WIn 8.1 Update 1 or not ??

Go to registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
On the right, u can find "BuildLabEx".
For Windows 8.1 Update 1 the BuildLaxEx should be "9600.16581....."

OR

In short right click, a tile in Start Screen u can see classic menu drop on the tile. Thats Windows 8.1 Update 1

- - - Updated - - -

If I use a torrented, but untouched copy of win8 for a week, it isn't considered as piracy, is it ?

Untouched?? What about Product Key

Last edited:

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Go to registry

OR

In short right click, a tile in Start Sceen u can see classic menu drop on the tile. Thats Windows 8.1 Update 1

- - - Updated - - -

There was a post suggesting you could install it w/o the product key by modding some file. I promise not to crack it or register it. Gonna move to win server genuine, but wanna test windows for a week before committing to it.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Go to registry

OR

In short right click, a tile in Start Sceen u can see classic menu drop on the tile. Thats Windows 8.1 Update 1

- - - Updated - - -

it is 9600.17031........... for me.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I check if I am on WIn 8.1 Update 1 or not ??

you will see some changes in the tiled interface like a quick button for shutdown and search besides your name.

amjath

Human Spambot
it is 9600.17031........... for me.

I might be wrong. U got the update

- - - Updated - - -

There was a post suggesting you could install it w/o the product key by modding some file. I promise not to crack it or register it. Gonna move to win server genuine, but wanna test windows for a week before committing to it.

Microsoft is giving out Windows 8.1 Enterprise for a 90 day trial. U can check it out
*technet.microsoft.com/en-in/evalcenter/hh699156.aspx

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I might be wrong. U got the update

i manually downloaded the required updates separately and installed it. i did not use microsoft store. it would be a pain for me to download 900mb file through store with my slow internet connection..

amjath

Human Spambot
i manually downloaded the required updates separately and installed it. i did not use microsoft store. it would be a pain for me to download 900mb file through store with my slow internet connection..

I see..

I found my update after force checking for update. Downloading now

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Microsoft is giving out Windows 8.1 Enterprise for a 90 day trial. U can check it out
Download Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation

I cannot download the file using my download manager, and I'm sure as hell not downloading the 3GB iso from my browser.

amjath

Human Spambot
Windows 8.1 Update 1 Initial Impression
#Feels much faster
# metro apps opens a lot faster
#Start Screen power Option added [Useful]
#Search button near login name [lame I dont like, pressing Win key and type something will automatically start search was better. Its still there but a button for it is lame]\
#Classic right click menu for Start screen tiles [its good but the former looks good]
#Taskbar appears on the start screen [WTF seriously]
#Adding Metro Apps shortcut on taskbar [+1 for this]
#Added close button and minimize button for metro apps [WTF]
#Taskbar shows again for metro apps [WTF hate this a lot]
#Minimizing metro apps minimize to taskbar [So minimizing metro apps has shortcuts on taskbar and also on right pane. Comeon Seriously]
#Added "Show my desktop background on start" option in Taskbar and Navigation properties [Okay]

My initial and personal impression

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
This is not a serious issue, I dont get it why Internet is going gaga for it. Windows 8.1 is ~3gb of update from windows 8. So unlike windows 7 or xp, where you can download all the little little updates all over again.

That's right. What I understand is...

1. If you are on Win 8 and don't update, then you will continue to receive update till Jan 12, 2016. So there's no problem if you are on Win 8.
2. Now, if you are on Win 8.1 you must update to Win 8.1 Update 1 before May 12 in order to receive future updates. So if you don't update you are going to miss future updates.

Only problem I see is, if you are on Win 8.1 (or planning to move to Win 8.1) then 12th May is the deadline, that's a serious issue. If someone wants to update to Win 8.1 Update 1 from Win 8.1 later (after 12th May) I think they are saying it won't work. (Is it like this? :O)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
That's right. What I understand is...

1. If you are on Win 8 and don't update, then you will continue to receive update till Jan 12, 2016. So there's no problem if you are on Win 8.
2. Now, if you are on Win 8.1 you must update to Win 8.1 Update 1 before May 12 in order to receive future updates. So if you don't update you are going to miss future updates.

correct.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If someone wants to update to Win 8.1 Update 1 from Win 8.1 later (after 12th May) I think they are saying it won't work. (Is it like this? :O)
i don't think so.what it means is that after 12th may win 8.1 will only show win 8.1 update 1 as the only available update.at least this was the case with my win 7 after its support ended & i only saw SP1 as the only available update.

Top Bottom