The Windows 8 Thread

Now I hate Microsoft for their new update delivery method. A free update that needs to be downloaded each time one wants to clean format his pc is simply ridiculous.

Now I hate Microsoft for their new update delivery method. A free update that needs to be downloaded each time one wants to clean format his pc is simply ridiculous.
I totally agree with u mate ! any solution to this ? we can use any image burning software for this , or backup software like Acronis, Norton ghost etc

amjath

Human Spambot
last night my update was downloading and completed ~2.3GB and when i woke up and saw everything is fu**ed up. Now have to start everything again

update start from where it stopped :D

nikku_hot123

In the zone
I updated successfully. There is no option to save the 3.6Gb download:banghead: it took almost one and half hour to update after download, so be patient.:rolleyes:

Only visible difference is start button.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Thanks to the canny windows 8.1, I had to reinstall all my in/output device drivers - KB, Mouse, Headset

I screwed up my LOL promo series because i dint realize that my mouse drivers werent working before i started the online game :(

Had to reinstall all my drivers

gameranand

Living to Play
Thanks to the canny windows 8.1, I had to reinstall all my in/output device drivers - KB, Mouse, Headset

I screwed up my LOL promo series because i dint realize that my mouse drivers werent working before i started the online game :(

Had to reinstall all my drivers

Well you should had read first. Many sites mentioned that some device would not work without reinstalling the drivers.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Well you should had read first. Many sites mentioned that some device would not work without reinstalling the drivers.

Yeah I know.. my bad.. Infact i guess windows 8/8.1 does show the drivers that may not work after upgrades. I should have checked.

But yeah my overlook did teach me a lesson and i just wanted to alert people here.

guys any simple software to save this image of updated Windows 8.1 ?

Even if you would manage to save the setup files and make it into an iso file, which key would you enter? Microsoft has clarified that Windows 8 keys will not n\work in Windows 8.1. F**k Microsoft.

Our only hope is AMD and Linux. AMD will remove the DirectX dependency and Linux will interest more game developers, creating a smart OS for smart users :)

This may help someone: *windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

moltenskull

Journeyman
Alright,thanks Vignesh and Harshil...for the links. :) However,I have a question/problem-I am running windows update and for the last three hours,it is stuck at 'Checking for updates...' . :( So,do I just go to the page Harshil linked and click on Install Windows 8.1?Could it really be that simple?

moltenskull

Journeyman
I know it does not come in the windows update section.:D I read that you have to install all updates available (including a particular one whose name escapes me at the moment and without which PCs won't qualify for the upgrade),restart the PC and then start store....:)

Vignesh- Tried that...No luck for me..:(

I would also like to mention that my GPU is not in my PC at the moment...Does swapping out hardware cause issues with Windows update?Also,some message about reverting to default bios settings appeared a few days ago,but before I could read it,it just reverted to default settings and restarted.

Why can't I find the update in the Store? - Microsoft Windows Help

The above page mentions the update number for Windows 8.1 to appear in the store,if it helps anybody.:)

Also,one particular update-KB2802618 is installed for about 10 times in my Windows update history list.

Top Bottom