The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket357

Security freak
gx_saurav said:
You mean PowerPC G5 CPU with 4 GB RAM limit due to chipset limitations. Yup, Apple used a 64bit CPU first.

Oh wait, Windows XP X64 on Intel Itanium? Nope....no one knows this.

I didn't say they claimed to have done it *well*, I just said they claimed to have done it *first*...haha

Well, ok...they said "the world's first 64-bit *personal* computer." My bad. heh

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
faraaz said:
I thought Macs came bundled with iLife and the Office suites...what more do you need if you buy a Mac?? Photoshop maybe...if you are a multimedia pro...

And speaking of Macs, I actually wouldn't mind a Macbook Pro...runs on a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM (which I'll add) and a 256 MB NVidia 8600 GT...all in a sweet 15" shell that looks pretty hot...if only it cost like 40,000 less. 1.3 lakhs for this machine is robbery...

1.3 Lakhs !!! Grubble fnfslkjdhs mumble sldhioi sslsssjfi awk awk burrrr,
Oh sorry Wtf , it was hard to digest !!

I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 1520 Notebook , this is the config

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T5250
Genuine Windows VistaTM Home Premium (But i wanted ubuntu for obvious reasons)
15.4" Widescreen WXGA Display with Tru life
1GB Dual-channel 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Nvidia Geforce 8600 M GT 256 MB
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive - StrikeZone Shock Absorber
Jet Black Color with Matte Finish (six colors available)
Integrated 2.0 mega pixel web cam
Dell Travel Remote Control & Noise Isolation Ear Buds
Wireless 802.11 a/b/g , Lan 10/100 ethernet
8X max DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
8-in-1 Memory card reader
Wireless 355 blutooth module
Dell MediaDirectTM featuring Instant Office (I don't know what is this and i don't care)
+ minor things not worth mentioning

This costs me 53k including all types of stupid taxes. Even if you add a core 2 duo 2.2GHz processor (Customization options available) its 17k more. 1 gig ram is enough for me but 2 gig is better. I did not want vista but they didn't have option for ubuntu :( . So considering this the 1.3 lakh price of the similar(not same) macbook pro is a insane loot. An this dell notebook comes in 6 different colours (even yellow , yuk :D) so you dont feel like the part of 'Clone Army' like in the case when you buy a mac book pro.

*img509.imageshack.us/img509/9314/sc001tb3.jpg

In the end i think i got what i needed at a fair price, may be i should have ordered a 2 gb module but hey the budget would have got out of limits. But i am happy with this purchase .

And , btw the customer care is excellent . They have a total 'Replace' warranty (yes in the case of laptop too) which is awesome. My friend has 2x24 inch Dell LCD Displays (i will post the pics, nice setup) , one monitor had little smudge so he called dell and within 10 day a replacement was at his doorstep. Awesome

goobimama

 Macboy
Anyway, for what its worth, don't get memory from the company. They always overcharge. 1GB from the 'market' is really cheap nowadays...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
goobimama said:
Anyway, for what its worth, don't get memory from the company. They always overcharge. 1GB from the 'market' is really cheap nowadays...

Yeah you are absolutely right.

goobimama

 Macboy
And for what its worth (again), my iMac's keyboard had developed some 'hard' keys. Those keys which I didn't use quite often. So I asked my apple store how to clean it up. "Don't worry, I'll order a replacement". I'm not feeling a bit guilty, cause the keys are not even thaat hard. Though the guilt kind of vanishes when I think that I've paid 9k for extended warranty...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey tarey and goobi doesnt adding another ram or say any hardware on ur own and not from the company violate the warranty

faraaz

Evil Genius
Screw that...I am getting a Dell XPS M1210...or its equivalent next year because that's when I'm leaving for Switzerland & my MBA...

A 2.2 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 256 MB 7300 GS (I think..not too sure) in SUPER slim 12.1" body. FOr about 90 K...and I think it has a 1.3 MP cam built in too...

Going to wait till prices fall even more and they upgrade the graphics card options a bit...

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
iMav said:
hey tarey and goobi doesnt adding another ram or say any hardware on ur own and not from the company violate the warranty

Yes it does , i have 1 yr warranty (didn't opt for extended) and in this period i am not gonna upgrade the RAM . My case

I am just eager to test how the Nvidia 8600 M GT 256MB performs.

goobimama

 Macboy
Well my apple store told me all I have to do is remove the new RAM before sending it back to apple, if the need arises.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
iMav said:
wat happnd to ur old id sorry new id damn confusion :confused:

I am back on my 'old' id. Sorry for the confusion , i just made that id after my exams ended for some fun.

goobimama said:
Well my apple store told me all I have to do is remove the new RAM before sending it back to apple, if the need arises.

Hey goobi , do you have to send back the Macbook ?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
I have an iMac as well as an iBook. Most of the time one doesn't have to. Once my DVD writer wasn't performing well. They ordered a replacement. Right now I'm getting a replacement for my keyboard cause some keys have sort of become a little hard :)

However, when the HDD gave up on the iBook, I had to send it back. I did get a powerbook as a standby during that time...was hard to let go.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
so in mac's case it does not violate the warranty ... good for u
it doesn't void the warranty in non-apple notebooks too provided the upgrade is a part of the package and a company certified ram is put in. the same apple wid apple too! i don't think u can remove the stock ram and put ur own ram (in the sense that u've got the ram urself)... and still it doesn't void ur warranty!

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
infra_red_dude said:
it doesn't void the warranty in non-apple notebooks too provided the upgrade is a part of the package and a company certified ram is put in. the same apple wid apple too! i don't think u can remove the stock ram and put ur own ram (in the sense that u've got the ram urself)... and still it doesn't void ur warranty!

Yes , thats the case.

Dell's replace policy does not include sending product back to the company , you will get the replacement first , Then only you have to hand over the old/existing hardware to them.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hey goobi, If I have a PowerPC Mac with Mac OS X 10.4, & suppose now I buy a Macbook which already has OS X 10.4 installed, then how do I move all my files & settings from old MacOS to new one?

To move files, I can simply use some pen drive to move them. However, how do I move my files like Safari book marks, or iTunes settings & Library?

In Windows, I can simply use the "File & settings transfer wizard"

Well, this I have been using already, just wanted to share with everyone out there. Andy told me about it here in the forum long time back.

If you are using a Mac, then to get a generic webcam to work, Use Macam. It is basically an Open Source compilation of drivers for various webcam chipsets & there is preety much a chance that your webcam might work.

My LifeCam VX - 3000 doesn't work properly though. I see the image, but teh colours are all washed out & highly saturated. Its support is under construction though.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
*www.apple.com/macosx/features/setup/

Trouble-Free Transfer

Setup Assistant shows you exactly how to connect your old Mac to your new Mac, taking the worry out of migrating your network settings, user accounts, documents, photos, applications and more. One cable, four steps and you're done.

---------------

I've seen this at work. Just as advertised. No hassles, no settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom