The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket357

Security freak
goobimama said:
Installing Apache on OS X = System preferences > Sharing > Click Start Web server. Done.
Just curious...were your Apache modules compiled statically or dynamically? =P

And just to comment on this thread's main topic...I'd buy a Mac, if I had the money for it. (I'd wipe OSX off of it and install Linux, but hey! I'd buy a Mac!)

rocket357

Security freak
iMav said:
even if it did its useless for me :lol:

Not that I have *much* experience with Macs, but given the review it's receiving even from it's supporters I don't think Mac and I would be a match...so I have to agree, iMav. heh

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ So this is it huh folks? Speaking without experience...

Seriously guys, there's nothing like OS X. I've seen the ups and downs of windows since 1992, and when I moved to OS X it was like....getting ice cubes in hell...

For instance, I can't get rid of this virus that has gotten to my Vista system....

Last edited:

rocket357

Security freak
goobimama said:
^^ So this is it huh folks? Speaking without experience...

I prefer to do things from the command line. I prefer compiling software from source code to downloading some precompiled package. I prefer doing things MY way, rather than some dictated methodology that some os vendor decided upon. I prefer to do things "the hard way" because I learn more that way, and should something ever go wrong with my GUI system, I can fix it without asking stupid questions. I prefer efficiency to eye-candy.

And above all, I prefer security to ease of use.

Sound like a match for Mac?

It's not much of a match for Windows, either...haha

goobimama

 Macboy
You are absolutely right (in a totally non-sarcastic way). There's no way you gonna fit in to OS X where there's nothing to fiddle around with...

praka123

left this forum longback
as far as window users are a majority,most dont care what other Operating Systems can offer.even if they are better and frees you from teh label of a theif.for eg alt OS:GNU/Linux or BSDs. :-|
pirate addicts/warez addicts(many windows users i can see) are mind locked by warez forums and antiviruses,antispyware,anti-*(may i say nurses for ur windows os)
with pirated windows OS(take india pls) and cracked softwares many users attained their Nirvana.this is what am pointing to.the greatest feature as of now with windoz is Piracy :lol: even one of our forum members site got his pic and along with it the crack for Windows XP :shock:
MAC users buy genuine.this is what i thought.but with tainted members here in the forum shows that mac too mm.. pirated :(
I hope most MAC users are not.but with macintel that too woes :(
When piracy is done.Windows also done.microw-soft too ;)
Let the mentality change. :idea:

rocket357

Security freak
goobimama said:
You are absolutely right (in a totally non-sarcastic way). There's no way you gonna fit in to OS X where there's nothing to fiddle around with...

Exactly, that's all I was saying. Someone mentioned that OSX is "dumbed down to the core", and I thought "ehh, that's not for me...I like to tweak stuff too much for that to be useful *for me*"

Wasn't putting down OSX...just saying it wouldn't fit MY needs.

goobimama

 Macboy
MAC users buy genuine.this is what i thought.
That's what I thought as well! When I first went into the apple store, they were like, don't worry about software (in sort of hushed tones), we'll take care of that. And then I look at demonoid.com, its loaded with stuff.

faraaz

Evil Genius
I thought Macs came bundled with iLife and the Office suites...what more do you need if you buy a Mac?? Photoshop maybe...if you are a multimedia pro...

And speaking of Macs, I actually wouldn't mind a Macbook Pro...runs on a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM (which I'll add) and a 256 MB NVidia 8600 GT...all in a sweet 15" shell that looks pretty hot...if only it cost like 40,000 less. 1.3 lakhs for this machine is robbery...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
faraaz said:
I thought Macs came bundled with iLife and the Office suites...what more do you need if you buy a Mac?? Photoshop maybe...if you are a multimedia pro...

Mac comes with iLife, if you have an old Mac then you can buy iLife for $70 which is even less powerful then Neooffice.

Microsoft Office : Mac comes at an additional price.

And speaking of Macs, I actually wouldn't mind a Macbook Pro...runs on a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM (which I'll add) and a 256 MB NVidia 8600 GT...all in a sweet 15" shell that looks pretty hot...if only it cost like 40,000 less. 1.3 lakhs for this machine is robbery...

Yup, hot indeed as in temperature. But comon....just look at the UI, it looks so cool :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Mac comes with iLife, if you have an old Mac then you can buy iLife for $70 which is even less powerful then Neooffice.

Microsoft Office : Mac comes at an additional price.
Just proves what GX's words are worth. He's comparing a Multimedia suite to an office suite...

And does Microsoft office for Windows come for free?

There's loads of software for the Mac, Adobe's CS3 is just one of them.

FYI, the Macbook Pro can be bought for like 1.1 lacs, official price is 1.18lacs though...

Btw, its also an LED display. I haven't seen it yet (will see it next week when the new MBPs arrive at apple store), but its supposed to look smokin'!

Last edited:

rocket357

Security freak
goobimama said:
Just proves what GX's words are worth. He's comparing a Multimedia suite to an office suite...

Isn't this entire thread something like "comparing a Multimedia suite to an office suite"? Guaranteed, there's overlap, but you can't argue against Mac's niche in the multimedia industry and Windows niche in the business/office industry.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^^ lolz...isn't that what the Mac vs PC ads show :D

Yup, too bad LED Display & Santa Rosa came to PC long before it came on Mac. Apple is always behind PC in hardware technologies. They didn't even use SATA 2 till C2D Macbook pro :D

And does Microsoft office for Windows come for free?

Its not about Free, its about whether Mac comes with an Office suite. Answer is no

Windows OEM PCs usually come with MS office at a very low price then retail which you have a choice not buy.

Last edited:

rocket357

Security freak
gx_saurav said:
Apple is always behind PC in hardware technologies. They didn't even use SATA 2 till C2D Macbook pro :D

Yeah, but...but...Apple went 64 bit before PC's! And look at the amount of memory you can get! And look at the UI! And...aww, forget it...

Actually, I find it ironic that the Microsoft Xbox 360 runs on IBM PowerPC processors and Mac is migrating to Intel...

Kinda like a weird "role-reversal"...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yeah, but...but...Apple went 64 bit before PC's! And look at the amount of memory you can get!

You mean PowerPC G5 CPU with 4 GB RAM limit due to chipset limitations. Yup, Apple used a 64bit CPU first.

Oh wait, Windows XP X64 on Intel Itanium? Nope....no one knows this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom