The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Good Software:), but its Apple :D, there is always a catch.

Apple said:
  • A standard FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin)
  • Your old Mac must have Mac OS X version 10.1 or later installed
  • Your old Mac must have built-in FireWire and support FireWire Target Disk Mode

So, buy a new firewire cable too which is rare compared to USB 2.0, & I wonder why it works only with Firewire?

2nd option is irrelevant. Whose using Mac OS 9 these days anyway.

What if the old Mac doesn't support firewire target mode? then what?

on the other hand, in Vista..............

goobimama

 Macboy
WTF is this? Most macs have Firewire ports. I don't know one which doesn't have. OS X, I mean common, you got to give them that as well.

And I suppose, all Macs that have a firewire port, support booting in Target disk mode. I don't think your hackintosh will do the same, but that's your problem. That's why a mac is a mac.

Firewire, cause its so much faster than USB, especially when dealing with large amounts of data. Yeah, I've tried it. Same HDD, USB mode, and firewire mode. And anyone who's got a mac should have a firewire cable somewhere, cause I love this target disk mode thing. When my Windows networking is acting funny, I just boot in target disk mode, connect it to my firewire port on the PC, and voila!

I got to admit, I suck when it comes to network configuration.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
And I suppose, all Macs that have a firewire port, support booting in Target disk mode. I don't think your hackintosh will do the same, but that's your problem. That's why a mac is a mac.
Yo, I am not concerned with Hackintosh here :)

And anyone who's got a mac should have a firewire cable somewhere
This is the wrong part. Old Macs have Firewire 400 which is slower then USB 2.0. All I am saying that Apple should not have restricted it to Firewire only cos this feature can also work over USB

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm talking about Firewire 400. It is faster than USB2.0 even though USB is 480mbps against firewire's 400. Try it out sometime.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I have tried it, Firewire is P2P based, so transfering one big file is faster then USB, but transfering many small files is even slower then USB 2.0

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
gx_saurav said:
lolz...this thread will go empty. Enough of flame wars, I don't wanna get banned again...so I will prefer pointing out pros & cons in Mac in that thread

gr8

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Just wanted to show something :D

*img260.imageshack.us/img260/3356/vista1nt8.th.jpg

Guys, trust me, this is Windows Vista :p. hack....we can customise it like whatever we like.

Once I started to work like this I came to realise that how much Mac OS X needs Expose. Due to its window management system Windows Vista has no need for Expose. Good thing I had both FlipTab & Instant View in Vista.

I was also missing Zoom of Mac OS X, again....something only required in Mac OS X & not on Windows. Windows Vista has its own better Window management system due to which we only need one Window of one app to do what ever we need.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i agree expose is required on a mac coz u dont hav everything on a taskbar or watever apple's calls their bar

and man thts a neat desktop ... btw i wonder can i make my os x look like windows hmm ... no but guess wat windows can be made to look like its evil cousin :lol:

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iMav said:
and man thts a neat desktop ... btw i wonder can i make my os x look like windows hmm ... no but guess wat windows can be made to look like its evil cousin :lol:

Windows can be made to look like anything. Windows, Mac OS, KDE, GNOME, QNX, NeXT, BeOS.....what ever u like or something completely different with 3DNA desktop

Linux can be made to look like anything the user want. GNOME, KDE, Windows Vista, XFCE, Enlightenment 17....

Mac OS can be made to look like..............................................
......................................................................................
wait, still trying to figure out.................................
just wait.........................dang, Mac OS X can be made to look like Mac OS X :D

I thought of using the same icon theme I m using in Mac OS X on Windows, but then I dropped the idea....if I would have done that, Arya would have come here & said " U r lying, thats original Mac OS X"

But, since El Jobos said Mac has a good UI, be it.Thou shell not customize, all hail Jobs, his personal style be in command.....all Mac should look the same...communism prevails. :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Try as you might you will not be able to fool anyone with that cheap hack of yours. FlyakiteOSX can do that and more. Anyway, you won't get the functionality that is the title bar in Windows. Its always "windows".

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
Try as you might you will not be able to fool anyone with that cheap hack of yours.
Yup, very cheap :D = Free softwares to make Vista look & work like Mac OS X.

FlyakiteOSX can do that and more.
Yup, on Windows XP no vista.

Anyway, you won't get the functionality that is the title bar in Windows. Its always "windows".
A better way to do things. :p

I wonder if I should write a complete tutorial of converting Windows Vista to look & work like Mac OS X. Well...too much to write, & its obvious for some other fellow members to do it.

goobimama

 Macboy
Here's a small amateur screencap that I've done and uploaded to youtube. Its around 800kb with a poor video quality n all. Bout 30 secs weighing at 800kb or so.
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx4HrhkpLXk
It goes like
I'm working on a file in textedit, when I realise I need to use a more powerful software like word. Just drag the file into word, and wazzack, its there.

Then I want to copy it to the pen drive, just drag it to the pen drive, wazzack, it pops out, and leave.

The third part is where I open a file, but don't know its file location. Just command+click and...scazzack....i'm there.

I hope I haven't screwed up somewhere...:)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I would like to tell the Windows Equivalent

I'm working on a file in textedit, when I realise I need to use a more powerful software like word. Just drag the file into word, and wazzack, its there

If it is a RTF file then drag & drop to Word icon. If it is TXT file then Word whether on Mac or Windows doesn't supports txt drag & drop. Copy & paste or open in Word file

Then I want to copy it to the pen drive, just drag it to the pen drive, wazzack, it pops out, and leave.

If you have the file in Explorer in front of you, then right click & send to Pen drive

If not, Start->enter file name in search box, u will see the file in start menu, right click -> sendto pen drive
The third part is where I open a file, but don't know its file location. Just command+click and...scazzack....i'm there.

Again, search for file name

Some other videos at the page of goobi's video. :D

Fun with Vista - The Real "Wow"

goobimama

 Macboy
Where is the word icon in Windows? Its in the start menu, cluttered on the desktop which one has no access to while one is "maximised", or in the quicklaunch, where you can't drop a file. And on OS X, you can force an app to open ANY file, by holding command.

2. I'm talking of a file which is open. The other day I was working on a doc in photoshop, when my friend came along and said "save this to my pen drive". I just dragged the icon to his drive and he was like "whaaat! holy mo..."

3. Of course you can search for the filename, but isn't this much easier?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
Where is the word icon in Windows? Its in the start menu, cluttered on the desktop which one has no access to while one is "maximised", or in the quicklaunch, where you can't drop a file.

You means something like what this video shows.....hmm...its there since....i don't know, Word XP & WIndows XP maybe maybe :D. Eye opener time...we can drag anything to anywhere in Vista.

Dragging & dropping a file to Word icon in Startmenu 692kb

Dragging & dropping a file to Word icon in desktop 500 KB

The speed of application launch is slow due to high cpu usage when recording the video

2. I'm talking of a file which is open. The other day I was working on a doc in photoshop, when my friend came along and said "save this to my pen drive". I just dragged the icon to his drive and he was like "whaaat! holy mo..."

When a file is open in Photoshop, u see the file name don't u on the toolbar? Write that in the start menu then right click on the file & send to ->pen drive. Both methods are fast, u do it that way, we do it this way.

3. Of course you can search for the filename, but isn't this much easier?

Again, a good feature but I am not missing it here :). I know where my files are

goobimama

 Macboy
1. Well you're dragging it from an explorer window. Not the same thing. I'm talking about, if you don't like how a video plays in VLC, just drag it over to quicktime and there.

2. You have to admit OS X's method is better. Not that Vista's way is bad or anything, its good as it is, but OS X has an edge on that one. Btw, my Vista's search never works properly (I've mentioned this before. Maybe a bugfix, but what can I say.)

3. Of course you won't miss it. Its not there.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Hello all of ya out here, just came here to add my 2 cents. I have installed mac mini's iMac's and also MacPro's in my office. And lemme tell ya nothing comes this close to bling of the comp exterior look when it comes to Mac's. But then when I boot the pc and I see big big icons I'm disappointed. Somehow it might be me that I am not that comfy with Mac. Given that I am using Windows for like 8 years and I just touched OSX for what like 5-10 times, but still Mac OSX is way different from Windows. So bottom line is comparisons apart try and get the pluses from each os rather than flame one another.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
1. Well you're dragging it from an explorer window. Not the same thing. I'm talking about, if you don't like how a video plays in VLC, just drag it over to quicktime and there.

Well, I would say it is a indeed a good feature. However, even with a 3rd party addon this isn't something to miss in Windows. We have search but Mac OS X method is more convenient:)

So bottom line is comparisons apart try and get the pluses from each os rather than flame one another.

We tried showing it here but we were bashed & told that we are jealous that we can't buy Apple product :D

If there is a feature in Vista which Mac copies (Windows shadow copy, backup) or some feature in Mac which Windows Copies (Chess) then it is nothing more then adding a compelling feature. But alas....agar macboys ko samajh main aa jata to usko job mil gayi hoti :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom