The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
its not shivering in pants dude just telling u that those minor bugs which are not considered as flaws coz im sure u or nep wud have posted them here ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
First of all, we are talking about Mac OS X and Windows here. Mac OS X comes with support for disk images out of the box and Windows doesn't. OEMs and all are out of the scope of this discussion. If you bring in the PCs from Sony, HP, etc. into the discussion, please do include all the great trailware/bloatware utilities you get with them free of cost.
Ok fine, for one second I assume that a feature should be there in the OS itself & not as some OEM addon, well in that case MacOS X is very much behind Windows as it comes without a Photo management application, Movie editing application, DVD Making software. All these are provided by iLife which is not a part of OS but a separate application bundle.

Either consider only Mac OS X or compare MacOS X running on a Mac with Windows Vista running on Alienware or dell.

About bloatware, well...ya that is a problem which can be removed easily & it reduces the cost & sometimes it is benefitial to the user cos he gets to know about those software which might be something he likes. Does including trial version a bad thing? The user is given the application to try, which if he likes he can buy & if he doesn't he can remove.

Second, no PC in the world from any manufacturer whatsoever comes with Adobe Photoshop out of the box.
Nope you are the biggest ignorant person in the world. You got some problem in reading I guess, I m quoting what I said.

Me said:
Hell, they even come with Adobe Photoshop/premiere Elements, & I hope now U won't say that iPhoto is better then Phothshop
Now, go to adobe.com, find out about OEM Discount & find out about whether these are full fledged version costing one lakh or normal consumer grade version of the applications.

If I start naming those bugs here, you will start saying that they aren't bugs and you will create controversies over it which will end up in that (useful) thread losing its value. Vishal might even be discouraged by seeing all the negative response. So I left that thread alone. And as I can clearly see, so has nepcker.
Vista is buggy yes, when did we not admit it. It is you who doesn't admits that Mac OS X is buggy & flawed. That is what shows your ignorance.

Imagine the reverse case scenario, a thread about the bugs in Mac OS X or someone seeking help with a kernel panic. You guys would have jumped down that person's throat criticising Mac OS X at every possible opportunity.
Ilugd had some problem with his Mac Pro & Pro Tools from AVID, which Mac boy helped him there? None. Do you know how to configure a firewire port for better stability boy?

"If you select multiple folders in Finder & right click to "Get Info", you are left with 6 panes with individual info & not a combined info together like Windows, which shows the total folder size or number of files etc."
Ha! Ha! You are an idiot. You have been using the OS for few months and you still post statements as lame as this one.
Yup, let me post the screen shot. And hey, cut option, there...old screen shot, where is it?

arya said:
And this is a promise now, if I even open this thread again, I'll leave this forum. Goodbye!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, the only fun in digit forum is gone.:D

You started this thread now due to getting pwned & since we showed in public that Mac OS X is not perfect as it was portrayed by you, you are chinking out.

Do post the flaws of Vista running on an OEM computer, cos Mac OS X is also an OEM OS running on OEM hardware by Apple.

Vista comes without Optical Disk Mounting feature. MacOS X only mounts ISO out of the box automatically (DMG doesn't count as it is Mac specific).

Vista running on a Dell comes with Nero or Roxio which both support Virtual Optical Disk management & mounts ISO, NRG, CUE, BIN DAO etc. Mac OS X running on a Apple iMac OEM (Example) doesn't mount any CD format other then ISO.

Fellow members, you decide which OS running on an OEM computer has an edge here.

Seriously arya, learn something from goobi. He is also a macboy & sometimes smug, but he is not ignorent or a sales man for Apple product like you are. Is it written somewhere in Apple Eula that once you buy a Mac, it is your job to advertise it all over the net or in your personal life & convince others to buy Apple product. I mean, most Mac boys are marketing agents for Apple products.

Last edited:

arcticflare

Journeyman
The self proclaimed mac genius feels that the guys who own macs belong to an extraordinary league whereas the Windows users are mediocre.If a mac is really miles ahead of windows as u proclaim then why is it that windows is the most widely used OS and not mac OS.

shantanu

Technomancer
arcticflare said:
The self proclaimed mac genius feels that the guys who own macs belong to an extraordinary league whereas the Windows users are mediocre.If a mac is really miles ahead of windows as u proclaim then why is it that windows is the most widely used OS and not mac OS.

100% right said my friend.. but who can tell this to arya.. he behaves like a CAT (Khisiyani Billi Khamba Noche) :D:D:D

when i told him sometime that more then 85% people in the world use windows, he said :

hey dude, only 10% people in the whole world use computers, how can this be possible that 85% uses Windows..

i think anyone can tell that we all only talk about computer users, and only computer users use an OS.. so this shows the level of IQ and common sense he has..

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
relax ... mac boys have been totally pwned ... with nothing to say to the flaws pointed out ... i remmbr arya posting every whr saying tht we installed macs and thought we wud find flaws with so much arrogance and belief in the crap os x and now tht flaws have been posted he is commenting on others' english ...

hey nep u still havnt told me how cut-paste files/folders between drives

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
shantanu said:
when i told him sometime that more then 85% people in the world use windows, he said :

[hey dude, only 10% people in the whole world use computers, how can this be possible that 85% uses Windows..

Ha ha ha..................thats the best joke(unintentional) i've heard in the whole year :))

blackleopard92

In the zone
i think he is banking on our intelligence... out of 10% computer users, 85% use windows should be the correct statement.
that means 8.5% people use windows :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arre who cares how many use windows the fact is that mac lacks basic features and they still say that it is better :?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
(Nutcase) Macboys : Walking definition of arrogance & ignorance.

Arya is behaving just like his mentor, who when had nothing to say, used to deviate the thread towards UNIX back end etc.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
gx_saurav said:
See Mac Ad, about "Virus". Mac says "We do not get virus at all"

My god. You get the name of the spot wrong. You make up a nonexistent quote. Then you can't even use proper English.

I am not talking about the battery recall worldwide. I am talking about the various news we can read on engadget or ars or neowin.

And what does that even have to do with Mac laptops being too thin? Do you have ADHD?

Why is expose better? Small thumbnail? I just replied to your statement that FlipTab is Expose clone. Well, I am asking all members here to read the post & reply here whether they think that a feature available in Windows since 2002 (with powertoy) is a clone of a Expose which came in 2004 or not.

Expose is better because it uses larger, live updating thumnails that can be all open windows or only those of the current application and invoking it doesn't automatically switch context. Further, Expose shows you where those thumbails come from as it creates the thumbnails. And you need something extra in order to get that feature?

Fellow members, did anyone else had the problem to play the video? If not then nepcker, you don't know how to use Windows or how to install codec.

Yeah, I guess it's too bad you didn't use Quicktime or a standard like MPEG4 where it actually works.

Shell I with the help of any developer prove why dll = dynamic link library is better then bin = binary file.
A dll is a binary format file, and it does contain portions of executable binary code. On the OS X side, at least you should be comparing dll's to shared libraries (which, like dll's consist of code and resources shared by multiple applications).

I'm no hard core developer, but at least be consistent and compare oranges to oranges, not generic fruit to vegetables, or whereever you were going with that statement. A bin=binary file could be referring to an image/sound theme for a game - it does not inherently imply anything about an OS or a computing platform.

A dll is certainly analogous to a shared library, but binary ain't got nothing to do with it.

Now the turn of Vista's faults:
Colors are not consistent. Mac OS X is the only operating system in the world that follows International Color Consortium (ICC)'s standards fully, so, with Tiger, the color you capture is the same color you see on the screen and in your final printed materials. No waste. No surprises. No disappointments. No other platform is better suited for color pros.

UAC: The most annoying-and-useless feature. Mac OS X also has some form of a UAC, which only comes when you're making significant changes to the system (read: when some programs try to access the Library folder). Vista, on the other hand, annoys you constantly, and impedes users in their day to day use of it.

I'll be adding more in the coming days. (Don't want to post all at once)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
u did not tell me how to cut files/folders between drives

colore are not consistent ... hmmm do u know there is something color profiles .. i guess u dont ... search for it ;)

UAC ... its not an issue ... if u know how to use windows ... u dont need uac it can disbled and not an issue unlike the mac version where u always need to enter a password .. .now i would prefer clicking go ahead in uac rather than typing my password everytime ;)

anything else

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
What does cut-and-paste do? It physically removes the file(s) you've chosen from where it is and puts it where you want it to be. And what does command+drag do? The same thing. Isn't that like a Cut option?

No, colour profiles won't give me as accurate colours as ColorSync of OS X gives me.

As for UAC, you only need to enter the password for installation of some extremely limited applications, who try to access the Library folder.
If OS X will allow the access, then it won't be as secure as it is now.

Security experts have already found out ways to bypass Vista's UAC. This means that only the genuine apps will ask for your permission. Vista is still not as secure as Mac OS X.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey dumb a$$ who installs the application?

i told u before command+drag is what cut-paste is used to avoid ;) i told u and u calld me an idiot saying i cant figure out how to cut files ... well smart a$$ i couldnt figure out how to cut files coz the option isnt there ... cut-paste only mouse ... 1 hand ... drag-drop ... both hands, keyboard+mouse ...

next time make sure how smart u are before u call ppl idiots ... being like something isnt being the thing

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
nepcker said:
My god. You get the name of the spot wrong. You make up a nonexistent quote. Then you can't even use proper English.

No sorry, when i write in a forum what matters for me is to convey my message, not literature.

And what does that even have to do with Mac laptops being too thin? Do you have ADHD?

This has to do with the overheating problem with Mac, now do i have to clarify everything. I am sure now that you are so immature in understanding something

Expose is better because it uses larger, live updating thumnails that can be all open windows or only those of the current application and invoking it doesn't automatically switch context.

FlipTab has been doing this for quite some time already. Those thumbnails in fliptab are also Live. Same goes with the context switch.

Further, Expose shows you where those thumbails come from as it creates the thumbnails. And you need something extra in order to get that feature?

Plz clarify this to me

Yeah, I guess it's too bad you didn't use Quicktime or a standard like MPEG4 where it actually works.

MPEG4 = Standard, :D You must be joking right, no seriously r u high today.

A standard is something which i widely used & accepted by majority of people. IN this context the standard in videos out there is avi or DivX

A dll is a binary format file, and it does contain portions of executable binary code. On the OS X side, at least you should be comparing dll's to shared libraries (which, like dll's consist of code and resources shared by multiple applications).

I just said it, sorry I don't know about how dll or bin works. Developers in this forum can make it clear.

Now the turn of Vista's faults:
Colors are not consistent. Mac OS X is the only operating system in the world that follows International Color Consortium (ICC)'s standards fully, so, with Tiger, the color you capture is the same color you see on the screen and in your final printed materials. No waste. No surprises. No disappointments. No other platform is better suited for color pros.

No, you are saying this keeping Windows XP in Mind, & not Windows Vista. Plz boot into Windows Vista, & try applying colour profile using colour management in control Panel. Plz do so, I am also working here in Photoshop & 3ds max & even I am using consistent colours all over.

UAC: The most annoying-and-useless feature. Mac OS X also has some form of a UAC, which only comes when you're making significant changes to the system (read: when some programs try to access the Library folder). Vista, on the other hand, annoys you constantly, and impedes users in their day to day use of it.

UAC is a good feature, but not correctly implemented. Yes, we do need a "Remember my settings" button. :D. Mac OS X asked me for password even when I tried to change an Icon using Candybar. Hey let me know if I can disable this Password thing in Mac.

nepcker said:
I'll be adding more in the coming days. (Don't want to post all at once)

So, now you are gonna dual boot trying to pawn US .:D, hey nepcker, this isn't about Windows flaws, yes we know it has flaws & we admit it. However do you admit that there are flaws in Mac OS X?

No, colour profiles won't give me as accurate colours as ColorSync of OS X gives me.

Plz try it, it will be an eye opener for u :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
taklkin abt uac ...

in vista:

im the only user
im the admin
i can disable uac
i can install any app w/o being warned
also i can uninstall any app from a control panel

in os x :

im the only user
im the admin
i want to install something
i have to give my password everytime
i want to install an app
i hav to load the dmg again
i cant un-install the app until the program developer gives an option

hence we can derive iMav's first law of user friendly OS:

the user having the ability to install an application without being asked for password or being warned that he is installing something is a user friendly OS

iMav's second law of user friendly OS:

the ability to transfer files/folders from 1 drive to another using 1 input device & able to drag-drop to the desired location & also having the option of canceling the move or ability to change the move to a copy makes a user friendly OS

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iMav said:
i cant un-install the app until the program developer gives an option
You can drag & drop some application to trash while others which come as installers will need to be uninstalled using a commercial third party application because MacOS X comes without an Unified uninstaller

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
i don't know about others but i fell in love with os x :) i just removed windows and now os x is my primary operating system :)
it is fast, it looks good, and adium is a great piece of software its auto reply function really impressed me :)

And i think there is noting wrong if os x or any os ask for password when installer try to access system file or try to install any thing in system directory. Just imagine what would happen if any body send u a bat file with del * or shell script with rm -r / and u click on it!
it will damage ur system.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
auto response big deal .... there are a lot msn mess appz tht allow u do tht .... hey desi read in what context a statement is said .... then comment ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom