The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
blackleopard92 said:
urther, with grouping enabled (details). it automatically groups different files according to major column specified, so then we can hide those simply by collasping the group.
eg, if u have about 100 dlls, and about 30 txt files in a folder, then i simply click the "type" column so that vista groups them by extension, then i collapse the dll group and then i can browse through my txt files without having a single dll in my way.
this grouping can be according to hundreds of details specified by vista, including tags, names, sizes, date modified, authors, titles, albums, artists, etc etc.
Thats another enhancement in Windows Explorer. sorting by groups of a particular file/tag/extension only :)

This is a graphics representation.

*img479.imageshack.us/img479/9733/untitledwt6.th.jpg

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I know you guys will never agree but
more features != better.

This feature only serves to complicate things for the user. When you sort by type, you can always view just the DLL portion of the folder. There is no need of an extra (scary) drop-down menu.
BTW, I'm assuming that if you back out of that folder and visit it later, it will still show just those DLLs unless you go back to that menu and deselect the option?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
more features != better.

Obviously it is not. Now since Mac OS X doesn't provides many features compared to Vista, then it is not bad, it is good that Mac lacks in features. :D

This feature only serves to complicate things for the user. When you sort by type, you can always view just the DLL portion of the folder. There is no need of an extra (scary) drop-down menu.

The benifit of this way is not to replace the "Arrange Icons by type" feature. But to show only the dll files of this folder. Obviously u won't understand how windows works. This feature is transparent to user.

That drop down menu is there just to select, & since you do not know how to use windows, you also do not know that you can simply slick outside. Boy, another eye opener for u (buy me a McChicken burger).

Eye opener = Sort according to a particular file type in Windows.

BTW, I'm assuming that if you back out of that folder and visit it later, it will still show just those DLLs unless you go back to that menu and deselect the option?

Nope, you assumption is wrong. See the Eye opener. You go back & if u come to the older folder again, you see everyfile.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
aryayush said:
more features != better.

This feature only serves to complicate things for the user.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

This must be the stupidest statement I ever read on this forum. Or in general. This is beyond stupidity.
Seriously, how low can go?So according to you,any feature which Vista has and Mac doesn't will complicate things?Amazing

Last edited:

blackleopard92

In the zone
the rt click menu is for additional options, generally, those listed are enough.
the screenshot is for windows folder,
*img361.imageshack.us/img361/5958/untitledha7.th.jpg
here i have arranged by type simply by clicking the type column. then i simply collapsed various groups (indicated by clickable drop down arrows) to easily view .txt documents which otherwise are pain to navigate to.

P.S. can anybody help me change taskbar color? it doesnt match with the rest of theme...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
eggman said:
This must be the stupidest statement I ever read on this forum. Or in general. This is beyond stupidity.
Seriously, how low can go?So according to you,any feature which Vista has and Mac doesn't will complicate things?Amazing
finally others on this member have started to realize how these mac boys act, react and talk ... absolute crap and rubbish

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
eggman said:

No, that is certainly not what I meant. The only reason I felt it would complicate things was because I thought that when a person set it to show only a particular set of files, it would stay that way until the user changed it back. If that had been the case, yes, it would have been a useless feature that complicates things. But since that isn't the case, it is a somewhat useful feature. However, I do not see the need to see only a particular type of files when you visit a folder so I cannot say that I miss this feature on Mac OS X.
And I stand by what I said earlier:
"more features != better".

If you find it stupid, you may laugh all you want to. (But I did not see you laughing when gx_saurav was suggesting that Windows does not need Exposé, or that it is a good feature that Windows does not recognise disc images.)

blackleopard92 said:
the rt click menu is for additional options, generally, those listed are enough.
the screenshot is for windows folder,
*img361.imageshack.us/img361/5958/untitledha7.th.jpg
here i have arranged by type simply by clicking the type column. then i simply collapsed various groups (indicated by clickable drop down arrows) to easily view .txt documents which otherwise are pain to navigate to.
You mean like this?
*img467.imageshack.us/img467/1113/picture1vq7.th.png

They wouldn't be a pain to navigate to even if I did not have the ability to collapse those sections, but well, it is there anyway in case someone needs it.

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
gx_saurav said:
Nope, I just mentioned what Mac ads said.

Please give the URL and exact line from a Mac ad that compares an unpatched Mac with a fully patched Windows PC.

Did you forget to read? I said, NVIDIA & ATI gives the OpenGL drivers to Apple which audits them for there OS. It is same as NVIDIA & ATI giving drivers to Microsoft for WHQL Logo, & WHQLed drivers hardly ever crash.

Let's roll back the video tape. You said that there were limited video card options for Macs because Apple didn't make drivers for the rest. ATI and Nvidia develop the drivers (I really hope you can wrap your head around this concept). They don't make them for other cards. They make the OS X drivers to cards being manufactured for Macs only.

Yup, talking about pathetic quality control

No, you were talking about a slim form factor causing premature failure. The failures you just mentioned were unrelated to form factor and in fact, were caused by faulty batteries that were in a number of manufacturer's PCs sold by Sony. And this is coming from the guy that said Mac hardware wasn't bad.

Fliptab is Expose clone, how low can you go man, how low can u go.:D

Fliptab is mubh better then expose for Windows. Expose is good, but it is good for Mac OS X & isn't required on Windows UI.

Why is fliptab better? Smaller thumbnails? And then you say that Expose isn't required in the Windows UI, but ignore the fact that fliptab is.

don't what you wanted to say, but in case you want me to enlighten you, here is an eye opener for u.

I would have downloaded the video (as you seem unable to communicate in text) but the video play failed (on a Windows PC I have access to).

I tried textwragler, 9 MB for notepad, wow talk about efficiency. No wonder dll is better as it can be compressed in so many ways.

TextWrangler is a tad more advanced than Notepad (like a million times). If you want something simple (which I should have guessed to begin with), check out TextEdit, in your Applications folder right now. As for DLL being better, again, you're showing yourself as a troll.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
aryayush said:
But I did not see you laughing when gx_saurav was suggesting that Windows does not need Exposé
Cause , I agree with him.

aryayush said:
or that it is a good feature that Windows does not recognise disc images.
Maybe It slipped out of my eyes, I wont agree though. But its not that laughable.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
No, that is certainly not what I meant. The only reason I felt it would complicate things was because I thought that when a person set it to show only a particular set of files, it would stay that way until the user changed it back. If that had been the case, yes, it would have been a useless feature that complicates things. But since that isn't the case, it is a somewhat useful feature.
Yada yada yada, since Mac doesn't have a feature (cut option or unified uninstaller or Better file management), that feature isn't required & will complicate things. Wow, what a gr8 logic

And I stand by what I said earlier:
"more features != better".
Hey, I follow your analogy for a while. Then why switch to MacOS X leopard from Tiger, i mean you are saying more feature doesn't mean better & according to you every subsequent release of Mac OS X is faster & has more feature then before, then you should stick to Tiger, isn't it?

Oh wait, Apple will make you upgrade or you will pirate or you will want to upgrade due to Job Factor

If you find it stupid, you may laugh all you want to. (But I did not see you laughing when gx_saurav was suggesting that Windows does not need Exposé, or that it is a good feature that Windows does not recognise disc images.)
Nope, I still stand by my words. Expose might be a good feature on a Mac, but it is not something to be missed in Windows :). Learn something about how Windows & Mac UI works.

by the way, what word in English dictionary is "recognise" :D
Please give the URL and exact line from a Mac ad that compares an unpatched Mac with a fully patched Windows PC.
See Mac Ad, about "Virus". Mac says "We do not get virus at all"

No, you were talking about a slim form factor causing premature failure. The failures you just mentioned were unrelated to form factor and in fact, were caused by faulty batteries that were in a number of manufacturer's PCs sold by Sony. And this is coming from the guy that said Mac hardware wasn't bad.
I am not talking about the battery recall worldwide. I am talking about the various news we can read on engadget or ars or neowin.
Why is fliptab better? Smaller thumbnails? And then you say that Expose isn't required in the Windows UI, but ignore the fact that fliptab is.
Why is expose better? Small thumbnail? I just replied to your statement that FlipTab is Expose clone. Well, I am asking all members here to read the post & reply here whether they think that a feature available in Windows since 2002 (with powertoy) is a clone of a Expose which came in 2004 or not.

I would have downloaded the video (as you seem unable to communicate in text) but the video play failed (on a Windows PC I have access to).
Fellow members, did anyone else had the problem to play the video? If not then nepcker, you don't know how to use Windows or how to install codec.

As for DLL being better, again, you're showing yourself as a troll.
Shell I with the help of any developer prove why dll = dynamic link library is better then bin = binary file.

or that it is a good feature that Windows does not recognise disc images.
I guess you again forgot to read. First I never mentioned this. Yes, Windows doesn't recognise mounting disk images like ISO the way Apple does, but hey an OEM PC comes usually with nero or roxio which has virtual disk support. You said "Why would anyone want Daemon tools on Mac". First go & find out what daemon tools does & then come here & say why U don't need it. My reply was to this comment of yours.

disc images loading wat a usp :smile:
You just gave el jobso another idea for Mac AD.

Buy a Mac, you can mount disk images out of the box.

Consumer = So? Daemon Tools (Free) Nero Image drive with my Dell (Free)...whats the point of buying a Mac for this only?

Seriously, Andy & arya made a novelty of Mac OS X, after using it for some days it all seems Phony. There is nothing special or compelling to switch to a Mac from Windows Vista. Yaar why switch & buy a new computer just to run Mac OS X when it doesn't gives evern simple features.

Anyone in this forum, I would urge all of you to use Mac OS X the way I m using it on my nearest Apple Store :D, you will come to know yourself how good or how bad it is.

& just to tell u arya, Mac OS X doesn't mounts bin or cue disk images. So, since there is no Daemon tools for Mac, I can't mount them.

Feature (daemon tools in Vista) does means better.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
by the way, what word in English dictionary is "recognise"
This has gone beyond normal conversation now. I had no idea at all that I was trying to converse with a person who has never heard a word as commonplace and simple as 'recognise'. WOW!

Oxford English Dictionary:
rec•og•nise |ˈrekigˌnīz; ˈrekə(g)ˌnīz|
verb [ trans. ]
1 identify (someone or something) from having encountered them before; know again : I recognised her when her wig fell off | Julia hardly recognised Jill when they met.
• identify from knowledge of appearance or character : Pat is very good at recognising wildflowers.
• (of a computer or other machine) automatically identify and respond correctly to (a sound, printed character, etc.).
2 acknowledge the existence, validity, or legality of : the defense is recognised in Mexican law | he was recognised as an international authority | [with clause ] it is important to recognise that a variety of indirect forms of discrimination operate.
• officially regard (a qualification) as valid or proper : these qualifications are recognised by the Department of Education | [as adj. ] ( recognised) courses that lead to recognised qualifications.
• grant diplomatic recognition to (a country or government) : they were refusing to recognise the puppet regime.
• show official appreciation of; reward formally : his work was recognised by an honorary degree from Georgetown University.
• (of a person presiding at a meeting or debate) call on (someone) to speak.

DERIVATIVES
rec•og•nis•er noun

ORIGIN late Middle English (earliest attested as a term in Scots law): from Old French reconniss-, stem of reconnaistre, from Latin recognoscere ‘know again, recall to mind,’ from re- ‘again’ + cognoscere ‘learn.’

I am sorry for whatever I've uttered till today. I had no idea I was talking to a six year old. I did get some anvil-sized hints time and again, but I always ignored them. Not any more. We'll talk later when you complete pre-school. OK? Good. :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
We, in India, follow British English, not the American bastardised version of it. You yourself mentioned the English dictionary, not the American dictionary. So - no, it will be 'recognised' it this case (and you are not supposed to use double quotes unless you are quoting someone).

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
We, in India, follow British English, not the American bastardised version of it. You yourself mentioned the English dictionary, not the American dictionary. So - no, it will be 'recognised' it this case (and you are not supposed to use double quotes unless you are quoting someone).

Oh My bad, I forgot when u have nothing proper to say, you start mocking other's english.

American english though stupid, doesn't breaks any rules of English.

Arya, eye openers, hey, do u know how to admit that u were ignorent in the past.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Oh My bad, I forgot when u have nothing proper to say, you start mocking other's english.
If my memory serves me well, and it does, you were the one who started it hoping to mock me but like always, the tables turned on you. Now you come up with the standard excuse.

I wouldn't even have replied to your excessively repetitive and useless post if I hadn't come across that uproariously lame statement that sounded like it was typed by a six year old.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Wow, rejoice & jump all over. So many posts & I m still waiting for a half decent reply for the ignorence u showed in the past posts.

shantanu

Technomancer
aryayush said:
(please suggest me to a link where it is written that we follow british english.)
do we select English(britian) as an option in your keyboard layout.. no we select English(india)or english(USA) so we follow American English..

mind it arya what you say.. we never follow British English(britishers left india but they forgot you ),, Its English(india) and i think india has its own identity.. well you may not respect india or indian language.. but can you even think of HINDI once.. i dont think so.. well as per your mentality you will write a sentense in hindi in your next post, just to prove how immature you are.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Dry humor (or rather humour in British) at its satirical best!
This is better than what we usually deal as in innuendo-laden sarcasm.
Digit is getting better ,thanks to the over-working members. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom