The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ignorence at it's best = Arya

aryayush said:
It is hardly my fault that when you try to drag something out of IE it gives you the stop symbol that indicates the action isn't possible but then still allows you to do it.
Again, you feel pwned & got nothing valid to say. Hey do you feel threatened that we will pwn u completely. It gives the stop symbol when it reaches the "Window border". That line, remember. Obviously you cannot drop something on that line.

you still cannot drag text or links or images onto the desktop or explorer or in any of the thousands of other applications on Windows.

How do we say, angooor khatte hain :D. Everyone again, just read what arya mentioned above in bold & see the videos below. Arya, another eye opener for you. :)Yawn: I m getting tired of showing u the way man, now buy me a Mcchicken burger :p)

Draging an image from IE 7 to Explorer Desktop

Draging a URL link from IE 7 to explorer Desktop

(BTW, you've got a super fast computer out there. I thought I was going to be waiting forever for that image to load in Photoshop. I actually had to jump forward into the video because I got tired of waiting.)
Just like always, you are ignorant, feel pwned & do not read or do some research. This is what I quoted.

Me said:
Both videos are DivX encoded. The slow speed of the videos is due to High CPU usage & 5 fps rate while using snagit.
Just to show u speed, this is a same video made by my K750i.

Speed of draging an image from IE 7 to photoshop.

OMG, The earth is gonna explode, it took 3 seconds to open the file in photoshop from temporary internet files of IE 7
:D. My Computer isn't a Core 2 Duo anyway, just an old Pentium 4 3.06 GHz single core with hyper threading, OMG....it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow that 3 seconds are killing my productivity but saving me a lot of money from buying a new Mac.

What an ignorant brat you are arya. Seriously, you have nothing to say or proof, iMav is right, save yourself some embarrassment. The proof is right in front of you but still you do not see it.

Newsflash: I've only ever seen two people with Windows Mobile devices. I want to do it with my Nokia 6300.
let me guess, those two people were professional users making some money on there own with proper jobs instead if sitting on a Mac & posting on forum. Didn't i already mentioned that Contacts do no work with any other phone in last page?
I specifically mentioned that it wouldn't re-maximise all the windows if you manually maximised one of them. If you hit "Win + D" twice without doing anything in between, of course it will show the desktop and then undo it. But more often than not, I want to go to the desktop because I want to launch something. And if I do that, I'll have to manually maximise all the windows.
Ofcourse you had no idea what that is right :D, ignorence at it's best. Why not post a video of MacOS X doing the same. Ever heard of start button in WIndows from where you can start anything? I mean, in 2007 do u still keep shortcuts on desktop? You really don't know how to use Windows. Nope Windows doesn't provide what you are asking form cos it is not required.

Why in the name of God's green Earth would someone need Daemon Tools on Mac OS X!! LOL! Are you completely nuts! And what does Ad muncher do?
Oh, I forgot. There is only one CD Image format out there called ISO. NRG CUE BIN they don't exist. No wait, they do exist just not on a Mac, cos you use it at default settings. Neither does Disk Emulation like safedisk or SecureROM is required on a Mac, due to its lack of games or 3rd party applications.

About Ad muncher :ROFL:, how hard it is to do some research boy :D :D

Yeah, it does not. Even now. I won't install any extension, plug-in or application. Why should I! "What isn't there by default is not a feature." You can only view JPGs, GIFs, PNGs, TIFFs and maybe a few other image formats but you cannot preview Adobe's formats (PSDs, PDFs, AIs, etc.) and you cannot preview videos. You just cannot.
Adobe sued MS for including PDF support in Office 2007, sorry just like this Microsoft cannot support PSD out of the box in Windows Preview cos not everyone requires it & 2nd, if you have photoshop you can easily add this functionality in Windows. They don't wanna get sued for a silly reason again.

:ROFL LMAO: What the hell was I playing in this screen shot posted in last page then. Another eye opener for you, now you do buy me a McChicken Burger. Everyone again, look at what Arya said above & look at what this video is showing. :D

Previewing an AVI Video in Windows Explorer. 3gp file.

(Those who have not seen Pirates 3 should skip the video, I don't wanna spoil the fun)
Two applications. Maybe you can show me three more. That makes five. And that too after showing me a clear sign that it is not supported.
How the hell am I doing this if it is not supported. When were you when god was distributing common sense. :D

You still cannot drag most things on webpages to most other places. For example, you cannot drag some of this text into the Quick Reply box below when you want to quote me.
Yup we can, refer to those video posted above

Drag? Why, ever used copy paste. I know Mac will save it as a new rtf file, but need that when we can simply copy paste the text. Sorry, this is not a good enough reason.

Translation: "Yeah, there were just three or four instances but well, I am gx_saurav so don't expect me to be truthful."
Translation : Yeah, there are many more but Since I m trying to get a job in Apple Store as Mac genius with no knowledge of how computers & an OS works, do not expect me too look at anything others are saying. If it is not my way, then it cannot happen. I just don't understand how things work & like to bow in front of my Mac every morning & lick it. Arya.

:D :D :D

I wanted to make a point about the superiority of Mac OS X over Vista and I've already done so. You haven't had a decent reply to anything I've said till now. Nor will you ever because unlike you, I generally know what I'm talking about.
Ya, that we can see clearly. We also made our point that why Mac OS X isn't the best OS out there. There is nothing in Mac which makes it better then Windows Vista. About my decent replies, well I m not the one calling other forum members "Idiot". And no, you don't know what you are talking about.

Translation = Arya : I generally know what I am are talking about = My Ignorance & arrogance, I cannot be wrong.

Vista, even after blatantly copying everything from Mac OS X, is still crap when compared to Tiger. God help it when Leopard is released!
Arya : I am a fanboy & can't listen to anything against Mac or Apple, now give me the job of Mac Genius cos I m such a loyal Macboy :D

Wasen't Leopard supposed to come before Vista or supposed to feature more futures then Vista, so far time machine (System restore, Volume Shadow copy) & Spaces (Virtual Desktop Powertoy) are the only worth while features.

Oh, this just in, unlike Windows Vista, Mac OS X does not give stupid BSODs on fresh installs. LOL!
Weren't you the one prancing about saying that Microsoft had taken care of that and that the BSOD was gone forever never to be seen again. Well, it seems to have made a craptacular comeback. :lol:
How many hardware does Mac OS X runs on = 20 at max

How many configuration Windows Vista runs at = 2^infinity.

Who makes the drivers for Apple = Apple audits them

Who makes the drivers for Windows = Hardware manufacturers, which do not usually care to pass the Microsoft Audit knows as "WHQL Logo".

Did you read why is he getting the BSD?

Guys, fellow forum members...i would like to ask all of you, who do u think knows about Vista here? Who do u think is saying something without research or knowledge & who do u think is being ignorant.

P.S. - I was joking, don't buy me a burger :d, on Wednesday it will be one month without junk food for me, & I have lost 2 KG weight. GF was saying "You are getting extra thin"

@ Samanvya

Yup, he is a loyal Macboy. We all admit.

BTW, maybe Vista is better for your needs. But it is better in general? No, it is not. I have already given some of the reasons and there are lots more. Vista simply has lesser features and certainly a much worse user interface when compared to Mac OS X, which is, beyond a shadow of doubt, the best operating system ever. Nothing can change that fact.

And Nokia makes bread while Coka Cola makes engine oil.

Features, UI,? No, Prooving something never buzzes a bll in your head.

Anyway, I've said what I'd wanted to all along and unless someone present a convincing argument against me here, I won't bother to post again. (I know I've been unsuccessful so far, but honestly, I'm trying to restrain myself.)

:Yawn: Abe bahar ja, sunday hai....enjoy the day.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Arya is one of rare persons whose determination never falls. It gives me encouragement. Even when he lost the battle, his fighting intensity is same. Kudos to that. :)

aryayush said:
But it is better in general? No, it is not. I have already given some of the reasons and there are lots more.
Who are you to decide which is better in general...lolz
And none of your reason is good enough to convince that Mac is superior to Windows. It has some features which windows lack but with so many flaws and lack of customizations(both in Hardware and software) it can no way be said better than Vista. And gx_saurav already showed how Vista is supirior :

shantanu

Technomancer
aryayush is right ! :D

The best OS ever is MAC OS X (its X rated) :p

MAc is the Best ! Coz Arya is the one who Got a MAC and now it does not matter how embrassed he is with his MAC ! he cant hear a word for it ! (EGO-T)

Well for Arya : Leave Photoshopping , Learn some basics of computing. :p

GX : Well done.. :D

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
gx_saurav, you haven't even removed a single flaw from this post, even though I've found faults in the whole of the post. Change it.

I'm also waiting for the whole reply of my posts.

gx_saurav said:
If something is not there in Windows, chances are there is an alternative available for free. Unlike safari, which requires you to buy Saft for $!2 just for configuring it.
That's why I use SafariStand and Safari Enhancer to configure my Safari. They're free!

Wait wait, Windows users never say there box is secure out of the box, Isn't it the Mac users & Mac ads which state that there Mac is secure out of the box? Then shouldn't I follow what Apple says compare their OS at default out of the box state with a fully patched Vista.
Nope, you just made a strawman.

Nope, Graphics Card manufactures just supply the OpenGL Layer code to Apple which Apple audits & compiles for Mac OS X as per required
Exactly. Nvidia and ATI write the drivers. Do you realize you're contradicting yourself?

Windows XP runs fine on a very bad gaming GPU called Intel Extreme Graphics. GMA 950 has poor gaming performance, but it has more than enough data fill rate & Texel fill rate, along with enough bandwidth for an OS to run. Why do u think GMA X3000 & X3100 are able to run Windows Vista so easily?
They're better chipsets.

In such case to run an OS, a 128 MB Frame buffer is always better, cos it is not frame rates which matter, it is how much data (windows showing on screen is also a texture in Vista & Mac) you can put in the memory. The more memory, the better.
More is not always better. You still haven't explained why using more system RAM as video RAM would necessarily improve performance. If anything, you're assuming the limiting factor is how much data it needs. If that were the case, then standalone video cards with their own 64 MB of RAM wouldn't perform better. They do.

Ya, everyone is well aware of the news which comes out these days stating "macbook swallowed" or "Macbook caught fire even after refurbished battery"
MacBook swallowed? What are you going on about? You're talking about battery issues. So again, you're using middle school logic.

In Vista, just press alt+Tab & you get thumbnail preview of all running applications, just look at what u need & mouse click on it. Simple like this:
Oh, just like Expose. Except the thumbnails are smaller. And if you're using the keyboard, you need to use just as many keystrokes (more than with the Mac).

You don't even need to press command+drag, just drag. But hey, dragging is possible in Windows too & dragging is not equal to cut paste.
Not between volumes.

Close apps does not means exiting them
What does this even mean?

Yup I did, & none of these provided me a free text editor, or a good enough photo manager or a media player which can play my WMA files.
I'll help you because you're apparently completely inept. TextWrangler is free. Try NeoOffice too. As for "good enough photo manager", try GraphicConverter. The free version is slow and the batch function is disabled, but you can buy it for just $30, I guess. Finally, thank Microsoft for a closed proprietary format that they refuse to support on other platforms.

shantanu said:
GX : Well done..:D
He hasn't been able to reply to the whole of my posts (he replied to only some points, but he didn't take back the flaws). I don't think that he is doing well.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
yup, I m not doing well. :D weekend r for timepass & dates.

I won't say much now as those flaws r genuine.

Public support appriciated :)

i never said Macs r bad, i just clerified why they provide nothing usefull except lack of virus compared to Windows XP.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arya and nep ... u say in general mac os x is better than vista ... how about pointing out a numbered difference of what does mac do better than windows

taskbar - better than the dock (as gx said open 10 windows and ur dock is a train not knowing which file is which (of the same app like word))

expose - windows doesnt need it flip 3d more funky

games - need i say nething

moving files from drive to drivew - a charm in windows a headache in mac

cd formats supported .... windows all mac very few .... it showed a couple of my dvds to be empty when they were filed wit 4-5 avi movies

cant remmber more

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
nepcker said:
Nope, you just made a strawman.
Nope, I just mentioned what Mac ads said.

Exactly. Nvidia and ATI write the drivers. Do you realize you're contradicting yourself?
Did you forget to read? I said, NVIDIA & ATI gives the OpenGL drivers to Apple which audits them for there OS. It is same as NVIDIA & ATI giving drivers to Microsoft for WHQL Logo, & WHQLed drivers hardly ever crash.

More is not always better. You still haven't explained why using more system RAM as video RAM would necessarily improve performance. If anything, you're assuming the limiting factor is how much data it needs. If that were the case, then standalone video cards with their own 64 MB of RAM wouldn't perform better. They do.
Ask anyone in gaming section why more Graphics RAM is better :D. what More to say :D

MacBook swallowed? What are you going on about? You're talking about battery issues. So again, you're using middle school logic.
Yup, talking about pathetic quality control

Oh, just like Expose. Except the thumbnails are smaller. And if you're using the keyboard, you need to use just as many keystrokes (more than with the Mac).
ROFL , no seriously did u just had bhang today. Fliptab is Expose clone, how low can you go man, how low can u go. :D

Fliptab is mubh better then expose for Windows. Expose is good, but it is good for Mac OS X & isn't required on Windows UI.

Not between volumes.
I don't what you wanted to say, but in case you want me to enlighten you, here is an eye opener for u.

Draging some files from E:\ drive to c:\ drive vis Windows Explorer.

I kept the cursor static so that you can see it in action to see whats happening. Comon nepcker, this is plain stupid. You are denying the existence of simple features which are there since Windows 98. Just like arya denied that Windows Explorer in Vista does not shows the Video previews. I still remember his words "no chance in hell" :D

I tried textwragler, 9 MB for notepad, wow talk about efficiency. No wonder dll is better as it can be compressed in so many ways.
arya said:
Two applications. Maybe you can show me three more. That makes five. And that too after showing me a clear sign that it is not supported.
You still cannot drag most things on webpages to most other places. For example, you cannot drag some of this text into the Quick Reply box below when you want to quote me.
I forgot to reply to this Quote. I asked once that Firefox doesn't support key chain integration & arya replied "It is developers job to support it". Well, same goes with Windows. It is developer's job to implement this feature of drag & drop to anywhere in Windows applications. The Way Windows works, we don't require drag & drop cos we have the Holy "Cut" feature.

One warning to all users : If you are given a choice to see the Movie "Cheeni kum" starring Big B or use Mac OS X, then chose to use a Mac. It is hell useless movie, why do girls like such movies :?

(issued in public interest)

Last edited:

samanvya_ad

Broken In
public interest warning accepted.... thanks for that...

this has been one of the funniest and knowledgeable threads i ever came accross...

Arya as u said some os is good for some while other for some other....
i am not an expert in neither Vista nor Mac OS X...

but i have used both... just used.... Mac OS X was the best when it came out...
but even on few usages i think Vista is better... might be next OS of Mac is much better than Vista or anything microsoft offers ... but needs of different ppl are different....

still ur determination is great... great going...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Arya's determination to be a macboy is nothing new. It is the case with every macboy out there. Somehow they believe that the World is going in a wrong direction cos people are not using Macs, so they come up in forum or real life & convince us to buy a Mac, even if that means no enhancement in productivity compared to the existing OS we use.

The only reason I find justified to use OS X over Windows Vista is that you need to run some application which only runs on Mac OS X & not on Vista. Thats it.

Feature wise, both Mac & Windows Vista can do the same thing. They both are secure if made secure, both are good for productivity.

However like I have mentioned before, Macboys need to leave there smug attitude & need to stop saying "Windows Copied..." or downplay there lifeline.

With such determination, I am sure he will get a job in an Apple store as Mac Genius, cos to be a Mac Genius U don't need to be good in computer hardware or software, you just need to be good in convinsing people to pay more to buy a Mac & be a Macboy. Once they become Macboy, the chain continues.

I use Windows Vista cuz i dont wanna go learn how to use an OS from scratch.Its not that i cannot use MacOS X , its just that i cant get used to that single click interface. And the Macbook Pro i've used is kinda slow, maybe because the hard drive was jam-packed with filthy stuffs

Right now i am really angry with Windows.I tried burning a dvd with the inbuilt dvd writing software and i lost my precious DVD-RW which had important files in it. Microsoft should chuck our writing software from its OS next time around

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
praka123 said:
Why I Switched Back by :Zed A. Shaw

read:

*www.zedshaw.com/rants/apple_sux.html
Yes, those early iBooks had some severe known flaws that Apple refused to acknowledge for the longest time. They are an arrogant company. The iPod virus case is already fresh in my memory. When Apple blamed Windows for the iPod virus, I felt ashamed to be a supporter of such a company. It was the worst sentence I'd ever read on their website.

I do sympathise with that person and if I was in his place, I probably would have developed a certain hate for Apple hardware too. But that was a bad phase that is over now. Every company has had its share of troubled times and wrong decisions but it does not mean they are always going to suck. There must be a lot of people who bought notebooks from other companies and were shown the rough end of the stick too.

However, I do know that I have been using a MacBook Pro for the past nine months and apart from a very noisy SuperDrive, I haven't faced any problem yet. And when my SuperDrive was making a little noise, Apple replaced it for me in three days. I've had a great experience with Apple so far so I see no reason to not buy the company's products. It is not necessary that a company that made a crap product in 1999 still hasn't upped its standard in 2007.

But what really struck me about this person's blog entry was that even though he was so completely swindled by Apple and is utterly and fiercely against ever being a customer to them again, he still has nothing but utmost respect for Mac OS X.
... the OS X software is great...

This said a lot for how good OS X was...

OS X was finally a decent operating system...

... damn that OS X was sweet. It was all worth the sexy UI and sweet programming model. All the power of Linux or FreeBSD and none of the lame sound support. Hell, OS X had a working backspace key that didn’t put “^H” all over the damn terminal at random points. That’s worth it’s weight in gold.

No matter how great OS X is (and it’s great)...
I used to recommend people to try out OS X before making comments on it but I've stopped doing that now because I unfortunately recommended it to the wrong sort of people and have already been scarred by the experience of trying to show something better to someone. But no matter how you try to spin it, there is little doubt that Mac OS X is the best operating system on the planet and anyone with sense (strong emphasis added) will have the same opinion if he/she has used the operating system.

As for this person, well, all I can say is that I am sorry he had such a poor experience with Apple and wish that Apple had treated him with the respect a customer deserves. But I also know that **** happens and when you are a multi-billion dollar company, you tend to slip up sometimes. It makes sense for him not to buy from them anymore, but it does not mean that just because one person (or a few people) had a very bad experience in 1999, everyone who chooses to buy an Apple product will end up being treated the same way. :)

The intention of this whole essay was not to defend Apple but to put things into some sort of a perspective so that they are not blown out of proportion. Hope no one takes this in a negative way and starts another long-winded cold war against me. Wouldn't be the first time.

What ultimately matters to me is Mac OS X. It is the best operating system and Windows has a lot of catching up to do.

mikael_schiffer said:
Its not that i cannot use MacOS X , its just that i cant get used to that single click interface.
I am not telling you to use Mac OS X or anything but let me just tell you that Mac OS X fully supports right clicking and since I am from a Windows world, I've been using the secondary click (right click, that is) since day one. Just clearing up your little misconception. :)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I used to recommend people to try out OS X before making comments on it but I've stopped doing that now because I unfortunately recommended it to the wrong sort of people and have already been scarred by the experience of trying to show something better to someone. But no matter how you try to spin it, there is little doubt that Mac OS X is the best operating system on the planet and anyone with sense (strong emphasis added) will have the same opinion if he/she has used the operating system.
So, those who don't like or use Mac OS X are jerks as said directly by you.

Yup, we get your point.

Hey, icon spacing in finder.....eye openers here, didn't you said that was all a Lie, well. we all would like to know your reply then

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The answer to your question is yes, they are.

This is a post from aditya.shevade in another topic:
aditya.shevade said:
... my laptop (HP-nx6110-pc416av)will be a year old on 4th June, and I already have had 3 HDD, 2 DVD-writer, one Motherboard, one Bluetooth dongle replacements. And still, the 3rd DVD writer is going down. (or has already gone down, takes an hour to copy data from DVD-HDD (4GB) and 50 minutes to write DVD (4GB). And I use sony DVDs, which are quite good).

And, I have been asking for complete replacement since the first month (when the problems began), and HP people are not listening. OK, fine, but at least provide good service, but no, I had one guy give me a lecture on how nero cannot write DVDs and that I MUST use bundelled S/W (sonic) to burn then (which actually takes more time than nero). Plus, the are slow to respond on live chat.

Again, the parts replaced are not compatible with the ones for which they were replaced. My first DVD-writer could write DVD-RAM and DVD+R/RW DL, but the 2 replaced cannot even write DVD+R/RW DL, leave RAM. So, I am not at all satisfied with HP.
Does this mean Hewlett-Packard is a crap company that makes equally crappy products? No, it doesn't. Every company turns out lemons sometimes and some customers end up getting the rough end of the stick. It does not mean the whole company is crap. Yes, it is for that particular person (and he will recommend others to stay away from that company), but not for me, not for others who have HP products and find them good enough.

I hope this puts things into perspective. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Gr8, fellow members, according to arya we are all jerks cos we do not use Mac OS X or Apple products. That explains the maturity he has.

By the way, I was talking about the reply to the eye openers in which u said "no chance in hell IE 7 can darg & drop to Photoshop".

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I used to recommend people to try out OS X before making comments on it but I've stopped doing that now
tht was coz first u werent aware of the fact tht some day mac cud be installed on a normal pc and u thought 1 wud need a mac to try it and tht being a far fetched dream for some they wont reply to the stupid illusions created by you and andy ... but now things are different

goobimama

 Macboy
I was one of those who didn't "go all out" into recommending an Apple to someone who asked me what laptop to buy. I would drop the thing about Apple, but I always said, don't come crying to me if you make the wrong choice. Ultimately they would go and buy a lenovo or a dell (my recommendations other than Apple).

Then came along this little girl (actually, she's 20) who wanted a laptop. I just gave my usual try the Macbook story, but she said no, not apple. Then when she went to the Apple corner to pick up an iPod nano, she saw the macbook and said what the hell, she'll give it a try. Immediately, from the store itself she calls me up. "Milind I want the Macbook!". First she was drawn by its sleek looks, but after the guy at the showroom showed her how to use frontrow, and all the other wonderful features, she just couldn't turn back.

Ordered the new model with C2D 2.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD for 61k (the guy was quoting 65k, but I have some influence there....).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom