The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Here is a screenshot.

*img80.imageshack.us/img80/6870/ffmacdf3.th.jpg

One thing better about Windows. All u need to do is to download an CPU optimised built of firefox & change a skin, thats it. Now it is windows native all over.

Safari though faster to start, is just kaam chalu for quicktime.com

Wow, 11 bugs in 2 weeks only. That too very silly ones. I wasn't even able to find such silly bugs in Vista itself within 2 weeks of using RTM

Here is something to those who say dock is better then task bar of Windows. MacOS X Dock doesn't groups similar windows.

*img514.imageshack.us/img514/9816/nogroupingix0.th.jpg

As you can see, I got 3 safari windows & 4 finder windows open. Still....they are separate entities & not grouped, making the dock icons small as I increase the Windows. These are when minimized. Now I hope Macboys don't say "This is the Mac way, where you don't minimize windows but you keep them on the screen adding to the clutter" :D

The reason Mac requires Expose to switch cos there are so many Windows open at a time, which if minimized do not group. While in Windows, we do not require this, cos taskbar groups similar Windows & we can switch easily using alt+tab

One more annoyance I found is that, yesterday I was chatting to a friend on Yahoo messenger. The IM Window was at the top, then another web page below it. Another friend IMed me, & the Yahoo messenger Icon in the taskbar flashed but that new IM Window didn't came in front. I had to to use winkey+` to switch to that Window cos Dock doesn't shows me how many Windows of one single app I have open or directly jump to that window. Expose could have also showed me that....but I don't use expose. Dock does shows me open Windows for Yahoo Messenger (Example) if I right click on the Yahoo Icon.

In Windows, another Window opens & it is showed in the taskbar as a separate entity. 2 Windows of Yahoo messenger both shown individually in the taskbar & if I get an IM, that particular window in task bar flashes.
If it does then let me know Mac Genius.

To be very frank, Finder sux

I was about to write a whole comparison between Finder & Windows Explorer but was not able to due to studies, now I guess I will taking a total of 5 6 days. Finder just sux, compared to Windows Explorer, it is slow, no address bar, no direct jumping to any folder anywhere, no icon spacing. I wonder how can macboys call MacOS X a good OS when it doesn't even provides a proper file manager & navigator.

Right now I switched to Path Finder, a finder replacement which does gives me some power back like that of Windows Explorer. Seriously Apple, just buy this company & integrate Path Finder in Mac instead of Finder, lots of annoyances will be gone.

Here is how it looks like, this is what a file manager is. Total control over how u like to work. Use it the way you want it, not the other way around. Since Path finder itself is an application it is a bit slow compared to finder cos it runs on top of finder.

It also has inbuilt support to view MS Word .doc files. Saved me from downloading NeoOffice

*img129.imageshack.us/img129/6991/pathfindercf9.th.jpg

That makes 12 serious issues with MacOS X so far within 2 weeks, if I find two more I can start my own "Month of flaws" for MacOS X :D

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Why else do u think Mac genius is here :D.

That reminds me, is he feeling pwned by 12 serious flaws in 14 days? Where has he vanished.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
he has realized that all his attempts to cover up apple's flaws and hide them are futile and hence decided to do what all ppl once pwned do never return

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Lolz.....^ judging by his other threads, seems like he is indeed a marketing agent working for Apple.

Anyway, anandk asked me to do a review of Windows Vista components. WMP 11 is already done, right now doing Windows Photo Gallery, then Windows Explorer which will also be Explorer vs Finder.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
gx no need ... its way ahead .... save ur time as shantanu has his sig ... mac is a waste of time ... anand .... i think my sig sums up everything ;)

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
gx_saurav said:
Yup, who needs a Mac (hardware) when I can run the same OS on my PC. :D
You are Wrong my friend for the first time. You do own Mac Hardware. Duo Core , Intel MB, Nvidia (Or Intel 950 GMA ).What is Different about this present Mac. Gone are the days of G3 or G4 when really mac was Different.Now Its just the same Hardware inside Albeit Shining Outer Surface.
That you didint Pay 1 Lacs for the Outer Surface is your proof of Intelligence and awareness.
:D
And gx_saurav at this rate the thing that you are learning about Mac ..i know now whom to refer to the Real Mac Genius.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
gx no need ... its way ahead .... save ur time as shantanu has his sig ... mac is a waste of time ... anand .... i think my sig sums up everything :wink:

Just posted the Review of Windows Photo Gallery in Review section.

You are Wrong my friend for the first time. You do own Mac Hardware. Duo Core , Intel MB, Nvidia (Or Intel 950 GMA ).What is Different about this present Mac. Gone are the days of G3 or G4 when really mac was Different.Now Its just the same Hardware inside Albeit Shining Outer Surface.
That you didint Pay 1 Lacs for the Outer Surface is your proof of Intelligence and awareness.
:grin:
And gx_saurav at this rate the thing that you are learning about Mac ..i know now whom to refer to the Real Mac Genius.

No no, I don't own Core 2 duo, I just own an old Pnetium 4 3.06 GHz with Intel motherboard. Wow, Vista as well as MacOS X all runs well on this 4 years, who needs to upgrade. I guess I m not wrong if I say that this is a total value for money computer for me :D

Lolz...nah, I m not looking to be a Mac Genius, although the job isn't bad....but then again, that would mean I would need to brainwash people to buy the expensive & wrong thing in India alongwith constant whining that "Microsoft is Evil & Monopolistic".

It doesn't apply to those who can pay more, but thats just a minority

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Kenshin said:
Thnx....got it...
Let me tell you this is totally illegal.So dont look for file under google such as "vmwares patched file for Macos" or Mac OS X 10.4.5 Myzar.iso.
Thats illegal to download.
Also dont look at this useless link *wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to.
Its bad to run Mac this way on Pc because you are perfectly spoiling the fun you can have with vista and running dumb os.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Now, MacOS X isn't a bad operating system. Even Mac hardware isn't. It is some of the most beautifully designed Hardware out there.

But the biggest gripe about Mac is the Macboys
, they are no different when it comes to computing then Windows or Linux users. They don't even admit that there OS has serious flaws. At least we windows users admit that Vista too has flaws, yes it does. Even Linux has flaws.

Mac just looks good & doesn't provides anything good over Windows other then not many virus out there. Any OEM computer comes with some sort of security suite whether it is Norton or Mcafee or Kaspersky, but at least it comes with one & most of the time that does the job just fine.

Microsoft also releases periodically patches for the Operating systems & a fully patched system is better protected then Mac or Linux is out of the box.

These 2 things take out the biggest weak point in Windows, security.

2nd comes the VFM. Well, those who bought XP Pro 6 years ago are still using it & it still rox. If $300 for an OS which you will run for everyday in the next 6 years is too much to ask (Well, actually it is) then $130 for an OS which you will use for one year only is also too much to ask.

You cannot upgrade your Mac, & no any normal PCI card or PCIe Graphics card won't work in Mac Pro too. If you call upgrading RAM as upgrading the computer then you should take a lesson in computing. Macs are hardly any VFM.

Now come to Macbooks, they are highly outdated & over prices. A Macbook comes with 64 MB GMA 950 when Intel themselves provides support for upto 224 MB shared RAM with GMA 950. Why isn't apple using it to the Max?

Second thing, heat issues. It is indeed correct that Macbook Pro is very thin, just 1 inch thick. But that creates more problem than it solves such as overheating issue (which one member founds to be good. Dude, ever heard of overheating killing your hardware. Why else do u think they use high speed fan in CPU :D)

Lets come to the bundles application & UI. Mac UI is cluttered, you end up with so many Windows open on screen when u only need one or 2, ever heard about keeping your desk clean Mac users? I used expose in Mac & thanks god MS didn't provided it in Vista. Expose is needed in Mac due to very bad window switching via keyboard. You need to press command+tab to switch between different applications & then command+` to switch between different Windows of same applications.

I just mentioned how much the dock sux cos it provides no info about "How many IM Windows of Yahoo Messenger do i have open?". Expose is vital for the UI of Mac, & is not required for Windows where we have a unified window switching method. Alt+tab also known as FlipTab.

If you don't have iLife, then you don't have a good out of the box experience. Macs don't even come with a good Photo Management application inbuilt. Preview is nothing & iPhoto also isn't any good if you want to manage things your way. Macboys in this forum started using MacOS X Tiger only, tell them to use Panther & Jaguar & then come back to say h

Ok, I was wrong, There are not 12 flaws, there are 17. Let me know I wrote a flaw twice or if I missed something. Macboys, let me know if any flaw is wrong. I will fix it.

14 Days, 17 flaws.

1) No Cut option.

2) Non-Standard & weird keyboard navigation. Requires modifier keys for simple thing which have dedicated Keys on Keyboard such as delete or insert or print screen.

3) No option to customize the default looks of the OS in the OS itself other then changing some fonts only & a selection of gray or aqua buttons.

4) Finder doesn’t provide icon spacing, address bar or tabbed navigation such as Path Finder or Windows Explorer breadcrumb bar. You cannot drag a file & go up one level while the file still staying in drag.

5) iTunes has no support to play any music format other then mp3 & mp4. You will need to convert all your songs if they are in other format, if you want them to play in iTunes. This despite of having a solid QuickTime backend.

6) Dock doesn’t group different Windows.

7) There is no way to find how many windows a single application has opened. Such as if Yahoo Messenger is on & there are 3 windows then dock will not show that there are three windows open. You will need to use either expose or command+`.

8) No Out of the box Photo Management application. iPhoto required you to buy iLife, & still lacks in many ways such as lack of tree based navigation. You have to rely on it the way it wants to. There are not many customization options in iPhoto.

9) Windows do not maximize, limiting the zooming capabilities of Safari or Finder. You end up with many Windows on your screen, which you don’t even require.

10) Close apps does not means exiting them. You need to press Command+Q to exit an application.

11) You cannot resize Windows from any side. Just the south east corner.

12) Lack of 3rd party applications. There are applications but they all do almost the same thing. They just look good without providing anything new in most cases.

13) No Unified Uninstaller to uninstall an application & remove all the preference & helper files it has.

14) iMovie is not included with MacOS. If you want to run in on old version of Mac OS X you will need to buy iLife.

15) QuickTime requires you to buy the Pro version to play videos full screen. Mac OS X won’t play full screen videos out of the box & neither VCDs. VLC Player is a must.

16) No option to “Create a new file…..” in Finder by default.

17) It asks you to enter password just for simple installation like installing DivX Codec or install an iContainer in Candybar.

Now some really good features worth mentioning in MacOS X

1) System wide spell check. It is available everywhere even Yahoo Messenger or TextEdit

2) iSync which automatically syncs with your mobile phone & copies the contact to Mac Address book. Then it is available anywhere.

3) Bluetooth for phone - Out of the box, in Windows Vista you can only send or recieve files from the phone to computer or vice versa. However in Mac you can nevigate the phone file system using bluetooth.

Out of the box, Windows Vista doesn't comes with spell check. You can install 3rd party application such as SpellMagic though but it is not in Windows by default.

The Windows Mobility centre acts as a central hub for all your mobile phone needs but the problem is it only works with Windows Mobile phones. So, it is next to useless cos Windows Mobile Phones cost a lot & are generally PDAs. For Sony Ericsson phones you can use Float Mobile Agent or My Phone Exploer, both are free.

If something is not there in Windows, chances are there is an alternative available for free. Unlike safari, which requires you to buy Saft for $!2 just for configuring it.

Last edited:

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
gx_saurav said:
MacOS X isn't a bad operating system. Even Mac hardware isn't. It is some of the most beautifully designed Hardware out there.
I should hope Mac hardware isn't a bad operating system. It's hardware.

Mac just looks good & doesn't provides anything good over Windows other then not many virus out there. Any OEM computer comes with some sort of security suite whether it is Norton or Mcafee or Kaspersky, but at least it comes with one & most of the time that does the job just fine.
Tell that to the millions upon millions of infected Windows computers out there.

Microsoft also releases periodically patches for the Operating systems & a fully patched system is better protected then Mac or Linux is out of the box.
One, this is a load of bunk and if you're going to compare a fully patched system with anything, it should be against another fully patched system. OS X and Linux both have built-in auto-update mechanisms.

These 2 things take out the biggest weak point in Windows, security.

No, they don't.

2nd comes the VFM. Well, those who bought XP Pro 6 years ago are still using it & it still rox. If $300 for an OS which you will run for everyday in the next 6 years is too much to ask (Well, actually it is) then $130 for an OS which you will use for one year only is also too much to ask.
VFM? Value For Money? "Define acronyms before using them", my middle school English teacher used to say. Anyhow, I can tell you're trolling because you say "XP rox". Second, check your stats. One, shopping around, you can get OS X for $100 at time of release. Two, you aren't getting any new features with XP during that period. Three, Tiger has been around for over two years and we still have until October before the next version debuts. So much for that myth.

You cannot upgrade your Mac, & no any normal PCI card or PCIe Graphics card won't work in Mac Pro too. If you call upgrading RAM as upgrading the computer then you should take a lesson in computing. Macs are hardly any VFM.
It's true that you need to use specific graphics cards for OS X. There's nothing barring graphics card manufacturers from bringing more products to the platform. However, you're completely ignoring the capability to upgrade the hard drives and CPUs in the Mac Pro. I have an ATI Radeon X1900 XT with 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM and I'm satisfied with that. As for not including RAM as an upgrade, it really is a valid upgrade, you're just precluding it because it doesn't help your argument.

Now come to Macbooks, they are highly outdated & over prices. A Macbook comes with 64 MB GMA 950 when Intel themselves provides support for upto 224 MB shared RAM with GMA 950. Why isn't apple using it to the Max?
Few people are fans of the GMA 950 in the MacBooks. However, the rest of the parts are quite solid and allowing the card to use more system RAM isn't going to help performance. 64 MB standalone cards far outperform it and more RAM isn't going to change that. As for the MacBook being a value, I think far more tech evangelists laud it as a value than you realize.

Second thing, heat issues. It is indeed correct that Macbook Pro is very thin, just 1 inch thick. But that creates more problem than it solves such as overheating issue (which one member founds to be good. Dude, ever heard of overheating killing your hardware. Why else do u think they use high speed fan in CPU )
You don't have an argument based on any actual reality. This hardware is engineered for proper operation. Arguing that thin = too much heat = failure is naive.

Lets come to the bundles application & UI. Mac UI is cluttered, you end up with so many Windows open on screen when u only need one or 2, ever heard about keeping your desk clean Mac users?
Like the rest of your arguments, this lacks substance, or in this case, a concrete example.

I used expose in Mac & thanks god MS didn't provided it in Vista.
They didn't?

Expose is needed in Mac due to very bad window switching via keyboard. You need to press command+tab to switch between different applications & then command+` to switch between different Windows of same applications.
It's a different paradigm. Just because it's not Windows, it doesn't mean it's wrong. Frequently (more often than not), the Mac way is faster. I'll explain it to you like a five year old if need be.

I just mentioned how much the dock sux cos it provides no info about "How many IM Windows of Yahoo Messenger do i have open?". Expose is vital for the UI of Mac, & is not required for Windows where we have a unified window switching method. Alt+tab also known as FlipTab.
Why do you care how many IM windows you have open? It doesn't help you chat better.

If you don't have iLife, then you don't have a good out of the box experience. Macs don't even come with a good Photo Management application inbuilt. Preview is nothing & iPhoto also isn't any good if you want to manage things your way. Macboys in this forum started using MacOS X Tiger only, tell them to use Panther & Jaguar & then come back to say h
All Macs for years and years have included iLife so your argument is tantamount to saying "If you don't have a CPU, your out of box experience won't be good." It's never true, so it's not an argument. I feel dumber for having read that. As for your incomplete sentence, we're all probably better off not knowing what the rest of it was.

So, congratulations, you've successfully trolled me! I've wasted enough time with this and I hope others will relish pointing out the faults in the rest of your troll.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Oh. Mr. Nepcker, i thought u vanished from the face of earth. :D

nepcker said:
Tell that to the millions upon millions of infected Windows computers out there.

Those who buy OEM computers are already secured, Yup Windows has flaws & thats why 3rd party antivirus suites etc are bundled with OEM computers. It is not the fault of Consumar that Norton takes performance away from Windows. Those who buy Windows retail, well....everyone knows how to use antivirus I guess. Some don't need that infect.
One, this is a load of bunk and if you're going to compare a fully patched system with anything, it should be against another fully patched system. OS X and Linux both have built-in auto-update mechanisms.

Wasen't it shown in digit or chip, that a fully patched XP System is more secure then MacOS X & Linux.

No, they don't.

There is no remedy for "Intel Inside, Idiot Outside". MS tells the users to update there system regularly via automatic updates. Now it is not the fault of MS that a Pirated Windows user screams at MS that Windows isn't secure cos since he is pirating Windows he is unable to use Windows Update.

VFM? Value For Money? "Define acronyms before using them", my middle school English teacher used to say. Anyhow, I can tell you're trolling because you say "XP rox". Second, check your stats. One, shopping around, you can get OS X for $100 at time of release. Two, you aren't getting any new features with XP during that period. Three, Tiger has been around for over two years and we still have until October before the next version debuts. So much for that myth.

Right said....

XP Pro came in 2001 for $300.

MacOS X 10.0 came in 2001 for $130
MacOS X 10.1 came in 2002 for free
MacOS X 10.2 came for $130
MacOS X 10.3 came for $130
MacOS X 10.4 came for $130

Total $520

New features added, wait...those MS gave as free service packs.
It's true that you need to use specific graphics cards for OS X. There's nothing barring graphics card manufacturers from bringing more products to the platform. However, you're completely ignoring the capability to upgrade the hard drives and CPUs in the Mac Pro. As for not including RAM as an upgrade, it really is a valid upgrade, you're just precluding it because it doesn't help your argument

Actually, you don't need specific gfx card for Mac now. It is a PC inside, running same hardware as a PC, so technically even a retail 8600GT will work. However, it can't because

1) Apple restricts the use of any graphics card other then the one they want to bundle. They restrict it in the EFI & OS itself. Example, Core Video is suppported in FX 5200 but not on FX 5900XT

2) Apple makes the driver themeselves, not the graphics card manufacturers. And these drivers are only for OpoenGL (DirectX isn't for Mac)

Few people are fans of the GMA 950 in the MacBooks. However, the rest of the parts are quite solid and allowing the card to use more system RAM isn't going to help performance. 64 MB standalone cards far outperform it and more RAM isn't going to change that.

Nepcker, plz just like arya, do not talk about Graphics now. You are the first user ever I have seen who says a 128 MB graphics card will not give more performance compared to a 64 MB graphics card. For gods sake, it's onboard graphics, the more the RAM the better the frame buffer is :D

You don't have an argument based on any actual reality. This hardware is engineered for proper operation. Arguing that thin = too much heat = failure is naive.

Thin = Less space for vantilation = Heat = Porblem.

How thin can u go ?

Like the rest of your arguments, this lacks substance, or in this case, a concrete example.

Well, you like cluttered window enviroment, we don't. We minimize what we don't need. If we are listening to music, we minimize it to system tray & continue doing our work, does that means not multitasking.

They didn't?

I hope you know Flip3D isn't Expose.

It's a different paradigm. Just because it's not Windows, it doesn't mean it's wrong. Frequently (more often than not), the Mac way is faster. I'll explain it to you like a five year old if need be.

Do so, it will help me & other forum members too. How come a unified way to switching windows (alt+tab) is bad compared to a 2 key way of Mac (command+tab & command+`)
Why do you care how many IM windows you have open? It doesn't help you chat better.

Obviously it does, in Yahoo messenger for Windows, that particular Window flashes in taskbar (Example) same goes with WLM. In Mac, the dock icon jumps but there is no way to just look at it & say which user messeged me, either use Comman+` or expose.

All Macs for years and years have included iLife so your argument is tantamount to saying "If you don't have a CPU, your out of box experience won't be good." It's never true, so it's not an argument. I feel dumber for having read that. As for your incomplete sentence, we're all probably better off not knowing what the rest of it was.

Umm...isn't it required to buy $70 iLife if someone is using Panther? As far as I know, at the time of Panther, Macs did not used to come with iLife preinstalled.

nepcker said:
So, congratulations, you've successfully trolled me! I've wasted enough time with this and I hope others will relish pointing out the faults in the rest of your troll.

Trolled u, you were the one with arya who started this thread, what? u feel sad that I pointed out flaws in your so called unflawd OS?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
nepcker said:
You can always press F10 in any application to know how many Windows it has open and what is going on in those windows.

gx_saurav said:
XP Pro came in 2001 for $300.

MacOS X 10.0 came in 2001 for $130
MacOS X 10.1 came in 2002 for free
MacOS X 10.2 came for $130
MacOS X 10.3 came for $130
MacOS X 10.4 came for $130

Total $520
Oh, and I guess Vista comes for free. :lol:

gx_saurav said:
As far as I know, at the time of Panther, Macs did not used to come with iLife preinstalled.
Unfortunately, you don't know a whole lot more than my dog does - and I don't even have a dog.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
You can always press F10 in any application to know how many Windows it has open and what is going on in those windows.

Oh, and I guess Vista comes for free. :lol:
Thanx, for the first time ever u r helping :). Good boy, now you will sure get a job in Apple store. By the way, whats better? Looking at the dock to see how many WIndows are open or pressing F10 each time? Dock icons have 4 corners which can be put to good use.

Yup, Vista's cost is included in OEM computers, Vista Home premium = Rs 10.5K ($230) in Lucknow, which is all u require for 5 years to come.

Personal comments reported

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey arya ... if my memory is correct there was a mac boy who was so insecure and jumping around every thread trying to tell other members that 3 guys using mac thought they would find 'flaws' when all they could find was 2 flaws ... and guess what gx has just listed the tipof the ice berg if we really started disecting the insides of the mac os then tiger would rather be in an indian jungle

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iMav said:
hey arya ... if my memory is correct there was a mac boy who was so insecure and jumping around every thread trying to tell other members that 3 guys using mac thought they would find 'flaws' when all they could find was 2 flaws ... and guess what gx has just listed the tipof the ice berg if we really started disecting the insides of the mac os then tiger would rather be in an indian jungle

Lolz...Indian jungle is where Tiger belongs to, really...

(f**k the pochers)

I am not working on MacOS X much these days, there is nothing to work on. I booted into it today & thought "Why did I boot into Mac:confused:"? Then I went back to Windows & started working on things like outlook etc. Really, the Mac novelty is gone. It is just an OS, wonder why Macboys treat it like there love & precious.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
the Mac novelty is gone
same here there is nothing thts amazing in it
It is just an OS, wonder why Macboys treat it like there love & precious
remmbr we talked about making themselves happy of the fact they are using something whilst deprived of the better things :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom