The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
shantanu said:
well , my 90% posts were on good side to help others.. see my previous posts in hardware section and some in tutorials too.. well if your knowledge is so great in windows then come join technet or MSDN forum and answer one reply there with correct quote many members are waiting there for correct answers.. dude.. i give respect to everyone.. its a matter of fact that some guys under estimate everyone they say... well i am 21 and my apologies to you if i hurted you really...

is it so hard to understand.. well you said that you know better then me in windows.. so i said then why i am helping people in technet and MSDN forums , you should join and help there.. if you dont know about then visit

visit here (i didnt mean you were a looser ) edited..

this is a technology forum by Microsoft.. :p (i thought you would be knowing this)

and after that i said that my age is 21 , and my 90% posts in this forum were for good.. see them yourself..

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ That link doesn't open.. Sorry for being such a looser and not knowing what technet and MSDN stand for :)

shantanu

Technomancer
post edited : and i didnt mean that you are a looser... :)

*forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?SiteID=17

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Here are a few screenshot of iSync & Phone agent for Mac. Connected with bluetooth cos my data cable only gives access to my K750i's memory card.

Phone agent is no where close to Myphoneexplorer but does the job of file transfer

*img464.imageshack.us/img464/240/isyncxz0.jpg

*img383.imageshack.us/img383/7231/filenevigationyr1.jpg

Pros of Mac #1 = Better bluetooth capability out of the box to sync mobile phones, then Vista.

However, once FMA or Myphoneexplorer is installed in Vista, it kicks the arse of any Mac offering.

Last edited:

samanvya_ad

Broken In
aryayush said:
@samanvya_ad,
I don't give a damn what you think. You do not know the long history of these flame wars. And if you have actually used a Mac (which I doubt), then you have liked it. And if your opinion is fickle and weird enough to change just because you did not like the attitude of one random Mac user (or maybe even hundred) on an online forum, I don't know how to respond to it.

ha ha ha
why are u getting pissed on me... i read this whole thread... i may not be knowing about the flame wars
but i know one thing for sure... even u dont know what mac is....

so its better to shut up....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
Virtual memory & pagefile is indeed same. In Windows we have pagefile.sys while in Linux we have swap partition.

the confusion arised coz windows lists the pagefile setting under virtual memory.

guys, stop fighting and get back to the topic plz! :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Here is a video for those saying Windows Vista doesn't caches application instantly after system boot

Once it boots, it starts caching everything it can find including frequently used apps like 3ds max & winamp. The quality of the video isn't that gr8 but you can still get the point.

*rapidshare.com/files/33054538/MOV00001.3gp.html

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Here is a screenshot of MyPhoneexplorer in Vista. Damn, it looks so ugly..just one Windows & everything unified. Everything integrated in one windows only...damn it is not gray :D

*img377.imageshack.us/img377/25/phoneexplorerhw9.jpg

Oh & MyPhoneexplorer is not made by a big corporation but a student from austria
[/sarcasm]

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
****! That is one ugly application. You use that crap!?

No wonder you like Windows then.

gx_saurav said:
iMav was right, when it come to mobile phone management out of the box MacOS X beats even Vista out.
LOL! Even Vista? EVEN Vista!! :lol:

gx_saurav said:
Though iSync only syncs with Address book.

For phone maangement like File transfer etc, you still need a 3rd party application.
No, you don't. Everything is supported out of the box. Don't post crap and then expect others to correct you. goobimama already said this same thing a lot earlier.

gx_saurav said:
For more usage I installed Phone Agent which is like myphoneexplorer however again due to multiple Window UI I didn't like it.
Like I said, you have a pretty bad "Window-ish" habit of installing useless programs even when the functionality is there by default because, coming from a Windows world, you do not expect anything to be there by default.

gx_saurav said:
File nevigation & copying was easy which is what i mostly do.
And both can be done very easily by default.

gx_saurav said:
Though unlike Windows Contacts, address book only works with Apple Mail & Safari.
Yeah, you're right. This behaviour is unlike Windows Contacts because they do not synchronise with anything else. Address Book is the centralised place for your contacts on a Mac. All third party software and Dashboard widgets that need to use your contacts are integrated with the Address Book.

gx_saurav said:
Will be posting screenshots soon, don't have photoshop on mac
LOL! You need Photoshop for doing something as basic as taking screenshots! :lol:

shantanu said:
i dont know why you act like a fool standing in crowd and praising yourself for some english.. my god.. ever talk to me by phone.. (i dont want to talk to you really) ,you will have to do that english speaking course for understanding proper language which i and many educated people in this forum speak.. (sometimes i think whether you are educated ot not)
Oh, so your knowledge of the English Language automatically gets super-charged when you are speaking to someone in person! You speak better English than you write? Well, I certainly don't believe that and nor does anybody else because the English you write reads like it has been written by someone in junior school.

What happened to the freshseasons dude? I am still awaiting a four times cheaper PC... (at least have the decency to post and accept the total pwnage!)

Last edited:

kalpik

gx_saurav said:
Here is a video for those saying Windows Vista doesn't caches application instantly after system boot

Once it boots, it starts caching everything it can find including frequently used apps like 3ds max & winamp. The quality of the video isn't that gr8 but you can still get the point.

*rapidshare.com/files/33054538/MOV00001.3gp.html
Umm sorry.. But i cant see a thing :( I was expecting some kind of link from microsoft on this.. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
ignorence at it's best

aryayush said:
****! That is one ugly application. You use that crap!?
That so called ugly app provides more features then Phone agent. Try using it with your own W550i.

Oh & I guess You forgot to read the last line.

" Unlike Phone agent, Myphoneexplorer is made by a single student in Austria"

No, you don't. Everything is supported out of the box. Don't post crap and then expect others to correct you. goobimama already said this same thing a lot earlier.
bawahwahwahwah

I was not able to browse my Phone memory " out of the box ". Just the memory card & iSync if I use my data cable. If I use Phone agent I need to use the slow bluetooth. Cop ying a 4 MB Audio file is hell slow over bluetooth compared to datacable.

Like I said, you have a pretty bad "Window-ish" habit of installing useless programs even when the functionality is there by default because, coming from a Windows world, you do not expect anything to be there by default.
Again, bawahwahwahwah

Yes, I install 3rd party application cos I like more control over my computer, not something the OS wants me to do.

Yeah, you're right. This behaviour is unlike Windows Contacts because they do not synchronise with anything else. Address Book is the centralised place for your contacts on a Mac. All third party software and Dashboard widgets that need to use your contacts are integrated with the Address Book.
Lolz...now do u want me to start a Windows Contacts in Vista Vs Address book thread too, pwning Address books in some cases :eek:. All Gadgets, Windows Mail contacts, IE 7 forms, Live Messenger contacts are inegrated with Windows Contacts. If you have WLM Desktop installed, then even that is integrated with Windows Contacts. Do some research boy, address book of Mac is nothing special compared to Windows Contacts. They both do the job just fine....stop trying to portray Address book as special or better.

Outlook address book pwnes both though :D

LOL! You need Photoshop for doing something as basic as taking screenshots! :lol:
Yup, it's called editing & blurring out things. Shoebox won't do it & I don't have Graphics converter installed now.

Oh, so your knowledge of the English Language automatically gets super-charged when you are speaking to someone in person! You speak better English than you write? Well, I certainly don't believe that and nor does anybody else because the English you write reads like it has been written by someone in junior school.
Here here arya, just call shantanu once....& get embarrassed :D

What happened to the freshseasons dude? I am still awaiting a four times cheaper PC... (at least have the decency to post and accept the total pwnage!)
He is back to his gaming cafe & call center, unlike you he has a proper business.

kalpik said:
Umm sorry.. But i cant see a thing :( I was expecting some kind of link from microsoft on this.. :)
Ok I will repost a video. It is written in MSDN & Technet library already that Vista caches all the frequently used date when started. You can check there

(P.S. - Be sure you have patience to Diggggggg):D

kalpik said:
Ok I will repost a video. It is written in MSDN & Technet library already that Vista caches all the frequently used date when started. You can check there

(P.S. - Be sure you have patience to Diggggggg):D

Last edited:

kalpik

That's the problem.. I dont have the time to dig right now.. In the middle of my exams.. After that job :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
I was not able to browse my Phone memory " out of the box ". Just the memory card & iSync if I use my data cable.
There is a difference between the feature being absent and you not knowing how to use it. You cannot even click on the Bluetooth icon and and click on 'Browse Device...'. Tell me a more simple name that Apple could have given it. It was one of the first things I used and I loved it. I can do everything with my phone over Bluetooth and I do not need any third party software.
You can browse both the phone memory and the memory card when you connect your phone via data cable. My friend, Mayank, has a K750i and I once transferred pictures from his phone memory to my Mac via data cable. And I certainly did not have to use any third party software. Unlike you, when I run into some problems, I try to solve them myself, instead of *****ing on online forums.

gx_saurav said:
Again, bawahwahwahwah
What are you trying to prove! We know you cry often, no need to express it publicly.

gx_saurav said:
Yes, I install 3rd party application cos I like more control over my computer, not something the OS wants me to do.
You do it because Windows does not do a lot of things by default and you are used to it. It is unbelievable to you that Mac OS X does most of your everyday tasks by default.

gx_saurav said:
Lolz...now do u want me to start a Windows Contacts in Vista Vs Address book thread too, pwning Address books in some cases :eek:. All Gadgets, Windows Mail contacts, IE 7 forms, Live Messenger contacts are inegrated with Windows Contacts. If you have WLM Desktop installed, then even that is integrated with Windows Contacts. Do some research boy, address book of Mac is nothing special compared to Windows Contacts. They both do the job just fine....stop trying to portray Address book as special or better.
Address Book integrates with all widgets, Mail contacts, Safari forms (and even forms on other browsers such as OmniWeb and Shiira) and iChat and Adium contacts. And, for a change, it actually does synchronise with phones, which cannot be said for Windows Contacts.

As for what you can do with Address Book that you cannot do with Windows Contacts - you can synchronise with any phone in the world that supports synchronisation and you can even dial calls and send text messages via your phone directly from a Mac. Try doing that with Windows Contacts. :lol:

gx_saurav said:
Yup, it's called editing & blurring out things. Shoebox won't do it & I don't have Graphics converter installed now.
You can do that in iPhoto.

gx_saurav said:
He is back to his gaming cafe & call center, unlike you he has a proper business.
If you think I have any regret or embarrassment about not being employed at the age of eighteen, when I am just out of school - fat chance! :lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
There is a difference between the feature being absent and you not knowing how to use it. You cannot even click on the Bluetooth icon and and click on 'Browse Device...'. Tell me a more simple name that Apple could have given it. It was one of the first things I used and I loved it. I can do everything with my phone over Bluetooth and I do not need any third party software.
Yup, good feature in Mac OS which even I praise. Now jump all over & start singing that Mac has one good feature then Vista :)

You can browse both the phone memory and the memory card when you connect your phone via data cable. My friend, Mayank, has a K750i and I once transferred pictures from his phone memory to my Mac via data cable. And I certainly did not have to use any third party software. Unlike you, when I run into some problems, I try to solve them myself, instead of *****ing on online forums.
I was only able to browse my Memory card with Data cable, not phone memory, Arya come to my home & configure it, i will pay the fees to Mac genius

You do it because Windows does not do a lot of things by default and you are used to it.
Name me a single thing other then Mobile Phone management that Windows Vista cannot do on an OEM system.

Address Book integrates with all widgets, Mail contacts, Safari forms (and
even forms on other browsers such as OmniWeb and Shiira) and iChat and Adium contacts. And, for a change, it actually does synchronise with phones, which cannot be said for Windows Contacts.
Lolz.....Windows contacts does syncs with Phones, but just Windows Mobile Phone such as O2....do some research before you say something

As for what you can do with Address Book that you cannot do with Windows Contacts - you can synchronise with any phone in the world that supports synchronisation and you can even dial calls and send text messages via your phone directly from a Mac. Try doing that with Windows Contacts. :lol:
MyPhoneExploer, ever used it?? Yup, Windows contacts cannot do that out of the box with any phone other then Windows Mobile.

You can do that in iPhoto.
Ya, which is not working here ("Application curropted" error).

If you think I have any regret or embarrassment about not being employed at the age of eighteen, when I am just out of school - fat chance! :lol:
Well, since you do not know what real work is...stop saing crap about those who do know that.

:Yawn...Macs make me sleepy

This just in, MacOS X isn't showing any Multisession DVD i burned in Windows using disk juggler/nero 7. It is only showing the first track

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
maybe try changing the volumes like in 98 .... if its thr then this is naother flaw where windows is far ahead of mac ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Change Volumes? Whats that ? really I don't know about it. I just put the DVD inside the drive & Windows shows the most recent track in which every episode is written on the DVD.

If I follow arya's theory of "What is not there by default then it is not a feature", then MacOS X does not shows Multisession DVDs, flaw #9.

Arya even refused to help me regarding this, so again...his smugness is public. I wonder if Mac genius even knows how to fix this. :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well i dont know about dvds but in cds if u make a multisession disk at times the second session is not shown and then u have to manually change the volume of the drive by right clicking the properties of the drive in my comp (this only works in 98 and the best way to hide stuff on a cd which u dont want others to c) .... ab mac mein how to do i have no clue .... arya andy or goobi .... maybe thr is no way and fearing another glaring error which wud be lam blasted by us he has decided to say i cant help citing sourabh has warned him :?

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
gx_saurav said:
Hey Saurav, It means it you! You do remember i had a gaming Cafe.I presently i have a Call centre and Mt Business.I saw your joining date as jan 2007.But i Distinctly remember seeing you here with the same alias 3 years back.Your mobile Posts were the best.
aryayush said:
If you think I have any regret or embarrassment about not being employed at the age of eighteen, when I am just out of school - fat chance!
Oh I should have known you were a kid. NO wonder your Pa gave you Mac and suddenly you dont know what to do with it ,its the end of fantasy for you so you start flaming each and every person in forums you registered who dont quite see you eye to eye with your new toy.
Check this out again...not from India's site. But Standard US one which inadvertently you prefer.
A Decent Mac Mini for 800$(There is a explicit note of Extra sales TAX and other besides it) .That is Roughly 47,722 Rs.(Or Vist Apple Store near and price is same for 1.8 model)
Configuration.
1)Mac Mini
# 1.66GHz or 1.83 Intel Core Duo processor (It will be really difficult finding so low spec hardware in market.)
# 2MB on-chip L2 cache
Now the above Specifications doesnt come with Monitor Or LCD , Keyboard or Speakers or mouse.
# 667MHz frontside bus
At about 22,990 here
*cgi.ebay.in/Intel-CORE-2-DUO-1-8GH...ryZ14294QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i will give you a COMPLETE PC with SAMSUNG 17" Monitor,Multimedia Speakers,Intel Pentium 4 - CORE 2 DUO 1.8 GHz Processor,Intel Motherboard with onboard Graphics and sound,512 MB DDR2 RAM 533MHZ,80GB Hardisk Drive, PS/2 OPTICAL Mouse + Mouse Pad,DVD Combo,ATX Casing WITH 400 WATT SMPS 24 PIN,SAMSUNG / IBALL PS/2 Keyboard,PS/2 OPTICAL Mouse + Mouse Pad.
Remove all the goodies like Samsung 17" monitor, multimedia speakers ,Samsung Keyboard with optical mouse and price for the CPU Box Will be roughly around 12,000 Rs like Mac Mini.
1/4 of an Mac Mini.
Ya you get to add Graphic card to the above thing and decent sound card too should you need it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom