The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Umm.. NOTHING, i repeat! NOTHING can run from the pagefile. For anything to "run", it HAS to be loaded into the main memory (RAM). That's why i say an OS that uses less of the pagefile is FAR superior to an OS which uses more of the pagefile. The more of the pagefile you use, the more times you have to load the swapped page into the memory when its needed (AKA context switching), which WASTES a lot of time. Hope you agree on this! :smile:

I guess I forgot to make it clear that way.

Nothing can indeed run from pagefile, but those application & process which do not require to be in system RAM will be moved to page file as & when needed, when required they will be called back to system RAM. This makes more room the apps which are running in front or at top. This is why I told you to try the example to run a game.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
aryayush said:
You purposely gave the text a garish pink background to give it an ugly look. It is hardly the application's fault that you have such a ridiculously bad choice of colours.
Nope i didn't , it's the screenshot directly from the author's site , u can check it out urself :cool:

*alphaomega.software.free.fr/plaintexteditor/Plain Text Editor.html

PS: Arya , please do read and verify your claims before posting coz it seems foolish that first you say something n then i prove you wrong :)

kalpik said:
I'm not arguing, I agree Vista has improved a LOT on the memory management front, i was just proving that assassin was wrong about what he was saying about the page file :)
Though Vista has improved on memory management, but still that doesn't stop me from calling it a resource hog.
Kalpik , i Read somewhere(Technet or on MSDN) that Vista Caches the most frequently used applications in it's memory so say if you use Photoshop , Firefox , 3DS Max , Yahoo Messenger very frequently so After startup Vista will load all the frequently used applicaions into RAM and although you won't see them open but they will be there in the RAM , thus when you open them they'll open Instantly :)

This is why u see that Vista Uses each and every bit of RAM available to it , it's not necessarily a resource hog , if u supply it with 2GB of RAM then it will load as much data possible into it , thus makin the Application startup much much faster(Although 1GB is enuf for Almost All things) :)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Kalpik , i Read somewhere(Technet or on MSDN) that Vista Caches the most frequently used applications in it's memory so say if you use Photoshop , Firefox , 3DS Max , Yahoo Messenger very frequently so after startup Vista will load all the applicaions into RAM and although you won't see them open but they will be there in the RAM , thus when you open them they'll open Instantly :smile:

The ideal way to use Vista is to hibernate it. Though this takes away the novelty of dual boot cos then you do not get the dual boot menu & it boots directly in Vista, with all the apps already superfetched. Takes 10 seconds to start a computer in Vista, from button push to Desktop with hibernation enabled.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Nope i didn't , it's the screenshot directly from theauthor's site , u can check it out urself :cool:

*alphaomega.software.free.fr/plaintexteditor/Plain%20Text%20Editor.html

Kalpik , i Read somewhere(Technet or on MSDN) that Vista Caches the most frequently used applications in it's memory so say if you use Photoshop , Firefox , 3DS Max , Yahoo Messenger very frequently so After startup Vista will load all the frequently used applicaions into RAM and although you won't see them open but they will be there in the RAM , thus when you open them they'll open Instantly :)
^^ Im sure that's not the case.. Vista does not load the recently used apps at startup. Please link me to the article, i would like to have a read. Maybe im wrong :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Kalpik, he is not wrong. Vista loads frequently used apps in memory when the system boots or when you first launch that application. It closes down but the app & dlls are still in RAM. They stay there unless some other program asks for memory in which case Vista flushes down the RAM to give more memory to the application which demands it.

Example, start Windows Vista after a shut down. This clears the RAM. Now start some app like ACDSee & cloise it, now start it again & it will open instantly. Hibernate your computer...restart again & restart ACDsee again to open it instantly.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
kalpik said:
^^ Im sure that's not the case.. Vista does not load the recently used apps at startup. Please link me to the article, i would like to have a read. Maybe im wrong :)
*blogs.zdnet.com/Ratcliffe/?p=266

*blogs.zdnet.com/Ratcliffe/?p=267

Hope this clarifies it :D

ZDNet said:
Vista's new SuperFetch memory management technology is also demonstrating its strength. Superfetch prioritizes data in RAM by recency of use, but also analyzes user habits by time of day, day of week and activities, so it does a better job of cleaning house than XP or its predecessors.

For example, if you open Skype all week long but never open it on Saturday, because on weekends you don't want to be disturbed by business calls, Superfetch will not keep Skype resources in memory as it would during the week. It also optimizes reloading of applications and makes better use of RAM. When Firefox was closed and launched a second time, for example, Vista reduced its RAM usage by 25MB because some of the resources previously allocated to Skype are dropped.

soumya

In the zone
The bottomline is that Vista wins hands down cause :-

1) Vista Home Basic can run on much cheaper hardware than a Mac.

2) The library of softwares, games for any Window OS is much bigger than Mac. If not now, after a year it will be for Vista in particular.

3) Support would be much more in case of Vista because finding people using and knowing about Mac is like the chances of Angelina Jolie doing a Bollywood item number! :))

And that's the bottomline cause Soumya said so!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
soumya said:
The bottomline is that Vista wins hands down cause :-

3) Support would be much more in case of Vista because finding people using and knowing about Mac is like the chances of Angelina Jolie doing a Bollywood item number! :))

And that's the bottomline cause Soumya said so!

Lolz.....that would be amazing though

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
The scenario:
1)Resources: Almost Unlimited Budget.
2)Goal:productivity for Call Centre and Medical Transcription .
Even if i had thought once for Mac for the kind of above needed office setup i would have been screwed big time.All the work that there is ;its done on Pc's and Windows based hardware.The Caller CRM Dialer that i use at my centres though linux based interacts just with Windows Environment as an client.Ask him for Mac support and answer is err....dont waste time...The Client at the other end is screaming and we have no such thing.Mac is good for home users , for serious office productivity its sacrilege.
Its not even about software support its getting things done.For medical Transcription we need Foot Pedals and that needs serial port configuration where some times we need to add PCI card if we dont get serial port option.Ehh does one get to open Mac and change some fundamental things in hardware.
I mean how difficult can an operating system and computer get.I hardly can get any thing configured on MAC.No US calling via Dialers for Call centres.No proper Medical Transcription support to get things done.(Well there are some but the very thought of using those hard techniques made my technical staff run) One would only run under such scenarios is if you are a mac aficionado and hate everything that is not MAC. I dont mean Windows is Perfect and All.But what i mean it Windows Gets Things done.After all isnt that the first reasons Computers are there for.To get things done.
And I mean i have some Mac Friends who say Macs to exclusive to be used for labour work.Its a work of Art and is for that power home user...What Mac an Exclusive....!!!!I dont think so..Its the same.Its got Intel Duo Core , just like PC's, Same graphic card, Ram ,Harddrive and all. Its a PC after all colored white.
I think Theres a reasons for Mac Enthusiastic to staunchly support Macs.There has to be some justification on paying 4 times the price for same Processor,graphic and hardware enclosed in Fancy case.
Comeon its a Total ripoff.
I really feel so sorry for people who pay 4 times for the same generic hardware essentially and hand over their cash at the first turn of Demand for Decorated boxes or feed Steve Jobs Ego.
When i buy a PC i buy hardware..and then decide on my Operating System..whether i want linux or Windows.I go propriety or Open-source.
I Email,watch videos and movies on ...if not satisfied with sound,get Creative THX Platinum xtreme and setup my home theater.
I play games and when i see some new games coming up i upgrade graphic card or gt that new mother board or use my Existing one by getting a new GP card and running in SLI. I choose what to upgrade and what i need.I choose my life.I dont run with Pocket full to Buy new Computer just if i need some functionality which is not there in my present Computer.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@gx_saurav and freshseasons,
Buy me a computer with the same specs as the Mac Mini at Rs. 8,250. Do it. I am giving you the money now. I am very curious to see how Macs are four times the price of regular PCs. I am in Kolkata, come and take the money from me and buy it today. Bunch of idiots!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Buy me a computer with the same specs as the Mac Mini at Rs. 8,250. Do it. I am giving you the money now. I am very curious to see how Macs are four times the price of regular PCs. I am in Kolkata, come and take the money from me and buy it today. Bunch of idiots!
Do you know the meaning of the word "Example". I admit I over said the "4 times price thing" i will change it to 2 times & make a computer for u in 17k easily :).

Last edited:

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
aryayush said:
Dont know where you got that imaginery figure of Rs 8,250 and what second hand model you are talking out. .Come out of pigeon hole and taste the reality.
*www.asia.apple.com/store/india/macminin/newmacmini.htm
A Simple Generic Mac Mini ( With min acceptable specification)
With minimum bare specification like:-
1)1.5 Solo core( NOT EVEN DUO) ,512mb ram,60GB drive , Combo Drive( NOT EVEN DVD Writer),and Wi-fi and Bluetooth.
IT COSTS A WHOPPING 35,500+TAXES and
This DOESNT include LCD or Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse ,No Speakers,NO DEDICATED GRAPHIC CARD.
Hell, if is buy the above Stuff the price goes to 60,000 and what do i have .A 1.5 SOLO CORE,with 512 ram. Bloody i get a good decent Dell Laptop Duo Core with Nvidia Graphic in this price.
If this is not a Rip -off i dont know what is...!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
freshseasons said:
Dont know where you got that imaginery figure of Rs 8,250 and what second hand model you are talking out. .Come out of pigeon hole and taste the reality.
1)1.5 Solo core( NOT EVEN DUO) ,512mb ram,60GB drive , Combo Drive( NOT EVEN DVD Writer),and Wi-fi and Bluetooth.
This DOESNT include LCD or Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse ,No Speakers,NO DEDICATED GRAPHIC CARD.
Hell, if is buy the above Stuff the price goes to 60,000 and what do i have .A 1.5 SOLO CORE,with 512 ram. Bloody i get a good decent Dell Laptop Duo Core with Nvidia Graphic in this price.

Bang on target....must have hurt the ego of mac boys :D

By the way, bro u forgot to mention one thing. You cannot upgrade anything in Mac mini.

The real cost of Mac mini = Mac mini + Keyboard + Mouse + LCD Monitor + USB Hub + Speakers + Webcam (if needed)

Also, mac mini comes with onboard GMA 950 graphics & onboard AC97 Audio. We are paying 35k in which case we get Geforce 7300GT with 256 MB RAM & Onboard HD Audio in PC configuration.

soumya

In the zone
i really can't comprehend why these apple guys charge so much for the same hardware. i guess the reason is like that their market share is so low, that they need more money for selling a single piece of hardware! it sucks. And, haven't u guys seen the ads directed at Vista. Well, it goes with the proverb that when u can't reach the grapes, the grapes must be sour and I bet that Leopard cannot sell 40 million licenses in 100 days. So stop whining apple and start lowering ur hardware prices or else ur market share will always be like that of Rajnikanth in a US video library!

shantanu

Technomancer
actually the thing is that.. Mac boy only know scratching their heads after having correct answers.. now they will look for fu cked up facts to show..

@kalpik.. you are a old memeber but first get some knowledge on windows and then speak...

@qwerty.. i think you are a over smart person with high attitude and ego.. you are not president of america so stop your bull$hit..

@nepcker.. coca cola is making engine oil and APPLE is making dustbins for MAC users to throw their unusable macs in it.. :D:D

@some other MACCYasssses .. your MAC pro is for $2600 (taxes Extra) with a little high config then the usual and i can buy two good pc's (vista compatible in it) with good gaming capablities...

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
soumya said:
So stop whining apple and start lowering ur hardware prices or else ur market share will always be like that of Rajnikanth in a US video library!
ROFL *farm1.static.flickr.com/217/510658461_afdbb73060_o.gif *farm1.static.flickr.com/217/510658461_afdbb73060_o.gif *farm1.static.flickr.com/217/510658461_afdbb73060_o.gif

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
freshseasons said:
Another lunatic who skipped English lessons when he was in school! I don't know why all these people register at the Digit forum.

First of all, Rs. 8,250 is not the price of the Mac Mini but is a quarter of the price of the base configuration of the Mac Mini. You and gx_saurav claimed that Macs are four times more expensive than PCs with similar configurations. So, buy me a sub-10,000 PC that has the specs of the Mac Mini.

And almost every spec you have there is wrong. Everything. You know as much about Macs as gx_saurav does (which is equal to nothing).

Buy me any Mac with a single core processor, any Mac at all. Unless you are talking about second hand stuff, you cannot buy a single core Mac. There is no such thing. The cheapest Mac Mini comes with a 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 512 MB of RAM, 60 GB HDD, a combo drive and built-in speakers as well. It has Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Infrared, USB and FireWire. It also comes with an Apple Remote standard. And it costs Rs. 33,000 including taxes.

And to top it off, it comes in a tiny enclosure that weighs less than 1.5 KG (1.31 KG, to be precise). Leave the design, I know no other company in the World is capable of as excellent and innovative design as Apple is. Just buy me four computers that have similar specs to the Mac Mini and the total cost of which is less than/equal to Rs. 33,000. Do it now. I have the money ready here.

You know, a wise man's advice to you would be to just STFU when you know nothing about something. Opening your mouth only makes you look like a fool. Ask gx_saurav, he knows it well, having experienced the feeling often.

samanvya_ad

Broken In
i used to like Mac n i use both a PC with Vista/Xp n an iMac.... i was never an expert in mac... i just bought it cos i thought it to be cool... but the way few ppl are fighting for proving mac to be superior i think it gives a bad image to mac only ....

sadly it seems to me that now he is out of points n is scratching his head ...
he is teaching us english n is taking up certain mis understandings of english as his defence. Grow up boy... u have pissed many Mac users also

And
Gx_saurav last to last year u helped me assemble my comp (thanks for that) n now u help me in thrashing Mac OS image n a total makeover of windows image.... i Love windows...

eddie

El mooooo
assasin said:
Yeah i sourced it from that book so that no one wud be able to implicate later that i've written some rubbish.
You should be ashamed of yourself. Seriously ashamed!!! Now I've found 3 point blank liars on this forum who all happen to be Windows fanboys. Is it a disease that comes packaged with Windows CD/DVD? I tried to take a high road by giving you a chance and asking you once again that whether you actually got it from a book so that you could accept that it is not so; but you are such a liar that you don't have any dignity to save. Here...this is the "book you sourced it from"
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheduling_(computing)

A word-by-word copy from the article!!! Seriously man...don't you guys have any soul left? You don't have any real lives that you need to lie on online forums? How low can you guys go?
assasin said:
most pcs dont hav that much system ram as wud be reqd by the level of multitasking been done these days.so if ur system doesnt hav page file the result will be an system whose multitasking abilities will be limited only by the amt of system mem available.
I have not seen even a chameleon change his colours so fast. This is what you were saying sometime back... and I am quoting it here as well
assasin said:
even if u hav 4GB system ram in Vista Pagefile will be used. page file not only used when the system runs short of system memory,but its used the proccy and system schedulers.its also used to store the mem address occupied by the diff apps using sys memory.so know ur basics first then make a post.OK.
You were talking about pagefile being required by CPU Schedulers, System schedulers and memory address mappings...and now you are talking about multitasking? Is there a limit to your going down? Is there a limit where you save your face and actually accept that you knew nothing about your words?
assasin said:
as far as dependency of schedular on pagefile is concerned,carefully understand wat the mid term schedular is there in the system for.:D
Yeah right...I need to take system internals and coding lessons from a liar and a chameleon's big brother :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom