The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Hi all,

Its a good thread for the best laptop available in india!! I am following the thread since a week in thinking to buy the samsung np550p5c-s02in. Presently my laptop is dead and working on desktop. Today i have got another option to import HP ENVY 17t-3200 3D @ US$ 1239.00 after using 33% off coupon code (Actual price US$ 1849.99) from USA through my cousin. It will cost 68k to 69k for me while sammy is 62k in my place. But it will take 3 months to get the 3D laptop. No i am thinking that is it worth waiting??? The following are the specs!!

HP ENVY 17t-3200 3D
3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
Radeon(TM) HD 7850M Graphics 1GB GDDR5 Memory
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
H1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
17.3-inch diagonal Radiance Full HD 3D Infinity LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
720p HD video streaming webcam supports Skype
Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth(R)
Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard with numeric keypad

The SSD is missing but there is an empty slot i guess, But one more issue is HD 7850m, is it worthful than gt 650m i could not find any benchmarks for hd 7850m. And is there any throttling / heat issues with this laptop. Anybody have info?

close your eyes and go for it, but do research about international warranty. can you give us link to that laptop? AMD 7850M would easily handle 1080p gaming.

i think you are talking about this?? link.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Guys I think the BIOS update fixed it...:).........played max payne 3 for 40 mins in high performance , no throttling whatsoever....will have to play for prolonged period to make sure...

suyog6996

Right off the assembly line
On what settings did you play witcher 2 and what was your fps?

I played on native resolution with medium settings
didn do fraps
but i can assure u the game went pretty smooth and the excellent graphics of witcher 2 was justified
..honestly i am ok with medium settings later turned to high and the movement was a little jerky but still playable :p
hope it helps

next time i ll put up fps

pratyush997

Inactive
faq did u checked it by ts? n plz post direct download lunk of that update plzzzz

faq did u checked it by ts? n plz post direct download lunk of that update plzzzz

ujjwal007

Lost in games
Guys I think the BIOS update fixed it...:).........played max payne 3 for 40 mins in high performance , no throttling whatsoever....will have to play for prolonged period to make sure...

did u checked the temps dan? and i cant find the new bios in samsung site can u provide a link?

Conan

Broken In
Hi, I was reading this thread for past two days and I was going through various reviews over net.
I've short listed the model NP550P5C-S02IN with Ci7 and BluRay Drive.
Here are my queries:
1. What's throttling ? Is it because of manufacturer defect for few units or for all the units ?
2. Did anybody watched 3D movie using NP550P5C-S02IN ? If yes, how was the quality ?
3. Does the BluRay drive Write the BluRay Discs ?
4. Is the memory of 1600 MHz ? Can it be upgraded to 4+4+4 or 8 + 8 + 8 GB in future ?
5. Does it support 2 HDDs ? One for Normal and the other for SSD. Does it support RAID1 ?
6. Does the palm rest gets heated during high performance ?

Kindly provide the information so that I can go for buying without further delay !

... Thanks & Regards.

1. Throttling means that CPU/GPU downgrade themselves to a lower performance level based on adverse conditions like high operating temperature or insufficient power supply. It results in sudden performance drops, which is especially noticeable in processor/graphics intensive applications. It is currently an issue with some units only.

2. The screen is not a 3D screen. It is a matte finish, 15.6 inch, 1600 x 900 pixel LCD display.

3. It is a blu-ray player only + DVD-RW.

4. It is indeed 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. It has only 2 RAM slots.

5. It only has 2 SATA slots, one for the HDD and the other for the optical drive.

6. It depends on your perspective and usage conditions. It does get warm, but, not uncomfortably warm.

:offtopic: Has anyone noticed that all manufacturers (including Acer & Lenovo) are selling their 3rd gen i7 models at around 65k ? But, all of them have only 630m !! Only Dell and of course, Samsung, are offering better in that price range.

Last edited:

dan4u

Took Off!!!

:-DYea Bro Just ran TS bench, FID remained 31 throughout......No throttling, the Max temp according to TS was 85c, but in HWmonitor it was 92c, but that doesn't matter, the fact is there is NO THROTTLING :-D

n about the link, go here, on the left side select firmware n download the 2.12MB file, its Samsung's BIOS updater, it checks your laptop's BIOS n tells you if there's an update..........I knew a BIOS or driver update could fix this issue n it seems its solved now:cool:

magnet

Youngling
DOes this lappy have a sim card slot?

Alsoon tech specs on samsung official spec the power option does have option for 120w adapter so it means there is an option to get one? right?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Hi all,

Its a good thread for the best laptop available in india!! I am following the thread since a week in thinking to buy the samsung np550p5c-s02in. Presently my laptop is dead and working on desktop. Today i have got another option to import HP ENVY 17t-3200 3D @ US$ 1239.00 after using 33% off coupon code (Actual price US$ 1849.99) from USA through my cousin. It will cost 68k to 69k for me while sammy is 62k in my place. But it will take 3 months to get the 3D laptop. No i am thinking that is it worth waiting??? The following are the specs!!

HP ENVY 17t-3200 3D
3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
Radeon(TM) HD 7850M Graphics 1GB GDDR5 Memory
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
H1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
17.3-inch diagonal Radiance Full HD 3D Infinity LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
720p HD video streaming webcam supports Skype
Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth(R)
Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard with numeric keypad

The SSD is missing but there is an empty slot i guess, But one more issue is HD 7850m, is it worthful than gt 650m i could not find any benchmarks for hd 7850m. And is there any throttling / heat issues with this laptop. Anybody have info?

I don't think the Hp ENVY 17 is available in India. If I am right HP will not provide warranty to those models which are not officially available here. So don't expect warranty here.
Please go through this link to see what models of ENVY are presently available in India- *www8.hp.com/in/en/products/laptops/index.html?facet=Home

boltcat

Broken In
:-DYea Bro Just ran TS bench, FID remained 31 throughout......No throttling, the Max temp according to TS was 85c, but in HWmonitor it was 92c, but that doesn't matter, the fact is there is NO THROTTLING :-D

n about the link, go here, on the left side select firmware n download the 2.12MB file, its Samsung's BIOS updater, it checks your laptop's BIOS n tells you if there's an update..........I knew a BIOS or driver update could fix this issue n it seems its solved now:cool:

is there any new bios menu options added in this new update?

prashanth2692

Broken In
hey guys..........
iam new to thinkdigit forum.....actually my intrest in samsung series 5 550p brought me here......i have read few of the post in this thread(and its a >100 pages thread)......so i would like to know about the present battery backup, (if u have used dell xps 15)heat emmision compared to dell xps 15, stability of case(i.e., build quality), webcam quality, sound of 550p.....

p.s : thanks in advance

1. Throttling means that CPU/GPU downgrade themselves to a lower performance level based on adverse conditions like high operating temperature or insufficient power supply. It results in sudden performance drops, which is especially noticeable in processor/graphics intensive applications. It is currently an issue with some units only.

2. The screen is not a 3D screen. It is a matte finish, 15.6 inch, 1600 x 900 pixel LCD display.

3. It is a blu-ray player only + DVD-RW.

4. It is indeed 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. It has only 2 RAM slots.

5. It only has 2 SATA slots, one for the HDD and the other for the optical drive.

6. It depends on your perspective and usage conditions. It does get warm, but, not uncomfortably warm.

:offtopic: Has anyone noticed that all manufacturers (including Acer & Lenovo) are selling their 3rd gen i7 models at around 65k ? But, all of them have only 630m !! Only Dell and of course, Samsung, are offering better in that price range.

Thank you very much Conan for prompt reply.
1. Any method to check-up the throttling effect at shop itself so that it will be replaced immediately ?
2. Not on it's screen. Can we play 3D BluRay/ DVD/ a file downloaded from internet to watch on external 3D TV / monitor using HDMI port ?
3. I've called Samsung technical support and they said it's BD Writer too. After your reply I'm confused.
4. Can RAM be upgrade memory to 8+8 GB in future ?
5. Can existing HDD of 5400rpm be upgraded to a HDD with 7200rpm ?
6. Acceptable.

... Thanks & Regards

zenom-z

Broken In
i kept the trottlestop as fid=31.. and test.... until 50%.. it stayed at 31.. then 26... and 31 again...

going to test with games... bdw after the new update.. should we keep the cpu max usage as 60?

kayjay2050

Right off the assembly line
Hi friends...i have been regularly following this thread for the past few days...i have read about the throttling and high temp problems that few are facing...is it the same for all buyers??...how about the games other than gta 4 is it facing any problem?...The specs of this lap is really luring me:/...if it really has serious throttling/temp issues which cannot be rectified the only alternative left for me is the trinity A8 quad core hp lap for 33k which is another VFM buy imo...So u guys tel me...shall i go for the sammy?...if so i have to get it before 31st of this month....(extra one year warranty offer)...Also suggest me stores in chennai or bangalore where i can buy it!!!

RON28

Cyborg Agent
ok so played BFBC2 for an hour at ULTRA settings, and i after updating BIOS temps are now around 93C, earlier it was 105C. PLEASE NOTE this time i didnt limited the CPU to 70%. i changed minimum to 20% and maximum to 100%, to check whether there is any performance dip in middle, but game ran butter smooth at 900p ULTRA settings. and i must say the Nvidia recent driver update has been really good.
*i47.tinypic.com/1hp4sn.jpg
*i49.tinypic.com/fut6hz.jpg

i can't say about throttling because that never happened with me, but yes Temps have improved a lot.

Top Bottom