The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

pratyush997

Inactive
nope...dan was first...then some other guyz then me n then you...

nope...dan was first...then some other guyz then me n then you...

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^ what did you do to get that message??

and I did a 3dmark06 after the installing Nvidia 306.02 beta driver, got 14523....its about 300 points more than previous

rekrow

Broken In
My laptops DOOMED!!! I think the first one to have a repair in this thread, right?????:( It say's HDD Password frozen!!!!;( Cannot boot and my dream lap doomed ;(
found this solution online. its just a bios issue. do this

Remove your hard drive.Reboot computer.
While its rebooting press F2 to enter the BIOS
Press Alt-F to restore BIOS defaults
Replace the hard drive

Sometimes your computer vendor
maybe able to reset HDD pwd depending on model

300 points is a commendable improvement.

is that improvement in comparison with the official driver or the older beta one?

magnet

Youngling
Is it a mistake

Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C-S02IN 3rd Gen Ci7/8GB/1TB/2GB Graphics/Win 7 HP: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Samsung Notebook

65w adapter?

Conan

Broken In
So, as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I replaced my laptop's HDD with an SSD. I decided to go for a clean install of Windows, using the disc provided with the laptop. In case, someone wants to transfer everything (including applications and games) from the HDD to the SSD, various drive cloning methods can be used (Look it up on google). Here's a guide on replacing the mechanical HDD with an SSD .

Some caution points to keep in mind before starting:

1. If you don't have any experience with assembling/replacing PC components, please get this done professionally or at the very least do it under supervision.
  2. Use a non magnetic tool set since HDD may get damaged by magnetic materials.
  3. Whenever disassembling the parts, remember the original orientation.
  4. PC components are susceptible to damage by electrostatic discharge. Please wear latex or similar gloves while working. If not available, discharge the electrostatic build up from your hands by touching a grounded metallic object.

Procedure (Please excuse the formatting issue. The order is - procedure/step followed by the picture, not the other way round, even if it may seem so):

1. Use a multi tool kit like this one.

*i47.tinypic.com/30c0xft.jpg
  2. Power down the laptop and remove the battery.

*i49.tinypic.com/20f92c7.jpg
  3. Remove the single screw holding the back cover.

*i47.tinypic.com/2hqxtnt.jpg
  4. Slide the back cover in the direction shown, and lift it up to remove.

*i46.tinypic.com/jry2ah.jpg
  5. Remove the 4 screws from the HDD tray.

*i50.tinypic.com/158a1aw.jpg
  6. Lift up the HDD tray carefully, so as not to damage the connectors.

*i48.tinypic.com/2ns85z5.jpg
  7. Remove 4 screws (2 on each side) from the tray to disassemble the tray and the HDD.

*i49.tinypic.com/5eelhs.jpg

*i50.tinypic.com/10sf57r.jpg
  8. Slide out the adaptor from the HDD to expose the SATA connectors.

*i46.tinypic.com/fnmo8.jpg

This adaptor will be used to dock the SSD with the laptop.

*i46.tinypic.com/34ecksk.jpg
  9. Slide in the adaptor (removed from the HDD) onto the SSD's SATA connectors.

*i50.tinypic.com/28j9n50.jpg
  10. Assemble the SSD with the tray using the 4 screws.

*i47.tinypic.com/fz5837.jpg

*i50.tinypic.com/2e33ogh.jpg
  11. Dock the SSD and tray assembly into the laptop carefully and fix it onto the chassis using the 4 screws removed earlier.

*i47.tinypic.com/6r3v4h.jpg
  12. Slide on the back cover and fix it with the single screw. (Refer steps 3 and 4)
  13. Now, insert the battery, plug in AC power supply and boot up the laptop. Use the Windows DVD supplied with the laptop for Windows installation.

Few extras:

• An HDD enclosure can convert the internal 2.5" SATA HDD into an external HDD.
  • Read up on SSD guides / reviews online. Especially, optimization guides from thessdreview.com.

Congratulations, your laptop's storage is not going to be the bottleneck in your high performance machine any longer. Now, enjoy fast boot times and game/application load times.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Conan you did a really great job by telling how to install SSD in this laptop with pictures. keep it up.

ok so installed new beta driver, and it did improved fps in game. i did small test in crysis2 and hot pursuit 2012 at 900p settings. crysis2 was on advanced setting whereas HP on ultra settings.

here are the logs.

2012-08-28 00:50:01 - Crysis2
Frames: 1029 - Time: 29172ms - Avg: 35.274 - Min: 28 - Max: 48

2012-08-28 00:59:25 - NFS11
Frames: 856 - Time: 22854ms - Avg: 37.455 - Min: 27 - Max: 51

dan4u

Took Off!!!
@conan Great guide man:clap2:....what size is the ssd?? I'd have definitely got one if it had an extra bay......

sunny5

Right off the assembly line
@conan...been an owner of sammy for a couple of wks..was a silent watcher of the thread since then...(since i didnt had any throttling issues). A grt effort dude.

nikhildewan

Broken In
finally bought the samsung 550p S02in model.... took more than 3 months to finally decide upon this laptop.... my choices varied from from dell xps 2nd gen to sony SVE 14 inch i7 to sony SVS 15inch i7 to finally this one... on the same day, got the delivery for my ford figo also... which is my first choice and took just 2 weeks to decide....drove straight from the showroom to nehru place for buying this laptop.... :)

3 months for 57k lappy and 2 weeks for 570k vehicle.... :-D

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^ haha Congrats.... lappy's are hard to decide, new models come out ever so often, for now sammy's the best bang for the buck, have fun with your lap n also the figo:wink:....drive safe:)

Conan

Broken In
Conan you did a really great job by telling how to install SSD in this laptop with pictures. keep it up.
Thanks.

@conan Great guide man:clap2:....what size is the ssd?? I'd have definitely got one if it had an extra bay......
Thanks. I got a SanDisk Extreme 120 GB SSD for Rs. 7800. I used to store my media files and documents on an external HDD anyway, so, I figured I'll get an SSD to speed up my system. After a fresh Windows install and a few tweaks, I've got about 90 GB free out of the available 111 GB.

@conan...been an owner of sammy for a couple of wks..was a silent watcher of the thread since then...(since i didnt had any throttling issues). A grt effort dude.
Thanks

finally bought the samsung 550p S02in model.... took more than 3 months to finally decide upon this laptop.... my choices varied from from dell xps 2nd gen to sony SVE 14 inch i7 to sony SVS 15inch i7 to finally this one... on the same day, got the delivery for my ford figo also... which is my first choice and took just 2 weeks to decide....drove straight from the showroom to nehru place for buying this laptop.... :)

3 months for 57k lappy and 2 weeks for 570k vehicle.... :-D
Congrats on the laptop and the car. I've been in the same situation. It's always tough to choose a laptop. A car, you just set your heart on one and more likely than not you end up buying it.

OP
har

har

In the zone
@conan-Great effort !! And share your boot times ;)

BTW this thread will soon become the longest thread in this section !!! Kudos to everyone !!

Top Bottom