The Photography Thread

Hrishi

Man those cloud pics are stunning.!!! For a moment I thought they were manipulated using some effects. Some real nice , pro photography there.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Rhitwick,
Just these two things would help little to make images a little better. I hope you don't mind.

Serenity2
Shutter speed (0.4 sec) - It's pretty obvious this will result it motion blur if we take this handheld. Try as sujoy suggested. You can use self timer untill you buy remote trigger.
Agree. Its not always possible to find apt environment to help yourself. But, I'll keep that in mind. Thanx.

Aperture (f/5.6) - I think (vaguely remember) people use f/11 (around this no.) for landscape. You figure out what's working for you. I think f/5.6 is too large for landscape.
The large aperture is intentional. I took few shots with low aperture but had to use flash. The images were taken at around 7.30 PM. I wanted to capture the whole beach with as much natural light I can get. So, large aperture and an unnatural color tone as background.

In general people keep something in foreground to make the image look interesting. The tricky thing is focus, you have to keep the foreground subject to infinity in focus. For that you have to hyperfocal distance, dof and all. In this case, waves are blurred coz of DOF or because of both dof and long exposure.
The only reason of blurred waves is the exposure. 0.4 sec is too long to capture a still wave.
WB - May be you chose an inappropriate WB or AWB, it's too bluish. If you were right and still it's too bluish, you have to warm it up a little bit.
But I like the blue color I got! And, you are right in my cam AWB is selected. Is that not right?

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Rhitwick: I personally like the blue color tone of your pictures. If you had access to a tripod you could have closed the aperture to f/7 or so and put a 10 odd sec exposure to completely make the waves like a foamy mist. This in no way says that what you did was not right, and the stunning pics speak for themselves

Ok a few from my side too

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5491/11482681343_2dbf7c1b8c_c.jpg
With the hills as neighbours by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/11533937376_670e17b085_c.jpg
And what exactly were you doing? by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ If you like the blue colour, it's fine. I have even tried different WB to get a different tone than actual.

my cam AWB is selected. Is that not right?
Camera may not works always the way we want. You have a camera in which you can control it's behaviour. You can either pick your desire WB for the scene for jpeg or you can shoot RAW and edit them in PP.

Its not always possible to find apt environment to help yourself.
Yeah, true. There should be some consideration. No tripod, can't put our expensive gear in the sand. Only we can do is find a rock or stone or something to keep the camera stable, but not all the beaches have rocks. :)

Amlan,
And what exactly were you doing?
He may not be Emraan, but he can give you a memorable one :) Did you get it? ;)

Gen, I tried long exposure to see whether I could get some colours in the horizon before sunrise and also to see whether I could expose for 15 sec without blowing out the image. I tried it roughly 30-45 minutes before sunrise and I kept the aperture wide open. It's working gen. With ND filter on, you may able to do that even just few minutes before sunrise or may be even when sun starts to peek from behind the ocean. Good luck :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nice shot amlan ...but whats the idea behind a macro shot of camel :D :D its soo close that I can count the hair on his mustach and beard :D

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@izzikio_rage - How close were you from the camel ?

Ran out of ideas what to photograph this time. So tried some max zoom photos.

Used the Sony H55 after quite some time. Its still quite decent in good light.
*farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/11620795376_61a4851ec8_b.jpg

S110 isn't the camera for birds, This is cropped part of the photo at max zoom.
*farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/11620377244_e4de5b6e44_b.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
@gen bird is nice...dog dosnt seem to be happy u shooting his pic :D

Some shots I took today ....went for a photo trekking :)

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5538/11627967234_fcd8555c12_z.jpg
DSC_0791 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3787/11628723056_aa11841b05_z.jpg
DSC_0796 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3780/11628161533_1e6f6755e9_z.jpg
DSC_0802 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2847/11628646906_f0b46626ea_z.jpg
DSC_0668 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7457/11628015303_8c7ae61534_z.jpg
DSC_0647 by sujoyp, on Flickr

*farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/11627978833_6eab6b5c1d_z.jpg
DSC_0665 by sujoyp, on Flickr

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Sujoy,those are nice, sharp clicks. Good composition too.

Some random birds I happened to click recently:

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2880/11628881795_318d0f17dd_o.jpg

*farm8.staticflickr.com/7370/11629116423_e608c8efdb_o.jpg

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2852/11629252144_ca1caba7bf_o.jpg

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2805/11629104313_32f1cb0240_o.jpg

kaz

right here
The last 3 posts with pictures are simply amazing
I haven't seen these kind of birds or may be I just don't give much attention :(

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
@sujoyp - The first bird photo is super. The others are nice too but I'd have liked them better with a little more colour (saturation ?) & contrast, but that's just my preference.

@a_medico - Great photos, I like 3rd & 4th the best. What camera you using ?

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@gen ...I think my D3100 is not sufficient for good birding...many of my friends said that I should upgrade to a better body to get contrasty and better focussed birds ...the pics from D3100 are soo low on contrast that after PP they look like this

Will upgrade soon then will see ;)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Nice pics on this page, Sujoy,Medico :)

@Sujoy: If you got RAW images might want to try editing them. Been experimenting with them a little lately and slowly getting the hang of the controls. Definitely a lot more options than editing jpeg :)

a_medico

Chillum Baba
@Gen - Canon 60D

@Sujoy - I believe you shot them with sigma 150-500. Probably Nikon company lens would give better results, rather than a camera change. Ofcourse higher camera will perform better. In the end it all boils down to how much you are ready to spend.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah I too have started using RAW only ..coz I found that it takes same time to edit a RAW and a JPEG ...soo jumped the ship ...I have RAW files pranav at home...which one do you want to try :)

@medico ...I know 300f4+tc gives better result coz its sharp at f4 and I am shooting these at f8-f10 with ISO 800-1600 ...I had to use lots of noise reduction ...but 300f4+tc combo cost 80k and my sigma cost me 35k ..huge difference in cost
but what I said is true...many birding guys told me that D3100 is not sufficient for birding due to slow focus speed and low on contrast in general shots ....I may just get Nikon D7000 if needed

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Nice... So I think my biggest achievement for this year is that I convinced a bunch of you amazing photographers to switch to RAW :)

Top Bottom