The Photography Thread

a_medico

Chillum Baba
^^ i just ordered 1TB from flipkart. Western Digital. Heard few good reviews. I don't shoot in RAW. Takes too much space. As on today, I am quite happy with the results of post processing on jpg in lightroom. I know I am missing many things while not shooting in RAW, but dont exactly know what/which. Things you don't know won't hurt you!

sujoyp

Grand Master
medico actually I too used to neglect RAW ...but I saw editing jpeg and RAW just takes same time...and I dont store the original RAW files yet...just dump everything at one place ...soo the external HDD of WD :)

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz

*ppcdn.500px.org/56393480/3ce9b1f5c4e875247bcd812c9b3fddffa946d59a/4.jpg

Resting
by
srikant mishra

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
yaah I too have started using RAW only ..coz I found that it takes same time to edit a RAW and a JPEG ...soo jumped the ship ...I have RAW files pranav at home...which one do you want to try :)

@medico ...I know 300f4+tc gives better result coz its sharp at f4 and I am shooting these at f8-f10 with ISO 800-1600 ...I had to use lots of noise reduction ...but 300f4+tc combo cost 80k and my sigma cost me 35k ..huge difference in cost
but what I said is true...many birding guys told me that D3100 is not sufficient for birding due to slow focus speed and low on contrast in general shots ....I may just get Nikon D7000 if needed

I'd like 802 and 647 as RAW if possible.

The sad thing is that for the last few months all I have been doing here is just commenting :|
I am looking for a good walkaround lens (something along the likes of the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM review: Digital Photography Review) for the time I will get a bike in a few months and *hope* to wander off a bit and need a single lens to carry around. Any suggestions (I have nearly given up shooting for the time being) ?

If somebody here doesnt mind explaining, how much of a difference in IQ are we talking about between Sujoy's D3100 and a possible higher end upgrade, the lens being kept constant ? I understand that there is surely going to be difference, but is it enough to be a gamechanger in photographs without having to pixel peep - in this case , contrast ?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
These are likely to be my last clicks of the year. Shot early in the morning.

*imageshack.us/a/img41/9246/1l0a.jpg

*imageshack.us/a/img9/57/1sle.jpg

I think the second shot I forgot to change the focus, it was set in MF. I thought of increasing the exposure and get some shadow details, but later I decided to leave it as it was.

Please do C & C.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nac 1st one is good composition...2nd one looks without a subject...what to look in that :(

@pranav ....it all depend on ur budget ....Sigma 18-250 HSM OS is good one...Tamron 18-270 VC PZD is also good ...Nikon 18-200 AFS VR is also best among them.
If u dont have budget then get Nikon 18-105 AFS VR ...its a good alround lens

About D3100 vs higher end DSLR ...IQ doesnt change ...but faster focus, 16 Bit RAW , more fps certainly helps in birding...I had hard time shooting birds in flight coz I had only 3.5 fps ...most pic came out of focus
if u shoot raw all the time it dosnt matter much in other situation ....contrast of picture also depends on lens ...but I have seen many reviews of D3100 and know that it produce bit low in contrast pics

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi Sujoy, my friend shoots exclusively with D3100 and 300 mm Prime and his bird shots are excellent. Have a look. I think the Sigma lens cant compete with a prime lens with regards to details and sharpness

Flickr: Abinash Dhal

sujoyp

Grand Master
excellent shots by ur friend ...actually higher body is long time pending for me ...I always wanted better grip, more controls and motor inside also ability to meter AIS lens , pentaprism...I will surely jump to 300 prime someday...but now its turn of DSLR upgrade :)

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
These are likely to be my last clicks of the year. Shot early in the morning.

I think the second shot I forgot to change the focus, it was set in MF. I thought of increasing the exposure and get some shadow details, but later I decided to leave it as it was.

Please do C & C.

To be honest, I don't like both. There's nothing interesting in both of them to look at. You got the moon but its so small but framing between the trees is nice.

Your pics remind me of an edit I made I ended up not liking. I was not sure what I wanted to get with this one.
*imageshack.us/a/img577/5518/hzlu.jpg

@srkmish - Those bird pics are too good.

kaz

right here
Hi Sujoy, my friend shoots exclusively with D3100 and 300 mm Prime and his bird shots are excellent. Have a look. I think the Sigma lens cant compete with a prime lens with regards to details and sharpness

Flickr: Abinash Dhal

But, Flickr says its a D5100 :) And no doubt the shots are great..

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@sujoy: if FPS is an imp consideration then do give the mirrorless cameras a consideration. Mine gives a crazy 9 odd fps at it's burst shooting mode, which fills the buffer in round 4 sec. After which it slows depending on how fast your card is.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks Gen, Sujoy.

what to look in that
The intention was keeping the nice blue starry sky as the subject. I get your point.

You got the moon but its so small but framing between the trees is nice.
Your pics remind me of an edit I made I ended up not liking. I was not sure what I wanted to get with this one.

I manipulated to get the moon bigger, but it didn't come out good.
In fact your editing was nice. Is that a composite?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
But, Flickr says its a D5100 :) And no doubt the shots are great..

The news ones he is shooting via D5100 i think. But all his photos taken with D3100 are excellent as well. Especially the 3rd one is fabulous. Examples below

Just Landed.. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Common Kingfisher | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I Can Fly and Shout.. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Whiskered Tern | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Breakfast Time | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

*ppcdn.500px.org/56392872/5a21aa3eaec7dca245be4712c0fbd6335198b69a/4.jpg

Lonely Shore
by
srikant mishra

*ppcdn.500px.org/56395848/148fea1ebc4457ee79eb015f3cabdf243d0c09ab/4.jpg

*ppcdn.500px.org/56395848/148fea1ebc4457ee79eb015f3cabdf243d0c09ab/4.jpg

Macrocosm
by
srikant mishra

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
I manipulated to get the moon bigger, but it didn't come out good.
In fact your editing was nice. Is that a composite?

Now you got to post first new year pics.
Its a single photo. The skylights & stars are created in photoshop.

@srkmish - The sunset is looking nice.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz

*ppcdn.500px.org/56853748/0eab182fb06cc233867bdf531513d85e53d5faba/4.jpg

Bloom
by
srikant mishra

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Srkmish, You seem to be using lot of cameras... SX50, 550D, HX20... any more than that... :) You have some nice collection in your photostream. Good work :thumbs:

Now you got to post first new year pics.
Did you mean me?
I did go out to take some good photographs. But things didn't panned out as I expected it to be. I didn't get attend any party last night, so I was out in the public place. First, I was shooting in a bridge. Patrol police came and asked me to leave the place. Then I got my vehicle off the road and trying to get some nice bokeh, then two drunkards came in and I had to leave the place. Then I didn't feel like shooting after that and came home.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Srkmish, You seem to be using lot of cameras... SX50, 550D, HX20... any more than that... :) You have some nice collection in your photostream. Good work :thumbs:

thnks nac.i sold off my 550d actually. realized i dint wnt to lug around a dslr everywhere. HX20 is my fav cam and gives me vry good iq and not to mention, easily pocketable. im planning on selling off sx50 after 2 months only as the AF at the tele end is poor and im not really njoying chasing birds as half of my photos become OOF. have heard of good reviews of fuji hs50 for birding. might buy that next

nac

Aspiring Novelist
tHX20 is my fav cam and gives me vry good iq and not to mention, easily pocketable. im planning on selling off sx50 after 2 months only as the AF at the tele end is poor and im not really njoying chasing birds as half of my photos become OOF. have heard of good reviews of fuji hs50 for birding. might buy that next

I can see nice dynamic in "gay abandon", "enchanted sunset" :)

Reviews of SX50 was much better than HS50. If you're not happy with SX50, it's less likely that you will like HS50 or the difference won't be massive to worth the switch. I get it, lens is little faster and phase detection. If you're serious in getting a new bridge, better try your hands on before buying.

@nac bad experience u got ...anyways that was past year ;)

Yeah, there are lot more new years gonna come in my life. I will get an opportunity to shoot then... :)

Top Bottom