The Photography Thread

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
This is some of d pics from my visit to malavli, near lonavala.

*img2.imageshack.us/i/dsc007401.jpg/
*img41.imageshack.us/i/41068594.jpg/
*img29.imageshack.us/i/dsc00667h.jpg/
*img134.imageshack.us/i/dsc00763bw.jpg/

Direct Link to Gallery
*img2.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc007401.jpg

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
No post processing is done on the second one(neither on first one). As Toofan guessed rightly, it was taken in the evening at around 7:15 PM at Shivaji Park on World Photography Day :)
There was even a faint rainbow at that time & the whole atmosphere was beautiful.

Taken at,
ISO = 100
Aperture = 4.50
Shutter Speed = 1/8th of a second

I didn't had my tripod then but the shot came really steady with only a faint shake visible only at 100% crop.

Last edited:

toofan

Technomancer
@INS-ANI: Artistic work.
All of a sudden all the artists jumping into the ground.

INS_ANI one suggestion. If the images you post in web were reduced to a lower sizes then it will be a great help for saving the bandwidth. I only have 1 gb plan and i had to live in that limit for a month.

So if you can resize them to a lower size and resolution would be easier for me to watch them anytime. I too learned this from pimpom.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Toofan, you should have gone more closer to get a perfect macro. The background is still not blur to concentrate on the drops alone.
You did any PP?

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
*yfrog.com/4zdsc005431j
*img179.imageshack.us/img179/5861/dsc005431.jpg

I need some advice. Which is The best way to take close up photographs?
I own a Sony cybershot 12MP DSC-W210.

The above shot is not as good as it could have been.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I don't have much time to spare for the forum these days, but it's good to see you guys becoming more and more involved in photography. We're seeing some pretty nice shots too. Keep it up.

I would have liked to comment on each picture, but as I said, I have a limited amount of time these days. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that I'm an expert who can give lessons to all of you in photography :) I just mean that I would like to pay compliments to the good shots when they are posted and offer some constructive criticisms where it's appropriate.

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/5861/dsc005431.jpg

I need some advice. Which is The best way to take close up photographs?
I own a Sony cybershot 12MP DSC-W210.

The above shot is not as good as it could have been.
1. The highlights are blown (no detail in the bright areas). This is because you're using multi-segment metering which means that the camera tries to compensate for the dark background by increasing the exposure. The resultant exposure is too high for the highlight areas.

The principles are the same as for taking photos of the moon (I explained these to toofan some time back in the thread).

Try using spot-metering and let the camera take the metering from the ash at the head of the cigarrette. If the shot still does not come out properly exposed, try adjusting the exposure compensation settings (EV) and the flash power settings. Or experiment with manual exposure settings.

2. You're using flash. It's hard to get an even lighting with 3D objects with flash, especially at close range. Use additional lighting to illuminate the sides or use reflectors such as white cloth or paper so that some of the flash light will be reflected on to the sides of the subject.

3. You were shooting in a dark environment and this required the slow shutter speed of 1/3 sec. To get a sharp picture at that shutter speed, do not hand-hold the camera. Either use a tripod or set the camera on a firm surface (you might have done this).

4. You used Auto white balance. This can sometimes result in an unnatural colour with some subjects photographed with flash. Is this why you converted the image to greyscale? You could try setting the white balance to Flash mode.

toofan

Technomancer
Toofan, you should have gone more closer to get a perfect macro. The background is still not blur to concentrate on the drops alone.
You did any PP?

Thanks dear. Yes I too think that a much closer shot would be much impressive after viewing the image. But at the time of shooting, I am impressed by those yellow (i don';t know what to call them). And I am try to focus them as main subject.
But after I saw it in PC I too felt the same.

I don't think(remember) i have done any post process. I will have to check the original.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
@INS-ANI: i wish to see this in color (the redness of the burning tip). Or if in B/W then the smoke should be more prominent. (only my feel).

As per your camera I will advise you to use the Macro mode for close-up.

And If you have maunal mode then pimpon is always there to help you.
Posted again:
@INS-ANI: i wish to see this in color (the redness of the burning tip). Or if in B/W then the smoke should be more prominent. (only my feel).

As per your camera I will advise you to use the Macro mode for close-up.

And If you have maunal mode then pimpon is always there to help you.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
*img198.imageshack.us/img198/4747/img0309kx.th.jpg

Shot the above image today when I was with my friend. Saw the spelling error on the board & was about to shoot just then my friend came in the frame & started posing. Took it in AUTO mode since my camera was running low on power. I liked this shot.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Cool Do you always move with your camera. :D

he he. You're right. Its always with me or you can say you can't find me without the camera(Friends always use this line). :)

Here are some more snaps I took of the recent Ganesh Utsav 2009. Please critique on them. While snapping I was wondering what would be an interesting angle. Most of the shots I took are upfront shots or sideshots.

Check out Ganesh Utsav 2009 Photo Album

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@toofan
working on it buddy... gt some tut. will post soon

@pimpom
thanks buddy..wil try to implement your advice

dfizams

May be tomorrow
sorry friends to post this here, couldnt help it. my account doesnot allow me to post new thread. i am in real need to solve this problem, tried gogle no help...so please excuse and help me out.....
Please help me in solving this problem. whenever i try to install nitro pdf both version 5 and 6, halfway through the installation, this error message "Error 1935. an error occured during the ......component {9BAE13A2-E7AF-D6C3-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}.HRESULT: 0X80070003." comes up and installation quits by rolling back. I am using windows 7 version 6.1 build 7600 and nitro pdf was working fine. This problem started, after i uninstalled, when i tried to install the same version of nitro pdf. Please help me around, Thanks in advance.

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@toofan
Here is the Image you requested.
*img3.imageshack.us/i/45470884.jpg/
*img143.imageshack.us/i/dsc00545l.jpg/
Direct link
*img3.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=45470884.jpg

Also as i am using sony DSC W210. i checked the settings. I guess it doesn't come with manual mode. I can't set aperture or focal on my own.

If any one has exp with similar series, please advice the best way out.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
he he. You're right. Its always with me or you can say you can't find me without the camera(Friends always use this line). :)
:) I know what you mean. My friends sometimes tease me about it too. Two years ago, my 7-year old niece was hit by a light truck and I rushed to the hospital when I heard the news. A few days later, when she had passed the critical point, a friend remarked that I must have REALLY been in a hurry because I hadn't taken my camera along.

My wife and children always call me when they see something I might want to photograph. Earlier tonight, my daughter called me when she found this cute little frog in our bathroom.

*img195.imageshack.us/img195/3443/frogq.jpg

(My daughter has participated in two photography contests and won a prize in both).

toofan

Technomancer
@Cool. Very colorful pics. Specially the Images in which there is a light beam are looking very nice and different in approach.

@ins_ins: yes now these are the pics to watch. Actually the burning cigarette and the smoke has its own charm(not in a way of smoking :D) and can be seen clearly in extremes.
Use the macro mode freely. Its best most of the time (taking close-up).

@pimpom: What a family sirji! :)
about the pic: just look into his eyes, these saying something but i am not able to figure it out.

Pimpon change its background to black or something and enhance this pic in photo editing software. It will be one of the best in your profile.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
@pimpom: What a family sirji! :)
about the pic: just look into his eyes, these saying something but i am not able to figure it out.
He was probably thinking "Who's this guy invading my privacy?" :)

Pimpon change its background to black or something and enhance this pic in photo editing software. It will be one of the best in your profile.
I'll get around to that when I have more time. I simply cropped and resized the pic before posting it.

Top Bottom