The Photography Thread

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
^^^LOL..I will try..actually the room is dark...and these kittens run away continuously...I found it quit difficult to focus and take these pics:lol:

:p try this..(if your are not an animal activist) take them out of the dark room.. and place them on dining table or any "safe" surface with some height. They are kittens and probably don't yet know to jump.. once there they will take some time to get used to and will give you real angry or terrified faces :)

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

Was experimenting with my Automatic Cam and found a way to increase exposure.. Though it works only in dark.
Here are the images, do make any suggestions if required.
(Exposure: approx 3-4 seconds)
*lh4.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S93uTxEfiMI/AAAAAAAAAWY/Vvhf4KVnyUs/s800/DSC01670%20%5B%5D.JPG

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 AM ----------

The above image: Was waiting for car (with red backlight) to move, it didn't so i moved my cam!
*lh3.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S93uVQ5gHeI/AAAAAAAAAW4/bJX8uL47R1g/s800/DSC01674%20%5B%5D.JPG
*lh6.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S93uVh4uUsI/AAAAAAAAAW8/DOvHVuW2JeQ/s640/1.jpg
Experimenting with matchstick.
*lh5.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S93uVTtWm8I/AAAAAAAAAXA/z_FBUd6vgs8/s640/DSC01651%20%5B%5D.JPG
*lh3.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S93uWt2jA3I/AAAAAAAAAXE/WDmKdbPT2rE/s640/DSC01639%20%5B%5D.JPG
Lightning!
*lh5.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S93uXzD0FwI/AAAAAAAAAXM/SbYFUArkZC0/s640/3.jpg
Experimenting with incense stick.
*lh3.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S93uYc1MaMI/AAAAAAAAAXU/BUKQa64_wfQ/s640/5.jpg
Again the incense stick!

sujoyp

Grand Master
@INS-ANI...thanks for the cool cat tips...although I have cats from last 7-8 years...these kittens dont come close to me much seem like giving some tasty bribe will do:p

@rhitwick...ur watch is out of focus man:)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@rhitwick - Watch as well as fork is poorly focussed. I think you went too close for camera to focus. The second shot is focussed but its focussed at around the neck of the fork. The focus in second should be around head of fork.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Gosh!!! guys, I took these with my Sony W810i mobile cam...watch is no exceptional thing but I kinda liked the fork thing. :cool:

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
Some of new attempts: Starting with original pic and then edited one:
*lh4.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S9-TFLgofmI/AAAAAAAAAY4/1qI6AtvQ5D8/s640/DSC0170%20%5B%5D.JPG
*lh3.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S9-TEHA3IPI/AAAAAAAAAYs/SQs4dnToZAY/s576/1.jpg
*lh5.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S9-TEvML_SI/AAAAAAAAAY0/LJ2xsGe31cw/s576/3.jpg
*lh4.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S9-TEsAqcmI/AAAAAAAAAYw/9MXMD6nfgXY/s576/2.jpg

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@INS-ANI, ok you have got the concept, rather making rounds only, try with some shapes, letters...
How about writing ur forum name in this method :rolleyes:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@INS_ANI - Block light entering your room by closing the windows & shutting the crevices with newspapers. Better if you try Light Painting at night time. What is the light source you're using here? What are camera settings?

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@rhitwick
I am using a Automatic Cybershot Cam, and accidently discovered this setting in nigh mode of the cam. In night mode, with low light on object the cam automatically provides an exposure of 3 seconds.
Thats quite small time,not enough to write a letter.
Can you suggest some other way to do it within the time domain.May b i can cheat by taking different snaps while keeping the background same. :)

@cool G5
You are not going to believe it, but i was taking snaps at dead of night when there was no electricity in my area.. The source of light is from cam's flash.. Its automatic setting, cant change it.. but i may try blocking the flash.
Will it work? i mean what would be the difference? will try tonight.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@rhitwick
I am using a Automatic Cybershot Cam, and accidently discovered this setting in nigh mode of the cam. In night mode, with low light on object the cam automatically provides an exposure of 3 seconds.
Thats quite small time,not enough to write a letter.
Can you suggest some other way to do it within the time domain.May b i can cheat by taking different snaps while keeping the background same. :)

@cool G5
You are not going to believe it, but i was taking snaps at dead of night when there was no electricity in my area.. The source of light is from cam's flash.. Its automatic setting, cant change it.. but i may try blocking it.
Will it work? i mean what would be the difference? will try tonight.

You can try blocking the flash but I think then the camera will underexpose the image. Preferably use a smaller source of light like a laser or mobile torch. 3 secs are enough to write alphabets. Not all but one by one. Join them later on PC. i had posted such a pic earlier. If you have time scroll through the earlier pages to find it. It has my name.

@rhitwick - I clicked this with my fixed focus(non-autofocus) camera mobile Nokia 3230. So you can do a lot better with your auto focus W810i.

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3875120892_a7cd653b76.jpg

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3527/3874334167_f82d408c13.jpg

No PP is done on either of the images.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^*drool*
@INS-ANI: I like the noise on your cam. Im thinking I have a strange attraction to noisy images. They have more feel or something. You could have tried natural actions though, like striking a match, instead of waving it around. Just saying, im not an expert or anything, very interested in light painting though.

toofan

Technomancer
InS_ANI: That's why its call think before you buy. For what purpose you will use the camera.

There would be a option to switch off the flash. I had seen it in similar sony cam. If you didn't find that then block the flash. It will not not affect the light painting in any way. Try using different color lights, shape and size of light.

chitvan

Journeyman
Hello guys....
again my pic is selected as Photo of the Day in Fotoflock...
*fotoflock.com/
it automatically qualifies for this months upcoming Photo of the Month Contest.

*images.orkut.com/orkut/photos/OgAAAN0FXGFy9_dS1DGP3qQrGc7eKMMOlpPilSOSwSblISsb0yJzw0w6ISRKrlZ-9s-LIN3e66Ve5LRVU-fW4hSv1KwAm1T1UMwVd2d-eFmFHwSCq5oTMrW5UOiT.jpg

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
InS_ANI: That's why its call think before you buy. For what purpose you will use the camera.

There would be a option to switch off the flash. I had seen it in similar sony cam. If you didn't find that then block the flash. It will not not affect the light painting in any way. Try using different color lights, shape and size of light.

Earlier to this i never thought i may like photography as a hobby and to add to that i had absolutely no idea about photography basics.
However, atleast i know now and my next purchase will be a good quality SLR, but that may take 2-3 years :(

@others, thanks for inputs, will try your suggestion. Sry for luky response, but got an exam tmr. Wil respond later.

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
Another try of the same old stuff:
*lh6.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S-B33BHpeZI/AAAAAAAAAaM/3Vl1aLFe8l8/s576/5.jpg
This time using a Mobile Torch
Background was too sharp, hence intentionally blurred.

@cool G5
Will experiment by blocking the flash, lets see what i can get.
Beside about your own image, will search it and give my feedback.

@Anorion
Well.. its not noise, but editing errors. IMO Raw images from CAM are noiseless, but editing them using two different image editing tools gives noise.

@toofan
Thanks for the advice, will try them soon. :)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@INS_ANI - This one is cool. Feels like the seam of a cricket ball. :)

@Rhitwick - Happy Birthday. Some yummy food for you. :)

Garlic Veggie Sandwich

*farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4580802134_62dc993c44.jpg

Portrait of my friend

*farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4580779188_594afed5f5.jpg

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
Thanks to you both for encouraging me..
@cool G5, i can't find the image you were talking about. I am on low bandwidth connection and hence its a bit difficult for me to go through all pages, can you please post it again?

An edited version of the same image.. really don't know what else to do :(
*lh4.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/S-E5jUgZ3OI/AAAAAAAAAao/ulohVrJ0lVM/s576/8.jpg

Top Bottom