The Photography Thread

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@stuge - Yeah got it. Thanks for the explanation. I left Windows because I want to live guilt free & then again I like the fast releases & features offered by Linux distros & softwares. I did feel the pinch of lack of plugins in GIMP but I'm ready to learn the hard way around. I have the patience. At the moment I don't even have funds to get a entry level DSLR, leave alone a good mid range one or even PS alongwith genuine windows. Being at your level is not an easy job but I'll be happy even if I get to about half of your level.

@chirag - OK, I'll keep your recommendations in mind.

@toofan - Nice capture.

@all - Any comments on the above image will be appreciated.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@stuge - Yeah got it. Thanks for the explanation. I left Windows because I want to live guilt free & then again I like the fast releases & features offered by Linux distros & softwares. I did feel the pinch of lack of plugins in GIMP but I'm ready to learn the hard way around. I have the patience. At the moment I don't even have funds to get a entry level DSLR, leave alone a good mid range one or even PS alongwith genuine windows. Being at your level is not an easy job but I'll be happy even if I get to about half of your level.

Dude, no probs...a lot of us actually lot worse than you.
And, u r doing pretty good with ur cam than others who have a great cam but knows nothing about photography.

Don't worry and don't dishearten. You are a student and not financially independent. A lot of us here actually work can afford something u dream of.

One positive point is, you have a lot of time ahead of you, when you will be of our age, not only you will be a pro but you could fund your dream too...

sujoyp

Grand Master
Friends I want some tips to improve on my moon pic below....actually I took it in full dark night...can a P&S can focus on moon? what should I do to take this pic better
I took it on ISO 800
*lh4.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S9cu9OHwvBI/AAAAAAAAE48/z5qjmvbqFN8/s400/DSC03785.JPG

2nd one I took in evening at ISO 800 and did some editing
*lh6.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S9cvEIiSB4I/AAAAAAAAE5A/tPTu5EBrBZg/s400/DSC03777.JPG
Can I have this type of effect at dark night?

chitvan

Journeyman
Friends I want some tips to improve on my moon pic below....actually I took it in full dark night...can a P&S can focus on moon? what should I do to take this pic better
I took it on ISO 800
*lh4.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S9cu9OHwvBI/AAAAAAAAE48/z5qjmvbqFN8/s400/DSC03785.JPG

*lh6.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S9cvEIiSB4I/AAAAAAAAE5A/tPTu5EBrBZg/s400/DSC03777.JPG
if your camera has manual mode..then...
keep shorter exposure & lower ISO...

toofan

Technomancer
I took it on ISO 800

sujoyp: 1st image is excellently taken. Nice compo and beautiful.

for taking 2nd Image
1. check earlier posts of this thread.
2. use least ISO possible.
3. Use point focus .
4. Use tripod.
5. zoom maximum of optical available.
6. crop heavily.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@chitvan No my cam dont have exposure control:-(

@toofan ...thanks for compliment...
Less ISO means more time I think...then I have to get a tripod
I zoomed maximum(5x) and cropped to near half:smile:

thanks for advice

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@sujoyp - If you don't have a tripod then you can make do for timebeing by supporting your camera on any solid rigid surface.

Also try to under-expose the moon. If you keep perfect exposure then moon will seem brighter & you'll not get its surface texture.

You may like to read : How to take a perfect Moon Shot

@rhitwick - Yes, I agree with you. Thanks. :)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Its ME!

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/4560196184_2924787dce_o.jpg

The above shot was taken by my friend while I was taking his shot. ;-)
Spent around an hour or so on retouching it on GIMP. Tried curves, blurred the background using gaussian blur, played with other settings & then gave it a sprocket hole feel from decor. Any suggestions on how I can enhance it further?

toofan

Technomancer
Cool: Wow. Nice shot. For this type of shots you don't need heavy processing. Its looking nice and unnoticed whatever you have done.

check by increasing a bit of sharpening.

Stuge

Youngling
@sujoyp : your cam shd have EV control in 1/3 +/-.Even my older A540IS(broken ) had it .Check A570IS manual :).

Well ,with 4x Zoom you can only try out composition with trees, clouds ,buildings ,etc (like you have been doing right now ).

otherwise ,to get a clear picture of moon (with high zoom ) it is always better to click numerous shots ,and then stack them .To get the detail and less noise :).

@G5 : nice shot :D ..I just hope you don't download mp3's or any music file or even watch pirated movies, and always buy music cd's to remain guilty free :p (just pulling your leg :D ).

sujoyp

Grand Master
@Stuge....yeh u r right...there is an EV control but it say brightness soo I never thought that its an exposure control....anyway I used it even before...just that I didnt know..it has +2 to -2 range:smile:

I know my cam with 5x optical cant take too good pic of moon...just trying:razz:

toofan

Technomancer
sujoyp: no need to under expose or over expose. Use spot metering in place of evaluative or center weighted.

*img524.imageshack.us/img524/4276/moon5.jpg

Camera Model Name Canon PowerShot SX110 IS
Shooting Date/Time 31/08/2009 7:16:13 AM
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/320
Av (Aperture Value) 4.5
ISO Speed 80

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@stuge & @ toofan - The pic I posted above was blurred using gaussian blur in gimp to get some DOF. I outlined myself using the free select tool & then inverting the selection. Still as you know selection can't be perfect pixel to pixel & as such one can see a thin line distinguishing the background & the subject in larger versions of the image. How can this be made less noticeable? Dodge tool or so?

sujoyp

Grand Master
@toofan...ur pic is just the perfect one...what I want...I cant zoom much...but I will surely try tomorrow...today is kindda cloudy here

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@chitvan yes you can, take it at full zoom with spot metering and then crop it ...will give you a good shot ....my sony w150 did.

toofan

Technomancer
@toofan...ur pic is just the perfect one...what I want...I cant zoom much...but I will surely try tomorrow...today is kindda cloudy here

No one can zoom that much. Just crop it at 100%.

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Cool: have you heard about mask in layers. Apply this to fine tune the selection you make. Zoom to 100% to 200% and then finetune the edges with brush tool. Using black and white in mask.
if you can't get me then google it how to do this in gimp. Gimp is very powerful to use.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@chitvan...I use Sony T100..

@toofan cropping it make it distorted....it dosnt look clean....its on ISO200 and spot metering

*lh5.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S9kUSYbidWI/AAAAAAAAE7s/VXdWxQU_gdQ/s800/DSC03795_2.JPG

original looks like
*lh5.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/S9g9DSe32MI/AAAAAAAAE6c/ZCq2RXWlXVY/s400/DSC03793.JPG

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
To take pictures in pitch dark use low ISO (ISO80) and lowest shutter speed.

Try to take the same picture with ISO80 and 15 Sec shutter delay.

BUT remember, if u r going to take picture in ISO80 use a tripod or keep the cam on some surface. Even if the cam shakes for a fraction of second ur picture will come blurred.

Top Bottom