The Photography Thread

sujoyp

Grand Master
@serpent ....change to shutter speed mode and increase the time to the max....1/200->1/30->1->max

so when u shoot the pic it will capture all the happenings within that period of time

mastervk

In the zone
Move your shutter speed in that manner...in DSLR if you will increase shutter speed like this you will enter bulb mode

sujoyp

Grand Master
mastervk we are decreasing the shutter speed ;) from 1/200 of a sec to 1 sec to max possible time the shutter can keep open

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Serpent,
I guess, you have already asked similar question before. As we have already suggested, better read the manual and basics of photography online. It will help you understand when people explain things...

It's hard if you don't understand when people explain in simple things using "photography" terms...

sujoyp

Grand Master
prashant I hope u know these are not shooting stars but due change of position of stars due to earth's rotation

here is a pic from a guy I know personally :) these are Not My Pics

Stars taken with looong exposure...more than 35-40 mins
*farm7.staticflickr.com/6005/5944627392_75d27b1e84.jpg
Monument Valley by Manish Mamtani, on Flickr

I asked him how to shoot this and the answer is ...go deep into places where u find no light other than ur camera lcd screen...and the sky should be crystal clear at that time ....he is an awesome photographer....
you guys can check - Flickr: Manish Mamtani's Photostream

Last edited:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Yeah normally we don't see stars because of light and pollution. But if you are in a village or somewhere far you can get very good trails... almost perfect hemispheres with a good DSLR.

The problem with a point and shoot is that I cant see what am shooting. LCD is black and composition is based on luck. Also I cannot do very long exposures... something like 10mins gives a very noisy image even at ISO100. And 2 mins isn't long enough for trails. Another way is to take composite shots.. which I am going to try soon! For the above shot I zoomed in... to get visible trails even with 2 min exposure

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
*farm8.staticflickr.com/7213/6862994094_5a824cf8f8.jpg
Startrails in jaipur - 50 min capture by amlanmathur, on Flickr

this can be done without the bulb mode and stuff .... you do need some place stable to put your camera though ...

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^ thats good Amlan...thanks ....btw couldnt u just avoid that water tank while composing ;)

@criztle I saw the fb group...but its for some specific college :)

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
^^ thats good Amlan...thanks ....btw couldnt u just avoid that water tank while composing ;)

@criztle I saw the fb group...but its for some specific college :)

he he, needed something that could remain stationary. Being the lazy guy that I am I thought that will test it out and then retake one with a better focal object .... that never happened :)

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
*farm9.staticflickr.com/8170/8064446499_b1d59ee104.jpg
Startrailsps.jpg by marvelprash, on Flickr

This was done by stacking 40 images of 30sec exposures.

sujoyp

Grand Master
40 images...soo many??
But its looking nice prashant...now u also could have avoided the water tank :D

Panorama created with 4 pics taken 2 months ago at kolkata. (I completely forgot)

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8451/8065833969_3ce61fe90a_c.jpg
Victoria Memorial Panorama by sujoyp, on Flickr

Last edited:
Top Bottom