The Photography Thread

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@INS, Nikon L110 is a good cam, no doubt. But it uses two AA batteries for it's power source. Using AA batteries instead of standard Li-Ion has it's own advantages and disadvantages. The good part is that you can carry couple of rechargeable batteries while u r travelling.. and even if the rechargeable batteries run out of power, u can buy regular batteries and keep going. But the disadvantage is that it makes the cam bit heavy.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@toofan - The intermittent blurring is not looking good at all. Post the original.

@izziko_rage - The colours look more saturated. the exposure seems too long as details are washed out.

@giga - Instead of Nikon L110 I suggest Canon SX 120 IS. Reasons :

> Picture quality in Canon is better.

> CHDK in Canon will boost the potential of the camera.

> Full MANUAL controls which the Nikon L110 lacks(the most IMP feature if you plan to go seriously into photography).

Also the camera won't power in case you use normal AA size batteries as you wrote. It will need AA size Alkaline batteries only & not the regular ones.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Oye people. Hows the following deal?

*cgi.ebay.in/Canon-Powershot-SX120-...m&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item27b22fd70d*cgi.ebay.in/Canon-Powershot-SX120-...m&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item27b22fd70d

toofan

Technomancer
*img198.imageshack.us/img198/6132/dsc0074ob.jpg

*img205.imageshack.us/img205/2680/dsc0071.jpg

same but with different angle and focal length. which one is better or keeper.

izziko_rage: nice colorful image and nicely composed. The blue color adding the punch .

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

taken in vivid mode.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@chirag: I too was planning to buy form e-bay so did a little research on this count.....the main catch is that they give what is known as a dealer warrenty, which means that the camera will be repaired under warrenty only by the dealer who you got it from, with a purchase from the show room you can get the cam repaired by any canon service center in india....if this is not a concern then its a great deal

@ toofan: thanks dude....

toofan

Technomancer
Ins-ani: this is not called fore ground blurr. This the depth of field and its positive to have your subject in sharp focus and rest blurred whether its background or foreground.

1st one has a shallow dof because its taken at focal length of 105 mm(157.5mm wrt 35mm) while the second one at 85mm(127.5mm wrt 35mm).

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@toofan - Beautiful portrait.
I have a query. The background DOF doesn't looks good to me. Feels like it has been overdone(if done using software) especially in the right upper corner of the frame. Did you achieve it with the camera itself or with software?

toofan

Technomancer
Thanks. cool: In the lower left portion I did it with P.S. As there was a rose plant. Which was not matching the whole background.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
What about the upper right corner above her head? I feel it to be patchy & somewhat unrealistic bokeh.

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
Ins-ani: this is not called fore ground blurr. This the depth of field and its positive to have your subject in sharp focus and rest blurred whether its background or foreground.

1st one has a shallow dof because its taken at focal length of 105 mm(157.5mm wrt 35mm) while the second one at 85mm(127.5mm wrt 35mm).

I reget my misinformed comment.
But here's my point, which of the following two options gives a better view?

1) blurring the background (or the object we don't wish to focus)
2) A little desaturation of the background?

I tried both of them in a sample image taken from net, and i found the second option gives better response.

I am no expert, but here's an explanation i can think of.. eyes are more sensitive to color when it comes to finer details and more sensitive to intensity if it comes to monochrome.

whereas, if any object in focus is blurred, eye detects it instantly hence it may not be able to focus completely on the object meant to be center of image.

I found some reduction in exposure and saturation gives good results.

Here's what i tried:
This is the original image:(image1)
*solutions00.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/lotus-flower-wallpaper.jpg

and this is the image i tried:(image2)
*lh4.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/TAtBo4hhU-I/AAAAAAAAAyo/3Smz61Xv-tA/s640/lotus-flower-wallpaper1.jpg

and this is the third try (image3): decrease in background exposure and saturation
*lh6.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/TAtC9E0yM-I/AAAAAAAAAy4/kciNped4pVU/s640/lotus-flower-wallpaper.jpg

And this one is the original image with blur:
(image4)
*lh6.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/TAtFiRuRdmI/AAAAAAAAAzI/VCnVBfl16eM/s640/lotus-flower-wallpaper.jpg

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@INS-ANI - To me, all of them still feel the same. The DOF in the original pic is so shallow that it is differentiating the subject & the background. I prefer to have background out of focus & feel that is what every photographer strives to achieve in his/her photographs to capture the attention of the viewer on to the subject.

sujoyp

Grand Master
played sometime with dad's film SLR Yashika FX-3...and found that even a 20 years old SLR cam had all...aperture setting, shutter speed, ISO, Focus ring(on lense), Zoom ring(on lense), hotshoe etc.:razz:
*lh5.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/TAtXKrX3AvI/AAAAAAAAFQw/BeBv0YLHZSg/s400/DSC04057.JPG

I took hundreds of pic using this without knowing ABC of SLR:razz::razz:

Ok i tried very hard to capture the water droplet pic but I think my cam is not fast enough to capture it...the best I got is
*lh3.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/TAtXLWJeFdI/AAAAAAAAFQ0/8K73xQ65wF8/s800/DSC04072.jpg

and another Macro shot
*lh6.ggpht.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/TAtXL7PfoeI/AAAAAAAAFQ4/rZWBF1jQipM/s800/DSC04091_2.JPG

@INS-INI...i tried that droplet spash many times but could not just capture it that quickly.:oops:

Last edited:
OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@cool, forgive me if i beg to differ, i am just trying to learn what i don't know.

I will specify the part of image as 1,2 and 3 as marked in this image.
This image is quite similar to the flower image posted by toofan, the part 1 shows the background, 2 the subject and 3 the flower he blurred (or due to DOF).
*lh6.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/TAtdSN5CBXI/AAAAAAAAAzs/z7pzG9HPJSs/linked.JPG
In the images posted in my last post, i can do not much with part1, but in two sperate image i have left subject (part2) intact and blurred (image4) and desaturated(image3) part 3.

My point is simple, i can't understand which is better thing to do?

If there can be a problem statement, it will go like this:
*lh6.ggpht.com/_FszDxDFtyog/TAtb29BjMHI/AAAAAAAAAzc/kq2wUK2srPY/s512/asas.JPG
The objective is to bring the box at center in to focus (in all three images). Image 1 has too many distraction (or source of light, or object with comparable light intensity). If i remove these distraction(reduce the luminance), vision (focus) is improved.
The third image is to represent different level of luminance reduction.

The second option is to blur the background.

I need to know which option is considered better?

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

@sujyop
Are you kidding me... thats wonderful images. Especially the second image. How did u take it? Please explain the setup.

and in the first image, it shows you worked really hard.The change of setup was very effective. But still it doesn't give the feel, the brightness at the top left is what's causing the trouble.
Can you try to cover tank bottom with something dark. Like you can put some plate type of object at the bottom,or a dark cloth or a black plastic sheet.

sujoyp

Grand Master
@INS-INI...Thanks...There is no special setup in the 2nd pic...the green ball is pudin hara:p and I placed it in front of a window..thats it

In 2nd pic thats an alumunium vessel...soo there is some reflection from window light...will try with different setup again:smile:

Anybody can tell me if i can use these Yashika Lense 35-70mm on new SLR cams??

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Squirrel & Ant - In Harmony

*farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4674257097_38d6e28afc_b.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

@INS-ANI - I would go with the thrid in which the foreground & the background is blurred leaving the subject sharp. But this would not look good if the foreground subject is too close to the main subject & hence it such a case the foreground should be relatively sharp too.

@sujoyp - You found a gem in the closet. It should help you learn more about photography. Actually both the pics are good & not that bad as you think so. yes there are areas for improvements but you'll learn them as you progress. For time-being, good job. :)

Top Bottom