The Photography Thread

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@toofan
the first 1 is great.. specially the water :)

regarding the second one.. just a suggestion (it might work) .. may be two shot one with sun and one without it added in panaroma/mixed would help The sun is too bright.. hence takes away all fun around.

toofan

Technomancer
Thanks Ins-Ani for you feedback.

Cool: i tried this. try to look on every aspect of you image where you can improve on pp.
*img176.imageshack.us/img176/5946/465567040245ebe4070ab.jpg

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@toofan - After PP, the image looks nice. Actually I'm not satisfied with both the images. Will post a near perfect image later on when I shoot them again. Both of your images are nice.

@stuge - Yes, the first one could have been better, even the second one could have been better. Will post more such pics in future.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Speckled Leaf

*farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4655670406_f2fc2a2287.jpg

Stuge

Youngling
I hate when people drag me not to take a picture :(.I feel Like spanking them badly :D.would have loved to click few more using different angles ..grrrr!

*farm2.static.flickr.com/1288/4661470345_812ddd995c_b.jpg

@cool: a good composed shot

Last edited:
OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@all, do you recommend buying an second hand SLR? I really want to, but do not wish to spend $$$ till i learn how to use it..
If yes, what are the most likely places to find it?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@stuge - Nice image but as you said different angles would have made it pop-out.

Also would like to ask, do you always shoot in RAW?

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

@all, do you recommend buying an second hand SLR? I really want to, but do not wish to spend $$$ till i learn how to use it..

I don't recommend it. Save some bucks & go for a new one itself.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Lake at Chhota Kashmir

*farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4655670400_02f3673d2f_b.jpg

Stuge

Youngling

which one ? how many shutter counts ?
used condition ? + how much are you ready to spend ?

there is not harm in getting a second hand if its in prinstine condition somewhat .many people do that .at least it will get you started and will help you in learning .

@cool : yes ,I always shoot raw .

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone

I don't recommend it. Save some bucks & go for a new one itself.
At the pace of my saving rate, i may have to wait over 3 years :(

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

@stuge I haven't' yet found any seller and have absolutely no idea regarding specs as well.. (which i am planning to learn this holidays). .. its just one of my frnd bought a canon EOS 7D... and it turned me on and am kind of addicted to stuff i have been trying to ignore :(

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

The main issue is.. in photography i m noob :( and i am not earning yet. so can't spend more than 15k even if i can... it has to make sense to my financers as well :)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@INS-ANI - Let's assume you get a 2nd hand DSLR for about Rs.15K. But what about the other things you will need like Lenses, Filters(& the list goes on)?

Other solution is to get a good prosumer having manual control which should fall in your budget. Also as you'll not earn from photography I don't think getting a DSLR is worth it. I too feel the desire to get a spanking DSLR as other people here are but then I won't be earning anything from it & it will become a financial headache for my parents. Will surely get one though when I'm ready to enter into photography business though.

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@stuge... can you suggest what specification i should go for?

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

@cool.... The only reason i want to buy a second hand SLR is for less price i will get features i can't afford to buy.
The objective is to learn and when i am confident (in 2-3 years), by that time i will be having my own source of income and will buy a new one which suites me skills.

Regarding lens and filters.. well i can skip lens as of now. Even with my Sony cybershot.. there's a lot left to discover before i move on to manual.

Stuge

Youngling
@stuge... can you suggest what specification i should go for?

try to get nikon d60 +18-55mm lens (since d60 has been discountinued you should be able to get 2nd hand for quite cheap ) or get d3000 +kit lens (costs rs 21-22k) new + I'm not sure how much second hand will go for .

keep an eye on jjmehta forums for used cameras .sooner or later good deal might pop up .

*www.jjmehta.com/forum/

but make sure to check da current grey market price, if da seller is selling what he bought from grey market .

Last edited:

toofan

Technomancer
Stuge: nice one.

Cool: nice reflections but missing the punch. It would have needed an extra subject to enhance the mood of image.

INS-ANI: you can get a new D40 for around this price range. You may get it from some shop keepers. because I had seen one D40x in my city with a shopkeeper 3 months ago. or you can buy an entry level DSLR any one from canon or Nikon it will be round 20 to 21k without bill.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@toofan - Which extra subject? The lake has been closed down for boating & the shot I took was taken from a distance putting my hands from gates. Couldn't do anything much here.

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
keep an eye on jjmehta forums for used cameras .sooner or later good deal might pop up .

*www.jjmehta.com/forum/

but make sure to check da current grey market price, if da seller is selling what he bought from grey market .
Thanks for the advice.. found a d3000 (3month to 1 year old).. asking price is Rs. 15k..
The only issue is.. seller is chennai based. I hope i can find someone from pune or mumbai :(

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@INS-ANI: As stuge pointed out, look out for the shutter actuations of the second hand DSLR you are buying. Nikon D3000 has the shutter actuation of 100,000. Make sure it has not crossed 25,000 since you are paying almost 75% of the current price.

A new D3000 will cost you around 23k and comes with a 18-55mm lens. Why not wait and pool in 8k more and get the new one. Also by the time you save ur extra money, the price might go down a bit.

And, think again. Do you really want a second hand DSLR? And do you really want a DSLR?

Since, I was initially planning to buy D3000, here are some of the things that I have noted down:

- Nikon D3000 doesn't come with Live View feature, so you can take pictures only via the optical view finder. Live view should not be a concern if you are an enthusiast.. coz many photographs choose to take shots via optical via finder rather than the live view.

- It doesn't have video recording feature.

- D3k doesn't have exposure bracketing. Meaning, you can't create HDR images 'easily'.

- Only good thing about the D3k is that it comes with a feature "Guide" mode which makes it easier for beginners to compose shots without having to think about the basics (which usually no enthusiasts prefer not to use).

---

If the brand is not ur concern, try going for Canon 1000D, it comes with Live view and costs around 23k which is a direct competitor to nikon's D3k.

A good alternative to DSLR with all the jazzy features that fits into your budget is the Nikon L110. Costs 14.5k

It's a pretty cool Bridge Camera (sits in between a point-n-shoot and DSLR) comes with 15x optical zoom, HD Movie recording and more.

I've tried this cam at Reliance Digital and it's easy to use and has good hand-grip.

Either save 8k more and get new D3k (if u have no issues with those points) or go for L110. Think!

-

Last edited:
OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
@ Thanks for the insight...there are many technical stuff i still don't know.
I think i would rather wait some more time and learn about specs. Once i am confident i can move on to DSLR, then only i should.

I should hold my emotions :)

toofan

Technomancer
Yup I will also suggest you canon 1000D its rated much higher then nikon one. In grey market the prices will be much lower may be around 20K. just check.

Live view is not a good feature to use for me. Because if once you start shooting through viewfinder you forget about live view. Till date i hadn't took any photo from live view.

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

*img156.imageshack.us/img156/7656/dsc0071copy.jpg

I don't know why but I had done some blurring in this image.

C & C welcome.

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone

I don't know why but I had done some blurring in this image.

C & C welcome.
I was about to point out that. Can you repost without blur, you may try little desaturation of the part you don't Wish to focus on, like the leaves.

About the cam, as adviced by giga, i found Nikon L110 impressive.. but i have decided to wait one-two month before i can buy.. just giving myself some time to learn about it.

Top Bottom