The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Though even I would like a desktop, I really want to retain the MBP's trackpad. No mouse can beat the Apple trackpad, IMHO.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@yash

The big problem is that people use their laptops very carelessly, I mean they just sit down on the floor and start their lappies, lappies on matress, lappies on laps and what not. The rule is simple give you laptop some respect, use it the way you use you desktop. Sit straight, adjust the lcd screen at a comfortable eye level, adjust its brightness to lowest comfortable level. And you will never have ergonomics problems with any laptop

aryayush said:
No mouse can beat the Apple trackpad, IMHO.
I second that. When working on Vaio I always connect my wireless mouse, when my MacBook was new I connected it twice but was not comfortable with it , Now fingers work like scissors on MacBook trackpad!!

DARK LORD said:
Why not term the MB(P) with a TFT ?
What did you mean by this!! On this note I'd like to tell you guys, some of you may have noticed, LCD screen of MacBook doesn't have a good viewing angle. IMHO Vaio has the best viewing angle.

getpriyanth

Broken In
I am really frustrated with using a laptop as my main machine. the ergonomics of a laptop on a table are really really wrong. I think Its about time I got a proper desktop computer.

I've been experiencing a lot of neck strain and back strain lately. because i have to hunch or look down to see the screen. if I had a desktop, the screen would be at eye level.

none of you realize this? or even think about it?

The thing is in desktop keyboard is well below your chest... and ur head is almost vertical....

but in laptops in order have keyboard at comfortable position ie., below chest you got to keep ur head slightly inclined.... so it starts giving pains.....

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Well, most executives / developers / designers I know have a system where they do not have a Desktop. They just use their laptops / MacBook(s)(Pros) with a large TFT and a Kbd/Mouse which acts as their desktop.

And that's what I suggested. If viewing angle / being confortable is his only grudge, he could very well buy a good TFT to go along with his book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone recommend me a good GTD app. ( Currently using Things )

goobimama

 Macboy
The thing with laptops is, if the keyboard is at the right height, the screen is down. And if the screen is at the right height, the keyboard is a little too high. For use on long periods, I'd say a laptop+wireless keyboard (the bluetooth apple keyboard is simply amazing).

I'd agree that the Macbook's display is not the best (it's good, but lacks contrast and such), but I have yet to see another laptop display as solid as the Macbook Pro. That one is a beauty.

The 20" iMac also has a sub-par display (the new one that is, yeah, grapes are sour). Poor viewing angles among others. The 24" has a really good one though.

The trackpad of apple laptops is something to die for. Oh I just can't work with regular laptops anymore. The surface is smooth and oily, and the pointer is jumpy, that is, if you can find your way through the thousands of buttons surrounding it.

@Darky: the Omnigroup has a GTD app that's supposed to be really good. I'm satisfied with things though.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Someone recommend me a good GTD app. ( Currently using Things )
I also use Things, but I've this Task Paper also installed.

Task Paper is so simple, like you're using a paper and a pen. I kinda use Things for long term GTD (like my future blog post ideas, new year resoultions, track the progress in any learning a new coding lang, etc) and Task Paper for short term GTD (like the things I need to do tomorrow, things I need to study/prepare for an exam, etc..)

Got to try iGTK and Omnifocus.

Tried the online based GTK like Remember the Milk, GMail, Toododo and I didn't find them as good as a paper/pen or other GTK apps.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
There is this programme on NDTV Profit called Gadget Guru. This time around they have shown CES show and guess what , next week we have Mac World Expo on it. Watch is on this friday 8:30pm, sunday 12 noon.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
For those who didn't know, here's a little feature of iTunes I noticed today that was a great help when I reorganised my library and moved it around here and there.

If you happen to have a well-tagged library (a rarity if ever there was one) and an iTunes Store account, then you can just go to 'Advanced >> Get Album Artwork' and iTunes will fetch the artwork for all the songs that don't have it. Awesome feature!

Also, did you guys know that Apple actually has an iTunes Essential on Bollywood: Hip Hits?

*a1.phobos.apple.com/r10/Features/45/40/7d/dj.mbvctnup.170x170-75.jpg

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
So are you finally using MarsEdit 2.1?

I love Shawn Blanc's reviews btw... he's good.

Yeh... found it and totally love it.

-------------------------------------------------

So did anyone come across this funny incident ? :p
*www.flickr.com/photos/preshit/2240826673/

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
So did anyone come across this funny incident ? :p
*www.flickr.com/photos/preshit/2240826673/
I was playing around with MarsEdit (better than Ecto, IMHFO) and the buttons were confusing. :( Sucks. And we've a Flickr photo to remember the incident. Leason learnt the hard way.

Darky, a 404 for your Post Count! :twisted:

An attack on the Mac Community. Spartans - prepare for the battle...
praka123 said:
^mac users care only for eyecandy and mac applications.they dont know what is going on in their system I'll say mac users dont know anything reg their system other than boasting the s/w and eyecandy !
Don't hijack that thread. Link to that post.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
So that people buy the iPod touch too. It's called business.

A 32GB iPhone would have been rocking though. :(

Top Bottom