The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

d

Journeyman
Re: Macworld Conference and Expo 2008

oh noooooooo!!!!!

no optical drive for the macbook air. more importantly.. no dedicated graphics circuitry. :( means me still has to get the macbook pro.

coming to that!! no penryn yet.. no blu-ray drive... :( :( bittersweet keynote this year. hopefully penryn'll come out before i get my notebook sometime june..

goobimama

 Macboy

Hey! I'm guessing Axiotron or whoever will heave a sigh of relief! Their modbook didn't exactly go down the drain...

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

nope goobi... its not intended to be a companion laptop.

macbook air is an epic fail. period.

goobimama

 Macboy

@D: You seriously expected it to have graphics horsepower of a Macbook Pro? There's no way an Ultraslim laptop can compete with a desktop replacement... No optical drive is completely acceptable in my opinion. I hardly use my Optical drive these days.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Even EEE PC is better. Goobi, do you seriously expect someone to buy a Macbook/Macbook pro for $2000 & then buy another Macbook Air for $2100 (Atleast) as a companion notebook?

If someone has a notebook already, like Macbook pro, then why would he need to buy another one. Can't he used MBP already for all his tasks already.

They are charging $1800, & you are expected to pay at least for these..

1) $99 for external Optical drive.

2) $249 for Apple Care

3) Some sort of Headphone, I will just add the price of my Philips HP 250 headphones, $22

4) A USB Hub, let's say $25 on newegg.

5) Apple USB to Lan Adapter for $29

Gr8...does this justifies as a companion laptop? Companion laptops are supposed to be like Asus EEE PC or Cloud PC or whatever costing less then $500, not $ 1800. If someone buys this for $1800 then one thing for sure, he won't use it as companion laptop.

Apple just wanted to jump into Ultra Portable laptop after looking at OLPC XO & Asus EEE PC, & they did...but compromised on so much. Macbook Air can only be used in Perfect Apple world where WiFi is everywhere, Optical disks no longer exist, & all software & digital media is distributed only online through iTunes....unforunately such Perfect Apple world doesn't exist.

goobimama

 Macboy

Companion laptop matlab, Mac Pro ghar mein, but when you want to go around on the place, you take your Macbook Air. Photographers, journalists and many other professionals don't need DVD drives, headphones and all ethernet while on the move. Especially since a lot of places have now gone Wifi (it is a lot more evident in the States though). So if you need to access a DVD, you come home, slide the DVD in your other computer (PC or Mac) and access it. Wifi seems to be the way to go for a ultra portable.

However like I said:
- Ethernet should have been included.
- Two USB ports
- A user replaceable battery

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
No optical drive is completely acceptable in my opinion. I hardly use my Optical drive these days.

That only u, not many others. Optical disks are still the cheapest way to backup & distribute date these days. Nothing can be a DVD which provides 4.5 GB of Space & costs only Rs 15.

Guess what, despite of costing $1800, Macbook Air comes without iWork....what the hell r they charging so much money for...here is a minimum config of Macbook air i just made. These r with bare necessities...let me know if I can remove anyone of the components.

*img112.imageshack.us/img112/2328/19121240lh5.jpg

Really, if Apple knows how to design a good hardware like Macbook Air, then Dell, Sony, HP, Microsoft know how to make money out of those by extanding the capability even further then Apple

Companion laptop matlab, Mac Pro ghar mein, but when you want to go around on the place, you take your Macbook Air. Photographers, journalists and many other professionals don't need DVD drives, headphones and all ethernet while on the move.

Lolz...let's disect this. If I have a MacPro at home, then obviously everything I do in the "Pro" Machine cannot be done in Macbook Air due to low power like a lower end CPU etc.

If someone is a photographer or jounralist, then instead of buying a Mac pro for these tasks at home & then another Macbook Air when going outside, wouldn't it be more logical to buy a High end Macbook Pro instead...

Goobi, Apple released it cos they wanted to release it...they knew it won't sale much anyway...

Unless someone is filthy rich who wants to pay Rs 1.5 lakh on a laptop just cos it is white in colour...anyone with proper sense & logic will prefer to buy an High End Macbook pro, instead of a Mac Pro & Macbook air....let me explain the cost here...

A high end Macbook Pro config which I just configured on Apple site including everything necessary. This does not includes the additional accessories such as bag or external HD etc. Costs $2927....

*img166.imageshack.us/img166/7710/snag0000ft1.jpg
A Mac Pro configured, costing $3726

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/2672/snag0001ku5.jpg

Lolz...only Richi Rich can buy a Mac Pro for home use & Macbook Air for outside use who is also dumb & has no logical ability.

Last edited:

CINTEL ENTRINO

Loading . . . please d'nt

have a doubt... in this pic what does RIM stand for... Reliance India Mobile.. !? :D

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/01/dsc_0143.jpg

goobimama

 Macboy

Array bhaiyyu, Desktop matlab iMac, PC sab kuch. Is it so difficult a concept to understand? It's not something that everyone is going to buy cause that cost/form factor doesn't go well with a lot of applications. But there are a lot of people who do need a lightweight portable to extend their desktop or even large laptop. A lot of people who own notebooks/want to own notebooks already have a desktop. This is a perfect companion to go with that. That basically takes care of the optical drive question.

Take me as a perfect example. I have an iMac which I find plenty resourceful. If I'm on the move, I don't need all that horsepower. I would only need some juice to maybe do some final touches and such. Maybe do a presentation, or transfer pictures. But I do need that portability. The iBook, is showing signs of age. I look at the present macbook which makes the iBook look like it's from the stone ages. It's also pretty heavy to carry on longer distances. Now if this were the machine that was available at the time of me making a laptop decision, I would most certainly go for this one (the Air). I don't need the power of a Macbook Pro, and the Macbook, is almost the same as the iBook. Macbook Air makes perfect sense for me (but I will refrain from buying it. I will refrain from buying it.)

If I need to install something, I just pop in a disc in my iMac, or any of the PCs in the office (they're all on a wireless router). Going wireless in a dorm room or some place else is not even a big deal. Most people just find it sort of an 'extra expense' for making a room wireless. But when it comes in such a form factor, that extra expense doesn't seem extra anymore.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
But there are a lot of people who do need a lightweight portable to extend their desktop or even large laptop

Still, does it makes a logical sense for someone to pay more & get an underpower sub-notebook as an alternative to there desktop when you can pay less & buy a more powerful Macbook pro.

A lot of people who own notebooks/want to own notebooks already have a desktop. This is a perfect companion to go with that. That basically takes care of the optical drive question.

So far, only Macboys seem to want it.
If I need to install something, I just pop in a disc in my iMac, or any of the PCs in the office (they're all on a wireless router). Going wireless in a dorm room or some place else is not even a big deal. Most people just find it sort of an 'extra expense' for making a room wireless. But when it comes in such a form factor, that extra expense doesn't seem extra anymore.

So you need another computer to install applications, good luck with that.

goobimama

 Macboy

Applications come on CDs? Most of the apps are downloaded from where you buy the serial key (in an ideal world). Otherwise, how often do you install Adobe Suite, Office, or iLife? It's just an initial thing.

And USB flash drives will more than make up for the occasional data transferring that's required. I do feel that they should have included a Firewire port though, since then you could just sort of 'dock' your macbook to an iMac or something...

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
hey people,

can we expect multitouch trackpad for us in coming updates of leopard (i mean for MACBOOK's and PRO's) or does it need a hardware update too......

I have asked on some videos posted by engaget and gizmodo to see what version of Leopard the macbook air on display there are running. I REALLY hope 10.5.2 brings this to all mac laptops.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Applications come on CDs? Most of the apps are downloaded from where you buy the serial key (in an ideal world). Otherwise, how often do you install Adobe Suite, Office, or iLife? It's just an initial thing.

This even I agree & this is aplicable to the Mac usage scenario whre people usually get software via internet only.

Now arya & goobi, plz don't say "Apple innovated with Remote Disc & it's first of it's type ever in computers"...I have a gr8 answer already waiting.

Also don't say "Intel made a smaller CPU just for Apple" or "Apple made intel innovate"...another answer waiting then....something which has to do with Intel X86 platform for mobile phones.

More flaws in Macbook Air...

Remote Disk comes on the install DVD -- ironically, Apple expects you to carry around a DVD to install so you can access someone else's DVD drive. Righty-o. Can't they give it as a download??? It's just a version of MacDrive 7 for Windows in case of Windows.

The MacBook Air superdrive needs special hardware in the MBA to work -- Apple wouldn't tell us if any other devices will be able to use the thing, but we imagine the ~500mA USB outputs won't be enough.

The speaker is mono only (not stereo), so your audio output will suffer a bit. The audio comes out of the keyboard holes in the right side, and it sounds a little funny.

MacBook Air battery replacements: $129, free install!

So if I run out of battery in my car, I can't even insert a spare battery like I can in case of a Macbook/pro. Too much for "using it outside as compliment" notebook.

just saw the whole keynote on Quicktime, I love my BSNL Dataone connection which automatically increses it's speed in night (it's 256 kbps constant unlimited":D

*img292.imageshack.us/img292/706/macworld2008js1.th.jpg

ah! arya is trying to pwn me with a big reply...will read it tomorrow after noon, going to jog in 1 hr.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

To everyone cribbing about a lacking ethernet port, have any of you seen an ethernet port lately? It's larger than the entire width of the MacBook Air. Same goes for the optical drive.

It is supposed to be a companion notebook for people who already have a Mac in their house. It's for the high end market, not the medium or low end market. You cannot buy it as your primary notebook.

Ultra-portables occupy a special niche in the notebook market and Apple has firmly placed itself right on top of all the contenders in one fell swoop. It is thinner and lighter than every notebook in the world and yet comes with a 13.3-inch screen, full fledged backlit keyboard, 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, USB 2.0, 80GB HD, ambient light sensor, multi-touch trackpad, built-in mic and iSight, a MagSafe power connecter, etc. for about Rs. 85,000-90,000.

What else could a guy ask for in an ultra-portable! For me, the answer is nothing. This notebook is everything I could've dreamed of and then some. Whenever it comes to India, I'm going to pounce upon this baby. :D

For reading up on all the Macworld related news, visit this thread. Enjoy! :)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer

MacBook Air looks awesome. The lack of optical drives isn't much of a big deal. Many ultra-portable laptops lack a built-in optical drive, and they aren't even as thin as Air. Plus you can get the optional drive if you really need to. For the target audience, the MacBook Air is a perfect product. People who can afford such expensive product will definitely have another desktop or laptop with them. So for the target audience, the Air has no real weakness.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

not sure but if thats true then grudgy im sorry to say but looks like ur PWNED
Wow man! Can't you understand simple English? $3090 is with the 64GB SSD memory. Even then it's cheaper than Sony.

Whatever be the case, this is Apple dude. There are a lot of Apple fans who will never go back to Windows again.

they havnt given the 5G users 5.5G updates nor have the 5.5G users got 6G updates and now this iPod TOuch users need to pay $20 for 5 apps :x wtf ... thats a great way to treat ur customers ... charge them for applications
Did you forget the free iPhone and Apple TV Take 2 free updates? Apple TV got new features and new UI too.

kumarmohit

Technomancer

Without any optical drive how can I install windows on the air? While bootcamp might take care of half the part, the half where windows is in charge might not be so great after all.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

considering the fat that i think both the sony vaio and this mba i feel are pure money waste with no value for money for the obvious lacking they which cannot replace a normal notebook i however like this little thing that apple does which i often wonder why doesnt hp or compaq or sony do

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/01/macbook-air-video-hands.jpg the glowing apple

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

To everyone cribbing about a lacking ethernet port, have any of you seen an ethernet port lately? It's larger than the entire width of the MacBook Air. Same goes for the optical drive.

What else could a guy ask for in an ultra-portable! For me, the answer is nothing. This notebook is everything I could've dreamed of and then some. Whenever it comes to India, I'm going to pounce upon this baby. :D

WiFi isn't everywhere, & you can not justify the lack of an ethernet port & only one USB 2.0 port....no matter how big macboy u r & how much u r in love with Jobs.

Instead of carrying around 2 devices (Macbook Air & Optical Drive), a sane person will buy Macbook classic instead.Not sure about insane peoples...

MacBook Air looks awesome. The lack of optical drives isn't much of a big deal. Many ultra-portable laptops lack a built-in optical drive, and they aren't even as thin as Air. Plus you can get the optional drive if you really need to. For the target audience, the MacBook Air is a perfect product. People who can afford such expensive product will definitely have another desktop or laptop with them. So for the target audience, the Air has no real weakness.

Lack of Optical drive is justified, but charging about $400 more over competitive Ultra Portable just cos of thinness is only Apple's way,...the least they could have done is to bundle the optical drive & iLife 08 in the cost of $1800. This is where Apple is extorting money, other then asking the users to pay for iPod touch update.

Apple TV got new features and new UI too.

Few days back Zune 1.0 also got new features & new UI *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

Without any optical drive how can I install windows on the air?

If you want to install Windows on it, or reinstall Mac OS X then make sure you have the external CD drive for MBA. (that's Macbook Air not Masters in Business Administration *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/10.gif).

which i often wonder why doesnt hp or compaq or sony do

Simple, PC companies go after mass market with Sane people.

Top Bottom