The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

Pathik

Google Bot
Re: Macworld Conference and Expo 2008

have a doubt... in this pic what does RIM stand for... Reliance India Mobile.. !? :D

*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/01/dsc_0143.jpg
Research In Motion. Blackberry wale log.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

WiFi isn't everywhere, & you can not justify the lack of an ethernet port & only one USB 2.0 port....no matter how big macboy u r & how much u r in love with Jobs.
air is not meant for india and will not genereate as much revenues as the iphone did, the iphone was still a mass product the air isnt as a productivity tool its pretty bad and usability is still a big :?: what are u gonna use it for?
Instead of carrying around 2 devices (Macbook Air & Optical Drive), a sane person will buy Macbook classic instead.
exactly
Few days back Zune 1.0 also got new features & new UI
i dont know what grudgy was trying to prove with that statement of his
Simple, PC companies go after mass market with Sane people.
and vice versa ... sane people go for PCs

goobimama

 Macboy

Instead of carrying around 2 devices (Macbook Air & Optical Drive), a sane person will buy Macbook classic instead.Not sure about insane peoples...
I still don't get your fixation for an optical drive. You don't need an optical drive while on the move. And when you're home, you can use your other mac's optical drive.

Lack of Optical drive is justified, but charging about $400 more over competitive Ultra Portable just cos of thinness is only Apple's way
You realise the amount of custom silicon that has gone into this thing? Intel has not done this proccy as a wide market thing. The motherboard is custom. That hard drive is a really tiny one. With that much of miniaturization, things cost a lot more. A question though, iLife doesn't come bundled with this thing?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

this just in from engadget who were trying out the movie rentals:
engadget said:
how come our Video tab looks nothing like Steve's? Oh right, the rental transfers to iPods are for current generation "iPod classic, iPod nano with video and iPod touch models" only. Where's the firmware love apple?
err ... grudgy reading this :rolleyes: i hope u get my point abt how apple treats its customers ;)

goobimama

 Macboy

Yep. They are seemingly getting worse at it as days go by. Is Apple becoming the new MS?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Trackpads on all Apple notebooks are already capable of multi-touch. It just needs a software upgrade and, in all probability, Leopard v10.5.2 will bring those capabilities to all Apple notebooks.

However, I'm not very excited about that. "Multi-touch" is just the branding. The MacBook Air's trackpad does not do much extra. We already have the major features of that trackpad on ours too.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

Guys, you're missing the whole point of MacBook Air. It's not for people who want to have a desktop replacement or a high end PC to do graphics, game, etc..

Have you people seen any busy International Airport? In Dubai, atleast 1 in every 10 souls have a laptop. They are mostly Businessmen or Students. For them this is perfect. My Boss had a Dell 12" which he got for Dhs 7,500+ (Rs 83,000). His peers all have a 12"/13" laptop. They travel a LOT. Atleast for a week in a month, they are out of Dubai.

Even inside the flight (Emirates) I've seen many people with laptop, watching movies, listening songs or just doing something. Would it be comfortable with a 14"/15" laptop? It would be a lot inconvient in any economy class seat.

goobimama

 Macboy
Well you hope and pray that those features are there on the 10.5.2. You never know, they might even charge $20 for it.

Although, a lot of people are simply amazed by the multi-touch features of the Macbook Air trackpad. Well, I guess seeing is believing...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Even inside the flight (Emirates) I've seen many people with laptop, watching movies, listening songs or just doing something. Would it be comfortable with a 14"/15" laptop? It would be a lot inconvient in any economy class seat.
80GB hdd with no optical drive .... lets c how many movies i can watch :rolleyes:

goobimama

 Macboy

Yeah. Like your ultra powerful laptop is going to last more than an hour watching movies via the optical drive.

I just want to see how light the thing is. From what I hear, it is almost too light...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Things where the MBA completely whacks all competing ultra-portable right where it hurts:
01. A 13.3" screen (1280x800).
02. A full backlit keyboard with 78 keys and ambient light sensor.
03. A Core 2 Duo processor.
04. Wi-Fi 802.11n.
05. A MagSafe power adapter.
06. The sheer size of the device.
07. Built-in videoconferencing.
08. 2GB RAM standard.
09. Five hours of battery life.
10. The remote optical drive feature.
11. Capability to run Mac OS X.

The only thing where some of the other ultra-portables beat it:
Price.

Guess which one is the king after all! Ha! Ha! :D

kumarmohit

Technomancer

If you want to install Windows on it, or reinstall Mac OS X then make sure you have the external CD drive for MBA. (that's Macbook Air not Masters in Business Administration )

Might as well buy the high end nano for that much money, the car I mean:)

Its going to be expensive as hell when (and if) it comes to India

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

There's no "if". It is going to come to India, albeit after three months or so.

drgrudge

80GB hdd with no optical drive .... lets c how many movies i can watch :rolleyes:
Dude. Are you acting smart now?

Dubai to Chennai flight is 4 hours. Even after food and stuffs, you might have some 2.5 hrs. How much movies can you see?

My MBP with 15" screen with 20% brightness can last over 4 hours and if it's movies, then 2.5hrs-3hrs which is more than enough to watch a movie. Also the lights will be out/dim in the flight, so you'll be reducing the brightness so I guess 2.5 hrs and movies should not be an issue. Most of the flights in the First Class/Business Class have charger point as well.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

no, just being rational; which a trying to be fanboy cant ;)

however coming back t o the topic:

Air Accessories:

Here's the beef on the $99 Superdrive:

• Slot-loading
  • Built-in short USB cord
  • Works with DVD±R DL, DVD±RW, CD-R/RW
  • Slightly bigger than a CD case at 5.47 x 5.47 x 0.67 inches
  • 1.09 lbs
*gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/01/apple-mbair-superdrive-1.jpg *gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/01/apple-mbair-superdrive-3.jpg

The $29 Ethernet adaptor specs:

• RJ-45 socket for 10/100BASE-T Ethernet
  • Built-in 4.6 in USB cord
  • Bus-powered USB 2.0
*gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/01/mummy.jpg

PS: the least the baldy cud have done is given the $29 ethernet port free with the Air ... but hey this is apple cant say anything ;)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

I still don't get your fixation for an optical drive. You don't need an optical drive while on the move. And when you're home, you can use your other mac's optical drive.

Goobi "you" don't need an optical drive while on the move, I might, Praka might, iMav might

You realise the amount of custom silicon that has gone into this thing? Intel has not done this proccy as a wide market thing.

Lolz...goobi, if you had any idea about how the technology market works, then you would have known that this is simply the first step in Intel Mobile Phone platform, the System on chip type, in which CPU, chipset & memory are on teh same die.

A question though, iLife doesn't come bundled with this thing?

iWork doesn't come bundled, you have to pay $80 more for it.

The motherboard is custom. That hard drive is a really tiny one. With that much of miniaturization, things cost a lot more

Have a look at Via Mini-ITX platform available since ages which costs like dirt.

Guys, you're missing the whole point of MacBook Air. It's not for people who want to have a desktop replacement or a high end PC to do graphics, game, etc..

Those "things" u mentioned people do on there laptop in "such" situations can be done on a UPMC or Asus EEE PC or even Mobile Phone etc. Why do we need a device worth $1800 for such "Work"

03. A Core 2 Duo processor.
04. Wi-Fi 802.11n.
07. Built-in videoconferencing.
08. 2GB RAM standard.
09. Five hours of battery life.
10. The remote optical drive feature.

Have a look at the Ultra portable from Sony, these features are already there

Dubai to Chennai flight is 4 hours. Even after food and stuffs, you might have some 2.5 hrs. How much movies can you see?

Means MBA is useless for all those who fly between cities other then dubai to chennai :D'

Last edited:

drgrudge

^^
Not only MBA, any other laptop too. :p But I think MBA will last long than any other Laptop including MBPs/MacBooks.

Basic model of Song TZ is almost 33% more than the basic price of MBA. Toshiba (I think it almost costs as much as MBA) and Dell will only be the cheaper alternative in this segment. But then, people don't buy Apple for VFM and you should buy Apple because of VFM. No point cribbing here... I'm out of this thread.