The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^ Are your iMacs now for garage sale? :D

-----

Of course Mac OS supports spanning/extension, just that the application menu is left on one of the displays, similar to start button being left on one of the displays in windows.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I know that..If you would have cared to read the posts, you would have seen that I know what is "Mirroring" and "Extension".

U did not mention it.

And Mac OS DOES support "Extension"! Just that the menu-bar is visible in either of the displays but not both.

Then it is a drawback of Mac OS X. Mac OS sux.

Doesnt work in Windows XP.
Yes it does. nVidia's nView & ATI's Hydravision does it. Donno about your iMac running Windows XP.
whats the point of having a long taskbar if start-menu and system-tray are going to be available only on one display :rolleyes:

You are just showing your ignorance. The whole taskbar stretches like I have shown in the mock up. Start menu is located at the left hand side monitor1 far left side while tray is available at right hand side's 2nd monitor's far right side.

According to your logic (applied to menu-bar of OSX), there should be two seperate task-bars on both displays, which clearly does not happen currently.

U r not getting my logic at all. The Apple bar should stretch to 2 monitors resulting in a Biiiiiiiiiig Applebar.

Pat

Beyond Smart
U did not mention it.
Start reading posts then..Just go to the last page and read MY post :rolleyes:

Yes it does. nVidia's nView & ATI's Hydravision does it. Donno about your iMac running Windows XP.
I was talking about my EEE PC for godsake. Do you understand simple english? if yes, then atleast read the posts correctly before posting. And I repeat, it does not work OOTB on my EEE PC with windows XP. nvidia/ATI utilities do not count as they do not come with the OS.

You are just showing your ignorance. The whole taskbar stretches like I have shown in the mock up. Start menu is located at the left hand side monitor1 far left side while tray is available at right hand side's 2nd monitor's far right side.
Then what did I say ? And if I am ignorant, you are a bloody fool. :mad:

^^Well you cannot argue with macbois :p It just works ! Don't ya read that ? lol

Seriously tell me..how long have you been waiting patiently reading all posts on a "Apple" thread to just post that comment ? :lol:
You know by making that comment, you have proved that the sole purpose of your existence is to jump at "macbois" at every single possible opportunity!
And I am pretty sure if you would have read gxsaurav's arguments you wouldnt have made that comment. Which makes you fall in the same category as him.

Yea, so GX coming back to your point of big taskbar, tell me:

What do I do when I am on Monitor2 and want to start IE (or any program/shortcut ) from start menu!
Also tell me, how do I change volume when I am working on monitor1!!

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^hahaha...I read this thread religiously. There is something very interesting here apart from apple :p. It just makes my day at times innumerable.

More precisely, I try to defend every fanoboi on his/her whims and beliefs. Albeit my remarks are too trite but hey it just works for everyone !

I have read both parties arguments and found that neither of them provides solution to the problem. But yeah Winblows do have an upper hand over the matter compares to fApple. But whats most remarkable is that macbois can get adjusted to the drawback deluding it as a feature not needed, hey it just works but you have to bend your fingers...lol.

Oh, am just an average joe here who is expressing his views. Sorry if I am not upto your expectations. I live a straightforward life wherein you may see me behaving like a degraded version or sometimes wiser.

Thanks

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I was talking about my EEE PC for godsake. Do you understand simple english? if yes, then atleast read the posts correctly before posting. And I repeat, it does not work OOTB on my EEE PC with windows XP. nvidia/ATI utilities do not count as they do not come with the OS.

How had it is for you to interpret what I meant. Do you know the hardware configuration of EEE PC? It has Intel GMA 945 graphics. nVidia has nView for this while ATI has Hydravision for this dual display thing. Why r u yelling at me if you are unable to use Intel GMA driver's control to span or clone your display. It does works out of the in Windows XP & EEE PC, you don't know how to do it.

Then what did I say ? And if I am ignorant, you are a bloody fool. :mad:

Personal attack #1
And I am pretty sure if you would have read gxsaurav's arguments you wouldnt have made that comment. Which makes you fall in the same category as him.
Personal Attack #2

What do I do when I am on Monitor2 and want to start IE (or any program/shortcut ) from start menu!
Also tell me, how do I change volume when I am working on monitor1!!

U move the cursor to the respective monitor

IronManForever

gxsaurav said:
Letme join in. The pics you have posted do explain what's it like in Windows.

I use spanning on windows, but I don't see how a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig taskbar would help the situation. Start Menu on one Display and 'system tray' on other, how does that help?

Apple Bar being on only one Monitor was the initial issue we were discussing, and the difficulties one would encounter when moving from one monitor to another.
As it comes out, Windows has similar issues. Say you have two windows open, 'Tabs' for both would still be in the primary display, even if the windows actually are on the second display.

gxsaurav said:
U r not getting my logic at all. The Apple bar should stretch to 2 monitors resulting in a Biiiiiiiiiig Applebar.
Again, I am not sure how THAT would help in accessing the menu from the second display. Elongating it will still leave the menus on the primary display.

Pat said:
Thats stupid on your part dude. Windows doesnt work that way. Windows does not work on the principle of hardware-and-software-from-same-manufacturer. With windows, its your responsibility to install the drivers/utilities.

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
Then it is a drawback of Mac OS X. Mac OS sux.

The whole taskbar stretches like I have shown in the mock up. Start menu is located at the left hand side monitor1 far left side while tray is available at right hand side's 2nd monitor's far right side.

1. Mac OS does not suck. There is no need for a biiiiiiig menu bar. When everything is in one place, it's easy to access. Plus, keyboard shortcuts work even if you're working on monitor 2.

2. That will not work with the dock. You probably don't want your Safari over here and your iTunes over there. It would be frustrating and hard to access. Just like the menubar, all in one place.

3. Read number 1

IronManForever

^ Mac OS does not suck. But thats what we are talking about, how comfortable or uncomfortable the approach is, and how to make it more usable for those who feel uncomfortable. Its also for a bit of awareness, I am gonna buy a bigger display for my macbook, and I need no surprises.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Thats stupid on your part dude. Windows doesnt work that way. Windows does not work on the principle of hardware-and-software-from-same-manufacturer. With windows, its your responsibility to install the drivers/utilities.

If its allowed to install utilities in windows, then why isnt Mac OS allowed to install additional utilities(dejamenu for example) to have a fair comparison ?

How had it is for you to interpret what I meant.
Yes Mr. I interpreted the way you wrote it. And you said "Donno about your iMac running Windows XP." when I had clearly mentioned I had tried it on my EEE PC! Atleast read your posts carefully before coming up with an argument :lol:

Personal attack #1
If you are allowed to call me ignorant (that too when I was making the same point as you), then I too have a right to call you a fool ;)

Personal Attack #2
Does it mean that you accept that when someone is said to be like you, it is an insult/personal-attack ? :lol:

Then in what way is it better than Mac OS + DejaMenu ?

Last edited:

IronManForever

Pat said:
If its allowed to install utilities in windows, then why isnt Mac OS allowed to install additional utilities(dejamenu for example) to have a fair comparison ?
Unlike add-on utilities like dejamenu, drivers are very essential for Windows.

I have Mac OS running on my macbook. It has all the drivers by default from Apple. Apple can bundle all required drivers because it knows what hardware its selling and what hardware it software runs on.

I then install Windows Vista via Boot Camp. More often than not, most of your hardware does not work well or not work at all. What do you do? Install the drivers given by Apple. And oops, it installed Nvidia Control Panel with a couple of other control interfaces..

So if one intends to use Windows, one should keep the drivers ready, before installing Windows itself.

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
Are you saying its ok if the utility gets accidentally installed while installing drivers for Windows but its not ok to install an add-on utility in Mac OS for the sake of having a fair comparison ?

IronManForever

gxsaurav said:
Wow. I went through this just now. Awesome I say, why could not I think of it. I never knew we could actually move a mouse cursor.

Pat said:
Are you saying its ok if the utility gets accidentally installed while installing drivers for Windows but its not ok to install an add-on utility in Mac OS for the sake of having a fair comparison ?
Whatever dude. But its not accidentally when the Boot Camp installer itself installs it all. And certainly not when it is required for the optimal functioning of your Windows installation.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Lets keep aside any third party utilities:

Now analyze the ease of use while using a Mac and Windows on dual displays.

1. Mac's application menus are in taskbar, so everytime I have to move to the display where the taskbar is. Its not comfortable everytime.

2. On windows I have application menu integrated into each individual apps instead of a single taskbar. So comparatively it is comfortable to a point.

Coming to third party apps:

1. dejamenu works but it just extend to the necessity outlined previously in windows point no. 2.

2. Windows while go a little further with taskbar spanning to other display. But that too is not promising but atleast something is better than nothing.

PS: I use neither Mac nor Windows now. So by far I have tried to remain objective in my opinion. Comparatively winblows hav an upper hand over fApple here.

yash

I draw every day
this is a screenshot of photoshop on windows. I'm sure you've seen this before. Let me point out what's happening. the window of the image I'm working on, is in monitor 1. and the menubar is in the photoshop window, on monitor 2.
*img7.imageshack.us/img7/2583/style3wl7.th.jpg
very mac-like, don't you think? end of discussion.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^but I use GIMP :D
*img403.imageshack.us/img403/7899/200902191930001280x960sgs1.th.jpg

And there are various other apps too, seems like discussion has got refreshed !

yash

I draw every day
@ichi what OS is that?

and here's adobe photoshop lightroom 2 in dual monitor setup in windows.

*flickr.com/photos/cfimages/2384309736/sizes/o/

notice menu bar in only one window. boo hoo.

Top Bottom