The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
That crackling sound is only with quicktime as VLC has no issues except random crashes,sound is awesome with VLC. It's just that WMP is far better!

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
@Sunny

When you open .mkv files with QTP, it takes some time to load the file like say 5-10 mins. If you closely observe the slidebar of QTP when you open .mkv file, you'll see a light progress bar filling up. Just wait till that progress bar fill up the slide bar. Once the progress bar is filled up you can press cmd+F and enjoy your HD movie. If you don't wait till QTP loads the mkv file and start playing it you get a farty sound!! BTW TDK is awesome and should be watched in HD.

As for your problem with VLC, there is this particular version of VLC that is extremely crash prone,so avoid it. I don't know what the last version is at present but I have 0.9.4 which is really good. And unlike QTP, VLC doesn't demand you to wait till you load the mkv file.

@Ironman

Can you explain your problem more clearly ?? Are you sure your DVD file is not corrupt ??

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^ I do not believe that a corrupt DVD will mess up with the whole OS sound.

Earlier, when it messed up, no sound. Today morning, weird amplified sounds, high treble, noisy.

Let me research more before anything else.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
MacBooks could see custom four-finger gestures
You find such interesting things when you dig through the dark recesses of your file structure: hopes, dreams, ancient artifacts of great power, and even the occasional piece of unimplemented software. A blogger over at MyAppleGuide discovered, secreted away in OS X’s Trackpad pane, an interface that would allow users of multitouch-capable trackpads—such as those on the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros—to define their own four-finger gestures.

The file’s a .nib, which just means that it’s simply the interface part of the equation—there’s no code hooked up to it. But I’ve verified it for myself, and if you have a multitouch-capable Mac, you can find the same file at /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane/Contents/Resources/ English.lproj/FourFingerSwipeGesture.nib (whew).

Currently, the multitouch trackpad’s four-finger gestures are hard-coded: up shows the desktop, down triggers Expose, and swiping horizontally brings up the the Application Switcher. The unused interface would have allowed for several other functions, including switching between Spaces and opening Dashboard.

Personally, I’d love the opportunity to remap these gestures. When I first started using the new MacBook, I constantly wanted to swipe up for expose, and down for showing the desktop, and while I’ve largely retrained myself at this point, I still almost never use the side-to-side application switching gesture, preferring instead to go for the keyboard equivalent of command-tab.

So, it looks like the configurable gestures may be coming in a future update, although perhaps Apple decided not to go in this direction just to keep it all standardized. My hope is for the former.

Link

------

Mac Mini still bundling iLife 08? This Apple site says so.

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
Oh, Azeem, I have a correction about the second display in desktop extension mode. The menu bar is only on one of the screens. Which is very annoying when trying to use a program (on the display without the menubar) where you'd go to the menubar again and again for options.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^What are you saying ?? Do you mean that when in desktop extension mode, if I drag Safari window to the ext monitor there won't be a menu bar for Safari ?? I really don't think that would be the case!! Did you check this thing ??

goobimama

 Macboy
Yep. The menubar and dock is only on one screen (whichever one you choose). Geez, have you'll never worked with dual displays before?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yeah exactly, you can have macbar on one display at a time...lol...but i can count it as a clean desktop

Imagine moving to first display to access menu of an application running in second display.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
yeah... that's kind of a big issue.. i wonder how the people who use Photoshop on dual screens manage it on Mac?

Pat

Beyond Smart
u mean to say that he Dock & menu bar do not expand to the seconds monitor like they do on Windows?

What dock and menu-bar in Windows are you talking about ? There is no Dock in windows AFAIK and I hope you know the difference between menu-bar implementation in windows and Mac!

I found an alternative for anyone who might be interested..Ofcourse, its just a work-around..

*homepage.mac.com/khsu/DejaMenu/DejaMenu.html

Yep. The menubar and dock is only on one screen (whichever one you choose). Geez, have you'll never worked with dual displays before?

I can see the dock on both screens when I connect my Macbook to my TV. Are you sure ?

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
yeah, dejaMenu has been a workaround for quite some time now. But I love that some applications have implemented their own method of getting the menu in the application itself. Like in Maya there's a keyboard shortcut and the menu appears around your mouse pointer. There are customizable toolbars in corel painter X and you can position them wherever you want. (oh, u can even put menu items in those toolbars. that's what makes it so special)

goobimama

 Macboy
Look here yo-yos. First of all, even in Windows, the taskbar stays in one screen. It's only because the menus are held within the windows that they are carried to whichever monitor you choose it to be.

Second, if you haven't used a dual display in OS X, there's no point talking. Travelling from one display to the other is not a big pain as you might think it is. Give the pointer some decent acceleration and it's all quick and easy. Ten minutes and you're used to it. Besides, keyboard shortcuts are the way to go anyway.

Also, why would you put Photoshop, your main working app on your secondary display? Put it in the primary workspace and put stuff like Safari and Mail in the other one. In fact, I wonder how Photoshop works on a PC dual display setup. All the windows are contained in one frame. So what if you want one photoshop document in each workspace? Stretch the background to fill both of them?

Not saying the Mac dual display setup is perfect, it does have some bugs (Front Row is a pain), but saying 'it sucks' even though you haven't used it is folly.

I'll be adding a 24" display to extend my Mac soon. Gonna be awesome. Although it will be weird using the iMac as a secondary display. Too weird.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
What dock and menu-bar in Windows are you talking about ? There is no Dock in windows AFAIK and I hope you know the difference between menu-bar implementation in windows and Mac!

The menu bar in each application & the windows taskbar

I can see the dock on both screens when I connect my Macbook to my TV. Are you sure ?

There are 2 methods of using dual monitor.

1) Cloning : What is visible on screen is also visible on screen 2. The both display same thing.
2) Spaning : The display stretches to second monitor. Imagine you have a big monitor after combining 2 small monitors then how will the display look like? This is spanning.

From what I see, Mac OS dosn't support spanning.

Look here yo-yos. First of all, even in Windows, the taskbar stays in one screen. It's only because the menus are held within the windows that they are carried to whichever monitor you choose it to be.

No, wrong. Task bar stretches to the 2nd monitor. It becomes a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig task bar.

Travelling from one display to the other is not a big pain as you might think it is.

Mac OS X is limiting the way I want to work. It sux then. Period.

. In fact, I wonder how Photoshop works on a PC dual display setup. All the windows are contained in one frame. So what if you want one photoshop document in each workspace? Stretch the background to fill both of them?

Try it yourself with 2 monitors. I don't have 2 monitors in my office so I m showing u a rough mockup of what I mean. This I created in photoshop just to give u an idea of what it is like. Photoshop can be used in Dual monitors in the following 3 ways. The red line represents monitor seem.

The main Photoshop windows remains on Monitor 1 & the toolbars shift to the 2nd monitor. This way I get full 1440X900 resolution of the first monitor just for the image.

*img6.imageshack.us/img6/2883/style1gf5.th.jpg

The maximized Photoshop Windows spans on both the display. It becomes one big monitor.

*img518.imageshack.us/img518/8937/style2ba8.th.jpg

The Photoshop Document stays on monitor 1 while the main photoshop Window is on 2nd monitor.

*img7.imageshack.us/img7/2583/style3wl7.th.jpg

Do u see that in all the conditions, the taskbar stretches to the 2nd monitor. In Windows we can do this, as well as use it in such a way that the taskbar remains on monitor 1 while monitor 2 has nothing but the window, just like Mac OS X. Windows approach of using multiple monitors is clearly better.

The best usable example is when you are working on Adobe premiere or Dreamweaver. You can have the viewport on 2nd monitor showing the video or webpage while on first monitor u can have the timeline or HTML code view.

Pat

Beyond Smart
There are 2 methods of using dual monitor.

1) Cloning : What is visible on screen is also visible on screen 2. The both display same thing.
2) Spaning : The display stretches to second monitor. Imagine you have a big monitor after combining 2 small monitors then how will the display look like? This is spanning.

From what I see, Mac OS dosn't support spanning.
I know that..If you would have cared to read the posts, you would have seen that I know what is "Mirroring" and "Extension". :rolleyes:
And Mac OS DOES support "Extension"! Just that the menu-bar is visible in either of the displays but not both.

No, wrong. Task bar stretches to the 2nd monitor. It becomes a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig task bar.
Doesnt work in Windows XP. Tried it when I connected my EEE PC to my LCD. Never tried it under vista! And in any case, whats the point of having a long taskbar if start-menu and system-tray are going to be available only on one display :rolleyes:

According to your logic (applied to menu-bar of OSX), there should be two seperate task-bars on both displays, which clearly does not happen currently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom