The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^ Common, not that! I shouldnt be wrong if I say you know a lot more about technology than I do BTW. And your age must speak of a higher IQ (Im just 18).. uh, i wrote 18 and closed paranthesis.. the damn forum put that smiley!

There are friends who have higher IQ than me but are tech noobs. So I should say, IQ and technological knowledge have little in common. :p

--------------------

I'm with you, Macbooks have the best trackpads among laptops, and it got even better with the current ones! But, the OS handles trackpads and normal mice differently, as far as I know.

The thing is about mouse acceleration not scrolling. And nothing to do with a trackpad.

A normal desktop mouse has been indispensable for me, since long. I have used my dad's lappy alot and felt myself cramped with the trackpad. And trackpad, however good it is, cannot replace a mouse when it concerns me. as well as many people I have known.

And I am having a hard time getting accustomed to the changed mouse acceleration. I hope it goes away with time, but its been long enough. goobi said I'm paying too much attention. Maybe thats what it is.

A modified driver, Steermouse has made it easier to traverse distances, but less accurate. There is something even it cant change.

Thats what it is, I have no complains from the OS. I have been accepting the differences I have come across. Stop saying that(im not trying, paying attention, whatever) man! It hurts! :D

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^LOL!! Don't take anything seriously, the folks here are a bit cynical ;-)
And now some flashbacks of a fool(me):
My first laptop was Vaio VGN-FS38GP around 3 years ago. I was a mouse addict so switching to a portable computer was like hell. I purchased a wireless mouse( of brand Microsoft!!) and was happy to use it with my Notebook. Last October I got MacBook. This was not a choice it was a chance, my friend gifted me the MacBook.

Now, how I went on to become a Mac Convert/Addict is a different story and I can't thank enough the guys who pushed me into Macs... the Milinds, the Aayushs, the Ashwins and few others. Thats a diff story. Coming back to the mouse, like I said I was a mouse addict and wanted to use my MS wireless mouse on MacBook. There were some problems :
The first problem was, I am a right handed and my MacBook has its only 2 USB ports to the left, so I had to connect the usb dongle to the left. This setup wasn't passing the signal properly, so I purchased a usb extension wire. This was a temporary solution as the second problem emerged only moments later.

This my dear is a 'rags to riches' story of a Slumdog!!

Yes! the devil of mouse acceleration, I had to face it too. It was horrible how the mouse responded. Before I could look for solutions, I thought what good is a portable computer if I had to carry the mouse everywhere with it. I gave up the idea of mouse and tried to adapt to the trackpad and like everything about Macs, the trackpad too proved perfect.

Hope you liked this true story. :)

dinesh72

Journeyman
it was painful night yesterday. my imac just refused to start!! i kept getting message "you need to restart blah blah" i tried all sorts like reboot using C, using X, using Option, using Command + Option + P + R but in vain!! Even tried backing up using time machine(install disk - disk utility) but imac never found my back ups. Couldn't wait to post my problem here 'cos i was too excited to have my imac down!! anyway i did new install and system is now up and running.
Well after booting, i tried backing up from time machine but i kept getting errors. i was trying to save downloading all updates again!!!! may be we need a detailed post here as to do what in such cases from our experts.

recently i'd updated quicktime,ilife'08 etc

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
it was painful night yesterday. my imac just refused to start!! i kept getting message "you need to restart blah blah" i tried all sorts like reboot using C, using X, using Option, using Command + Option + P + R but in vain!! Even tried backing up using time machine(install disk - disk utility) but imac never found my back ups. Couldn't wait to post my problem here 'cos i was too excited to have my imac down!! anyway i did new install and system is now up and running.
Well after booting, i tried backing up from time machine but i kept getting errors. i was trying to save downloading all updates again!!!! may be we need a detailed post here as to do what in such cases from our experts.

recently i'd updated quicktime,ilife'08 etc
Lol...I can feel the excitement :D Is't it amazing to have a software which you can use to timely crash your system and then you get another lovely chance to reinstall again :cool:

I gave up the idea of mouse and tried to adapt to the trackpad and like everything about Macs, the trackpad too proved perfect.

Hope you liked this true story. :)
You are taking a basic idea too far. Give a man only bow and arrow, he will make a better use of it. Even amateurs laced with guns will fail in front of him.

It's human nature, the art of getting used to when they think it's the only option.

Last edited:

IronManForever

@ Jamesbond007
Yeah, the ports on the left are odd, I didn't complain thinking maybe someone big at Apple is lefty? Steve? Ive? Tribute to Woz? or insult to Bill Gates who's righty? :lol:

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I have this non-admin user account setup on my MacBook for my younger bro who likes to use my MacBook every now and then. For the last week he's been complaining that he was unable to sign in Yahoo Messenger, yahoomail and gmail. Today, I logged into the non-admin acc to check if everything is right. I had to face the same problem.

*img222.imageshack.us/img222/8638/picture1qg9.png

I tried 'Empty Cache' and 'Reset Safari' but no use. I checked all the settings and still couldn't get past this problem. My admin acc that I always use is working fine. I deleted this non-admin acc and created a new non-admin acc ..... still the problem persists!!
Any ideas guys ??

-----------------------
Turns out Parental control for the non-admin acc is the devil. But, the point is I've used Parental control with only one setting and that is to restrict certain app like Drive Genius, Disk Utility etc as misusing them may screw my MacBook. I've set unrestricted access to websites but still the problem existed. Turning off the Parental Control for the non-admin acc has solved the problem. Sounds like Parental controls are buggy!!

Last edited:

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
^^^Streaming videos between computers is a breeze with VLC. I have no idea how PS3 works ? Googling brought some stuff and as I don't own PS3 ( God I wish I had this!! ) can't say anything :-(

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello, guys. :)

How’s everyone doing?

I’m thrilled to see that this thread is still going strong. How come you’re still a moderator though, Milind? Didn’t you say you had resigned all those months ago?

Anyway, can someone suggest a good, native, non open source disk burning application for Mac OS X besides the way-too-expensive Toast and crappy Disco?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Hmmm ... how about Parallels + Vista + Nero. :D Not open source, not costly, native to Windows & pretty good.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Guess what I am busy doing ??

- IMAGE -

Oh I am lovin' it, wish there was 'Kiss to Confirm' and not 'Click to Confirm' ;-)
LOL! That’s definitely not what it was intended for. :p

Hmmm ... how about Parallels + Vista + Nero. :D Not open source, not costly, native to Windows & pretty good.
LOL! OK, so just for the sake of fun, here’s the breakdown:
Parallels 4: $80
Microsoft® Windows™ Vista Home Basic (ultimate insanely supreme blah blah blah edition): $200+
Nero 9: $80
The ridiculousness of the entire idea: Priceless!

:D

Last edited:
Found out Nullriver Medialink for my video streaming purpose. Awesome application! HD videos stream silky smooth. Must have if you own a PS3.

IronManForever

aryayush said:
good, native, non open source disk burning application for Mac OS X
I do not know of any such apps. I was actually amazed why you would not want an open-source app, if it gets your job done well.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Anyway, can someone suggest a good, native, non open source disk burning application for Mac OS X besides the way-too-expensive Toast and crappy Disco?

Check this. *macapper.com/2007/02/13/showdown-mac-disc-burners/

I prefer Disco, what do u find "crappy" about it? It is the only disk burner which allows me to make UDF Multisession DVDs on a Mac

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Check this. *macapper.com/2007/02/13/showdown-mac-disc-burners/

I prefer Disco, what do u find "crappy" about it? It is the only disk burner which allows me to make UDF Multisession DVDs on a Mac
Thanks. :)

Disco has created coasters out of a lot of my disks, but I guess that may have just been my SuperDrive…

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
My personal favorite disc burning app is K3B, I wish we had a Mac Version for it.
On Mac my fav is Disco!!
I use Disco to burn my MKV collection ;-)
I use BurnAgain for my multi session data disks
For images Toast and Disk Utility
And for other purposes I use Toast(again!) and LiquidCD

Unfortunately none of the above are OSS but hey LiquidCD is free I guess!!

yash

I draw every day
I really like that toast automatically adds the burnt disk to disk catalog database. but since i've stopped using my mac to burn dvds, i have to bring them in disc catalog manually.

Top Bottom