The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Heheh... That explains it. iChat has fraud protection, to protect the privacy of models and celebrities....

Anyway, while I haven't tried the backdrops on iChat, they work fine on Photo Booth. Btw, did you get the .1 update as well?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Comic Life for Windows is out of Beta! Amazing piece of software. Try and see for yourself.

*plasq.com/

Some of the things I've created with it: (click for the full image)

*farm2.static.flickr.com/1418/672373474_8b00feeea7.jpg *farm2.static.flickr.com/1359/663034506_6ccdef5373.jpg

By the way..guys, seen this site? *www.dockulicious.com/

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
Oh and btw, I was right about the Command+Shift+4 thing which I mentioned earlier. You can't move the box around by pressing the spacebar... the feature is new to the spotted cat...
Can you please explain this to me a bit more clearly? I'm not too sure which feature you are talking about.

narangz said:
No more Windows discussion here by me. I am not going to ruin an Apple thread :)
Thank you! I really appreciate that. :)

drgrudge said:
Finally I'm posting from a Mac.
Congratulations! Way to go, buddy! :)

drgrudge said:
Got a issue already. This MBP gave 'shock' initially and whenever I insert this Megsafe thing, I'm feeling some mild vibration.. why is it so?
No earthing. Just get the socket earthed and use the tri-pin plug.

drgrudge said:
Goobi, I think we need to the thing we did last night... :D
What was that?

drgrudge said:
After charging to 100%, I always take off the power. I did that in my Dell laptop. I'll have to do the same for battery performance?
No, you won't. I don't and my battery performs pretty decently. Ever since upgrading to Leopard, it has started giving me around three hours of backup. Don't disconnect the power cord on full charge.

drgrudge said:
Should I not bother with the sleep thing and not close the lid?
Yes, you shouldn't. One thing every new Mac switcher has to learn is to stop trying to make a Mac behave like other computers and Mac OS X like Windows. You shut the lid and it sleeps. Simple. Don't mess with it.

If you want it not to sleep, just lock the screen and don't shut the lid.

Another free piece of advice: Don't shut down your Mac. When you're done for the day, just shut down the lid and stow it away. My Mac is never shut down unless some update forces me to. Sleep is just so damn convenient and full proof. It is also better for the battery.

DARK LORD said:
Open links in TABS
Just hold down the ⌘ key when you click on the link and it will open in a new tab. Or you can drag it to the tab bar.

goobimama said:
I forgot that the ones who pay $10 for the upgrade disc can only upgrade and not clean install. Kind of sucks in case you need to reinstall Leopard at a later date...
Yeah, I completely loathe this particular thing. WTH was Apple thinking! I think some influential Apple engineer just returned from a trip to Redmond.

DARK LORD said:
I think drgrudge's name should be added to the first post
Yeah, it should...

DARK LORD said:
LOL @ Take a looksie at this *www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJCnzBs4XDs
LOL! That was very funny. :lol: Wish it was a tad slower though.

goobimama said:
I haven't used Opera so...
1) Not sure what this feature is.
It is exactly the same as the snapback feature of Safari.

drgrudge said:
I've been trying to make these guys catch the Dock skinning craze ever since Leopard's been released. Hope this helps. :)

@jamesbond007
What is your name?

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
I see you are back...with vengeance!

Anyway, that feature with the Command+Shift+4, it shows the cursor so you can select it right? Now once you start dragging, what if you wanted a little more on the side where you started? You have to cancel the box and do it all over again. Now, you press the Spacebar and you can move the box to whereever you want to while dragging. Get it? Still no? Forget it.

Originally Posted by drgrudge
Goobi, I think we need to the thing we did last night...

What was that?
That's a secret between me and the Doctor. Stay out of it Kolkatistian.

And me likes the current dock. Will change it in a few months after I'm bored of it. That scrollbar thing was a godsend though...

Last edited:

drgrudge

aryayush, you're back!

aryayush said:
No earthing. Just get the socket earthed and use the tri-pin plug.
Yesterday an electrician came and confirmed that earthing was not there in that socket. But he didn't know how to earth a socket!

The MegSafe adapter has a thing which can be removed... so I need to buy a 3 pin plug and attach that? How much does Apple charge?

aryayush said:
I don't and my battery performs pretty decently. Ever since upgrading to Leopard, it has started giving me around three hours of backup. Don't disconnect the power cord on full charge.
This one runs for over 4 hours after a full charge with a USB mouse connected, BT & AirPort is off and Screen brightness reduced.

You sure that battery is not affected when we plug it eve after it's fully charged? I used Dell 6400 for some 8 months and I used to do this and my battery comes for around 3 hrs will full charge, whereas some of colleagues who power it always found the battery doesn't last 2.5 hrs also.

aryayush said:
Don't shut down your Mac. When you're done for the day, just shut down the lid and stow it away. My Mac is never shut down unless some update forces me to. Sleep is just so damn convenient and full proof. It is also better for the battery.
I've asked this to Goobi as well, but let me see what's your opinion.

I got a BSNL Unlimited connection. If I run my MBP 24/7, won't there be any problem?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Another free piece of advice: Don't shut down your Mac. When you're done for the day, just shut down the lid and stow it away. My Mac is never shut down unless some update forces me to. Sleep is just so damn convenient and full proof. It is also better for the battery.

Does Mac OS X allows u to hybernate? Its better then sleep & saves battery

goobimama

 Macboy
While there is a feature called "Safe Sleep", you have to enable it from the terminal. But then no one uses it cause sleeping the laptop is much much better. The iBook can run for 12-14 days on a single charge in sleep mode.

narangz

Web developer

drgrudge said:
Comic Life for Windows is out of Beta! Amazing piece of software. Try and see for yourself.

*plasq.com/

Thank you for this piece of info! :)

drgrudge said:
Yesterday an electrician came and confirmed that earthing was not there in that socket. But he didn't know how to earth a socket!

Then how come he knows if the socket is properly grounded or not? :D To get the earthing done call some hardware store. They'll do the boring for you. After that call some good electrician.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
... uh oh.

goobimama said:
I see you are back...with vengeance!
LOL! Got the connection renewed. Paid Rs. 1,922 more to the suckass company. :p

goobimama said:
Anyway, that feature with the Command+Shift+4, it shows the cursor so you can select it right? Now once you start dragging, what if you wanted a little more on the side where you started? You have to cancel the box and do it all over again. Now, you press the Spacebar and you can move the box to whereever you want to while dragging. Get it? Still no? Forget it.
I get it and it was there in Tiger too, pal.

drgrudge said:
aryayush, you're back!
Yeah, baby! :p

drgrudge said:
he didn't know how to earth a socket!
Some electrician he is! LOL!

drgrudge said:
The MegSafe adapter has a thing which can be removed... so I need to buy a 3 pin plug and attach that? How much does Apple charge?
Your Mac came with two cords. One has the MagSafe end and the other one has a three-pin plug. You can attach both the cords together. Try it. It is another inspired piece of engineering.

drgrudge said:
This one runs for over 4 hours after a full charge with a USB mouse connected, BT & AirPort is off and Screen brightness reduced.
Yeah, well, I have a seventeen inch screen at full brightness, more than twenty applications running at any given time, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi both switched on with Wi-Fi being in use all the time. Three hours is pretty decent. :)

drgrudge said:
You sure that battery is not affected when we plug it eve after it's fully charged?
Yes, I am sure. The battery will die when it will and there is nothing you can do about it.

drgrudge said:
If I run my MBP 24/7, won't there be any problem?
Uhh... dude, it's a Mac. :D

gx_saurav said:
Does Mac OS X allows u to hybernate?
Yes, it does but it is called "deep sleep".

gx_saurav said:
Its better then sleep
That's what I'd thought too when I'd just switched. But I've long since changed my opinion. Hibernation is absolutely no match for sleeping. Not even close. Nothing beats the convenience of shutting the lid and stowing your notebook away and then returning to it eight hours later and getting to work right away. It's awesome!

goobimama

 Macboy
Well it's not. I still have Tiger on the iBook and tried it out at the Apple store as well. You can't move the bounding box with the spacebar.

drgrudge

aryayush said:
Your Mac came with two cords. One has the MagSafe end and the other one has a three-pin plug. You can attach both the cords together. Try it. It is another inspired piece of engineering.
Yeah, I'll try and see what happens. But when I tried it the first time, there was issues in another socket. But yet to try the 3 pin in the present one.

narangz said:
Then how come he knows if the socket is properly grounded or not? :D To get the earthing done call some hardware store. They'll do the boring for you. After that call some good electrician.
He had 2 wires connected to a bulb and tried different permutations and combinations in the socket and came to a conclusion that earthing is not in place.

DARK LORD said:
The electrician said the socket doesn't have earthing ?
Not really. Some socket had earthing and in place and some didn't. We checked 3 sockets and only one had earthing. Tried charging MBP in that socket and the "vibrations" were reduced to 75% :rolleyes: But that guy said he didn't feel any vibrations.

So guess it's earthing issue and I'll call some other electrician and get the stuff done.

Top Bottom