The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

narangz

Web developer
Yeah. Call an electrician. Tell him to do proper earthing. Earthing requires some digging in loose earth or boring. I don't know if its possible where you live. But its a must for every electrical appliance & electronic gadget. It saves us from getting all burnt up with a shock :D

Stepdown thing? Can you explain, plz?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
Ohh! Let me see...

The step down thing converts 220v to 110v. Other than that I have no idea what it can do and how it can help my problem. :D

goobimama

 Macboy
How it helps your problem is, instead of going through all the connectors and converters which usually cause such electrical problems, you have one connector where your adapter goes into.

Btw, try your adapter+macbook pro at a well earthed place and see if the problem persists...

There's no problem with leaving the power on even at 100%. Read about this somewhere... I've been doing the same for all this while on the iBook.

As for Leopard's price, 1k more than the international rate seems quite fine. And anyway, it's no Vista that we are talking about...:)

But the 5 user license really seems affordable.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Guys, how to disable sleep/hibernate when I close the lid of the MBP? I want my lappy to "do nothing".

Searched and found out softwares like SleepLess, InsomniaX, Jiggler, Caffeine & Doze.

Also one guy says: *paulmcnett.com/blosxom.cgi/2007/03/23#Apple_MacBook_Sleep_Lid_Closed_Problem_Solution
"I believe the major reason has to do with the apparent fact that much of
the cooling system relies on a free-flow of air around the keys in the
keyboard and out into the room. When the lid is closed, the potential of
heat buildup causing damage to the LCD, not to mention CPU, increases."

Should I not bother with the sleep thing and not close the lid?

yash

I draw every day
I wouldn't recoment closing the lid of mbp while its still running. I can really feel the air around the speakers and keyboard when I'm working on some power heavy programs and the fans are at full blast.

also, another bummer for leopard, NFS carbon doesn't work. all sounds, but no video. and it 'supposedly' works fine with tiger. WTF! I wasted so much time downloading a 5 gig game for nothing!

goobimama

 Macboy
I'm not sure what you mean exactly but if you close the lid, the MBP goes to sleep (this is when the white light pulses). While in sleep, you can do whatever with it just as you would a laptop which is completely off. I haven't put my iBook off for a couple of months now.

Now if you are going to keep it "on" with lid closed, then it's not a good idea although it can very well be done since the MBP has an aluminum enclosure...

drgrudge

^^
I don't know if you have used a Lappy (Windows). It'll have an option in the Power Settings of Control Panel. We can ask the lappy to "do nothing" when the lid (the LCD part of the lappy) is brought down.

Why would I want that?
--> If I'm not using my lappy, but listening to songs or torrent is running...
In sleep mode, Transmission also sleeps, so I don't want it that way.

I understand why Apple did this. In my Dell 6400, when I close the lid, it actually does not shut completely, there'll be a centimeter of space btw the LCD and keyboard. But this MBP is so thin and obviously we don't have any space.

goobimama

 Macboy
Never seen that option before. But if you aren't 'doing anything' other than using transmission, it should be okay to keep the lid closed. But since the MBP sleeps after closing the lid, you will have to wake it up be inserting a USB key or clicking an external mouse. I'd suggest however that you don't keep the lid closed...maybe half closed to prevent dust and such.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was chatting up with Grudge when the topic of Safari vs Firefox came up. I'm sure everyone knows how big fan of firefox our Dr.G is. Anyway, here's some points of Safari I've highlighted that I really can't do without. And this is Safari for Windows. On the mac there's much more.

- Resizable Text Fields
Resize text fields on any website: Just grab the corner and drag. (Oh if only the forum text boxes were a little bigger than the tiny ones they currently are)

- Private Browsing
Keep your online activities private with a single click. (Firefox can clear all private data, but this one let's you do your stuff while keeping your data intact)

- Inline Find
Search any text on any website with the integrated Find banner.(The neat little find thingie shows you at a glance all the words in the web page. Really nicely done)

- Merge all Windows. Cause while there are tabs, sometimes you open up separate windows...

- InstantSnapback feature. Just can't tell you how useful this is...

- And last but not the least, brings to me to something familiar in a weird place :)

The only thing that was missing, spellcheck has finally been added to the Windows end in the latest update:

Changes in Safari 3.0.4 for Windows beta:

Latest security updates
Improved stability
Improved compatibility
Improved JavaScript and application launch performance
Resize windows from any side
New keyboard shortcuts
Additional font smoothing option
International text input methods
Advanced text (contextual forms, international scripts)
NTLM support
PAC file auto-detection
FTP directory listings
Link to proxy settings from Safari (Safari respects the proxy settings in the Windows Internet control panel)
Cookie management
LiveConnect support
Tooltips
Spell checking
Printing page numbers, titles, margins

*www.apple.com/safari/download/

Last edited:

drgrudge

goobimama -
Wow! Previously I was active in these Opera-FX threads, but now this! But seriously I'm amazed that you Mac guys use Safari and not Firefox.

Some counter arguement of the above features..

Private Browsing
Why would I care? I'm going to use my MBP for 95% of the time. If others want to access, I'll ask them to use Safari. :twisted: I used to do this in my PC also, I'll ask other to use Maxthon/IE.

Inline Find
This is there in FX as well. You don't need to press cmd + F also, just like that type what you're looking for and FX will look for it. But this is not working in FX for Mac. Or maybe I'll have to look into the settings again.

Merge all Windows
Why would I want that? I open all the links in a new tab.

Resizable Text Fields
This is cool. Hope there is some FX add on for this feature. :D

InstantSnapback
No idea. What's this?

I agree that FX might not have a lot of functionality over Opera/Safari, but being an OSS has it's own advantage. I've certain Add ons which is mandatory for me. Don't tell me that Add ons will increase memory usage or that BS. I used to have like 10 add ons in my 8 yr old PC and browsing. :cool:

praka123

left this forum longback
biggest problem in ff is memory usage.no news about any fix-even for the ff3 too afaik.
someone said:
Resizable Text Fields
This is cool. Hope there is some FX add on for this feature.
isnt greasemonkey(i havnt used!!!) similar?

goobimama

 Macboy
Ah. You have a sweet world then where people listen to you. Out here it is war. So I don't want people knowing what sites I visit...but I don't want them to find something fishy with all the history suddenly disappearing either :)

Instant snapback is a button that takes you directly to the topmost search result or the page you started visiting. It's a replacement for clicking the back button. I thought this feature was lame until I used it.

Oh. I also forgot: Bonjour bookmarks. That way I can access my mac bookmarks while browsing from my PC. (del.icio.us?)

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Instant snapback is really helpful. A lot of times I find myself in unknown territory. This helps :)

The things that really keep me away from Safari are:
1) Something similar to ABP ( I wanna block flash objects too, yeh ! )
2) Open links in TABS ( I tried that plugin for Safari. Didn't work for me :( )

Merging all windows option doesn't come in the picture with FF's capability to open any link in a new tab :)
( psst... I use safari theme for FF :p )

drgrudge

praka123 -
Memory issue is there, but it's negligible in my MacBook Pro. Like I said I ran FX in my 8 yr old PC as well with 128 MB RAM and running 3-5 applications along with FX. It was slow, yeah, but you can manage.

But if you have a decent system (forget any top end rig), then there should not be memory issue with FX. I mean, memory leak (if any) or above memory usage will be there but it won't be much of a hindrance to you.

goobimama

 Macboy
I got something called Safari Adblock. There's no configuration option other than enable/disable. Seems to work pretty well though there are some that get through.

I've very used to opening links by dragging them to the tab bar (the wacom tablet makes this really simple :) ) but there are times when I open different windows (for side by side comparisons, copying and such) and later want to merge them into one.

@dark_lord: did you try saft?

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Yeh, I did. For some reason, my Safari started to crash. So had to remove it.

Btw, 10.5.1 is out :)

*docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306907

Last edited:
Top Bottom