The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
I thought:
- you said you didn't know how to delete icons.
- then I go and delete the icon and the coverflow looks fine after that.
- then come back to post here and go to see you already knew how to do that (obviously!)

Milind "uses" Time Machine...For real!
One stupid friend came over and asked me to do some 'stuff' for his project. When the time came for the project cover, he said "same format like last time, only use this picture instead". I'm like "woah dude, do you have the PSD? Cause I deleted it from my Mac". Turns out I was going to have to do the whole thing again. Then it dawned on me. I did a cleanup just a few days ago. Why not try Time Machine! And there it was! Just restored the files over and I saved myself at least half an hour of extra work!

(My friend was of course floored by Time Machine.)

I should also mention that I had absolutely no clue as to what the filename was, only knew one line of text from within the photoshop layer. But that's usual spotlight behaviour I guess...

Last edited:

yash

I draw every day
hey, don't you think the poll should be removed/changed restarted? because the imac family has gotten a totally new look. and it can beter compete against the macpro and macbook pro... ;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
aryayush said:
Update 6: Added a cute little orange Apple logo.

Eh? im getting a "|" in opera , "?" in firefox and square box in IE... :confused: :confused: I guess its only Safari which shows that logo..

goobimama

 Macboy
That is exclusive to mac users and Safari for Windows (unless you do something about it)

Btw, remember we had that discussion about Vista vs Mac installation time? I did install Vista today, and boy did someone forget to remind me about the post-installation system performance testing. All that for a performance rating. The stupidity of the whole thing really mind boggling.

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Ok guessed about the logo thing ;) .. neway thanks for the reply.

Now how much score did you get after vista installation?

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
While on Windows I use CCleaner and Disk cleaner to clean the junk on my PC I am looking for similar things on Mac

I am also looking for some handy keyboard shortcuts on Mac

Sometimes after installing applications from cd, I am unable to eject cd from the drive, the only solution remaining for me is to reboot Mac and eject cd. We don't have a hardware eject button so how to over come this problem

Is there any BIOS Setup for MacBook ?? If yes how to enter ??

More coming shortly.....

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Kindly explain how you "Install" the applications from the CD. You are supposed to drag them to Applications folder on your Macintosh HD. The cd won't eject if the application is running from the CD and not from the HD.

yash

I draw every day
I was SERIOUSLY getting tired of time machine backing up each and every hour. lemme elaborate my situation...
I'm downloading 15 gigs of torrents to one partition on the external drive. and as more data is downloaded, the files change, and time machine decides to backup these files again! so I'm wasting so much room on the backup partition, that the oldest backup I'm left with is 1st nov. 5 days ago! so I decided to turn off automatic backup.

my solution for this now... An applescript that forces time machine to backup, that is set to run every night at 1 am. I am still testing this... so hope it works out.

any other bright ideas are very welcome.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
DARK LORD said:
Kindly explain how you "Install" the applications from the CD. You are supposed to drag them to Applications folder on your Macintosh HD. The cd won't eject if the application is running from the CD and not from the HD.

Of course Cd won't eject if apps are running, I closed all the instances of the apps and waited for some time but still it won't eject

superczar

-n00b-
I am stilled a bit dejected at my Mini being unable to serve as a propah HTPC
But on the bright side, the mini is back in my bedroom hooked to my old LCD running 24/7 as the primary download rig and for late night browsing/music/watching TV series

Hopefully, witht he increasing penetration of OS X (Is it the halo effect from the ipod/iphone or the disappointment with Vista? who knows, but is is all good :p), App support for OS X is only going to improve

bond007....Please do yourself a favor and get rid of your ISP that uses that POS 24online client

read through to know why:

*www.techenclave.com/forums/alternative-to-cyberoam-24online-2465.html?highlight=cyberoam

*www.techenclave.com/forums/weird-internet-problem-2700.html?highlight=cyberoam

*www.techenclave.com/forums/weird-internet-problem-2700.html?highlight=cyberoam

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
superczar said:
bond007....Please do yourself a favor and get rid of your ISP that uses that POS 24online client

Yeah I know 24Online clent sucks , so I have applied for BSNL broadband but I'll have to wait for it!!! Thanx for your concern and those links were good.

Now coming to my Mac

I am looking for Windows drivers for my Mac's Airport Extreme Wireless card. I managed to get my friend's BootCamp driver disk but it didn't show my Wireless card. Bluetooth works fine. iSight works
Can someone help me get Windows deivers for Airport Extreme Wireless Card

*driveactivated.com/blog/archive/2007/05/19/get-windows-to-find-your-apple-airport-extreme.aspx

the above mentioned url talks about getting Windows to recognize your mac's Airport Extreme wireless card.
I have Windows installed on my Mac using VMWare Fusion, and with my friend's Bootcamp Windows driver CD I was able install the drivers for Bluetooth, Ethernet, iSight and all work fine except my Airport Extreme, which is the one I want the most. To make windows recognize my Airport Extreme I followed the steps mentioned in the above url.
In the Airport utility on my Mac it doesn't show any base station (btw what is it ??), even after rescanning it doesnt show any base station and hence I am unable to change the channel of my Airport Wireless card to 6. Now how do I get this done and also I'd greatly appreciate if anyone of you can help me get the windows drivers for my Airport Extreme Wireless card.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
*Cracks knuckles*

@jamesbond:
You don't need to use any cleaner for the Mac. But if you still need to go ahead, then try Onyx, CacheoutX.

For keyboard shortcuts, you go to the Keyboard preference pane, then shortcuts tab, and you will see some of the shortcuts in there. You can add your own shortcuts, it's very easy.

There is no BIOS for Macs. They all use EFI. So you can't do any setup unless apple wants you to do (which they don't). What exactly is it that you need? Cause it can be accomplished by keypresses

As for wireless drivers, they work fine on my end when I tried XP. Maybe you need a newer version of bootcamp for those drivers, though I have used bootcamp since it's first iteration.

@yash: What the hell dude! Just block out that folder from backing up. I've blocked out my "Movies" folder from backing up cause I have a lot of changing content there and I don't have a lot of space to waste. Just go to the settings, and add your torrent location to the "prevent these from backup" thingie and it won't backup.

@jamesbond: Airport extreme wireless card in your macbook is different from the Airport Extreme base station which is Apple's router. That link is not loading for me, but I think it has something to do with the base station and not your wireless card. There have been no issues with Windows detecting your wireless card with bootcamp, so there shouldn't be any guide for that....

@darky: You need to "copy" the app to your applications folder before launching it. Do not run the apps from the mounted DMG image or CD.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
yash said:
hey, don't you think the poll should be removed/changed restarted? because the imac family has gotten a totally new look. and it can beter compete against the macpro and macbook pro... ;)
I want to remove it too but cannot. It is not in my power.

So, one more job for Ashwin. Can you please delete the poll? :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
aryayush -
You can't delete a poll. You can only edit it. If you want a new poll, then that can be done in lieu of this one. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
FCS studio 1, which includes FCP 5.0 will run on the macbook/mini (tried and tested on macbook). FCS 2 which includes the latest FCP 6.0 will NOT run on a macbook/mac mini.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
If I'm not wrong, FCS Studio 1 is the whole suite, while FCP 5.0 is the video editing app, right ?

Can I install and run FCP 5.0 only ? I don't want the other stuff :|

Top Bottom