The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

ok .. Just came back from MG road, bangalore. I was surprised to see that reliance will be opening iStore with exclusive apple products. the shop is not open yet but I managed to getinto the shop past the guard. cause they were still settingup the shop :)) so me getting in was a luck :p .

first glance I saw 4 Mac ;) .. By the time I took a good look at that MAC one guys approached me if I required any help :p I asked when will it officially open? he said this week.

I saw a pair of new iPod nano and classic.. damm... new nano is so slim .. nothing fatty about it.
Next I asked where are the other models? :confused: . He said they are expecting iPod Touch soon. I took a quick glancing and saw a few Mac Book's/pro , some speakers and stuff.

Most were covered in clear plastic cover to prevent accumulation of dust. The new mac keyboard is really slim .. you have to see it to belive it ;) ..

Now comes my question "What about iPhone, when are you guys getting it?" :twisted: first he tried to fake a bit.. blah blah blah.. then he realised that I knew about iPhone ( thanks to digit :D ).. we didnot discuss anything more :p.

As they were very busy I did not want to disturb them so I took their number and left the store :) .

The store is located next the Spencer's @ MG Road

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

bada ambani had signed an exclusive deal with apple to open up exclusive apple stores in india .... :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

yeah i got a chance to experiment a bit wid the new iMacs at manipal center, banaglore. the keyboard, yes its jus too slim. i wonder if that'll be a problem for normal use!!!

but the screen quality is brilliant and the form factor is jus too good for the whole mac setup!

goobimama

 Macboy

Hey hey hey! Stop admiring the new iMac! Mine is feeling a little left out :(
[someone please say something like "the new one sux. the old one has a much better screen.] Or I'm going to tell mummy...

btw, 'MAC' is a networking term short for Media Access Control. 'Mac' is the right way...

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

infra_red_dude said:
yeah i got a chance to experiment a bit wid the new iMacs at manipal center, banaglore.

When did you go? today? did we just missed eachother? :eek:

superczar

-n00b-

Btw the iTunes "Get Artwork" thing works really well for me.

doesn't seem to be working for me, neither o Windows, nor on OS X :(

goobimama

 Macboy

Well you need an iTunes Account for it to work...:)
(notice Aayush said "You're welcome" after my post)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

Charan said:
When did you go? today? did we just missed eachother? :eek:
no, on sunday.

they ordered the new iMacs in a very large number i guess and were setting them up.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Microsoft Announces Pricing for Office 2008 for Mac

Microsoft has announced pricing for Office 2008 for Mac, which has been delayed until, well, January of 2008, naturally. It'll ship on January 15th. And of course, Microsoft is not making it easy with just one version of Office, announcing pricing for three different iterations.

First up is the standard version, the one that's called Office 2000 for Mac, and that has PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Entourage on board for $399. For $100 more, you can get the Special Media Edition that adds Expression Media, which lets you catalog your music and videos. Then there's the slightly crippled Home and Student version for $149, and it won't let you use its Exchange and Automator functions.

*gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/microsoft-announces-pricing-for-office-2008-for-mac-303329.php

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Its better for Macboys to stick to iWork, Office 2008 won't do any good to them. They don't need it.

din

Tribal Boy

@iMav

Any info on MS launching Office for Linux ? ;)

goobimama

 Macboy

And of course, Microsoft is not making it easy with just one version
Of course. We take it for granted that they can't possibly make one version..

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

din said:
@iMav

Any info on MS launching Office for Linux ? ;)
for ur basic needs OO and lotus will suffice :D

goobimama

 Macboy

GX. Weren't you asking about something like this?

New Mac OS X Application - “Lock Desktop”
Written on April 15, 2007 by Chris

I’ve uploaded one of my first applications for a Mac. It’s extremely easy to use. The tool allows you to lock your desktop when you’re away from the computer and requires a password when you get back. This is something you can run on demand, instead of waiting for a screen-saver, or logging off. Lock Desktop 1.0 even keeps your programs running in the back.

Download the file below.
Lock Desktop - Mac OS X

Mac OS X - Application that will “lock” desktop. This feature was available on my PC and allowed to leave my workstation and ensure that my desktop remained safe. This application runs an Automator script to lock the desktop.

Download: *chriscook.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/lock_desktop.zip

Though it appears that if you click on the Username in the menubar, and select "Login Window" it does the same thing, that is takes you to the login window without logging out...

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy

iMav said:
for ur basic needs OO and lotus will suffice :D

LOL, was just kidding as MS making Office suits for other OS. I know MS will not make it for Lin.

And not only for basic use, advanced use also we can for OO or Lotus ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

goobimama said:
GX. Weren't you asking about something like this?

Download: *chriscook.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/lock_desktop.zip

Though it appears that if you click on the Username in the menubar, and select "Login Window" it does the same thing, that is takes you to the login window without logging out...
But, why would someone need an application for that? There are two very effective ways to lock the desktop built right into Mac OS X.
1. Set the screen saver to activate with a hot corner; or
2. Enable the "Show Status in Menu Bar" option in the preferences for Keychain Access. A lock icon appears in the menu bar. Just click on it and you get the "Lock Screen" option.

I use the second method. Pretty simple. Though, I admit, the option should have been there in the "Security" pane of System Preferences. :)

goobimama

 Macboy

I use the screensaver option, but gx was complaining about how it doesn't take him to the login screen and such... no harm in using alternate methods.

I do like the menubar lock thing though...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

Goobi ... this 1s for u :)

Turn Your Mac into a DVR

Mac only: Start watching, recording and burning live television to disc on your Mac with the right hardware and software. A USB TV tuner (like the $150 EyeTV tuner), Roxio's Toast Titanium ($100) and a big hard drive will get you started. Record shows with the EyeTV software which will transfer them to your iPod automatically and export to Toast for optional disc-burning.

The Tutorial

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

gx_saurav said:
I use the screensaver option, but gx was complaining about how it doesn't take him to the login screen and such... no harm in using alternate methods.
In other words, he was complaining about how it should work exactly like it does on Windows.

Remind me again why this guys still has Mac OS X installed on his machine. It occupies quite a lot of disk space and it's not as if he is in love with the operating system... I think...

goobimama

 Macboy

Don't know why the DVR thing is aimed at me. I don't even have/watch/like TV

Top Bottom