The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

^^ Those are niiiice. [Aren't those Pros? at least save for the blackbook, I don't think you can laser etch on plastic]

As for those apps launching, you can stop an app from launching by just right clicking and "force quit" from the dock. It is sensible to have a warning though (just like firefox and opening a live bookmark with lots of tabs)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

1 thing in windows vista (dont remmber abt xp) is that if theres an app that stops responding because ur foolishness then the title bar and the app tab on the start bar both have (Not Responding) where as in os x u dont have something like this :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

But when you roll your mouse over that application, it changes into the spinning beachball to indicate that the application is not responding. And when you hit '⌘⌥⎋', the list shows the frozen applications in red. Pretty obvious clues, IMHO.

@praka123
Yup, it is supposed to be exclusive but I guess it is not so. :p

@goobimama
All of them are MacBook Pros.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

the spinning ball isnt an indication of frozen app :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

When it is not spinning all over the place, i.e. only when you roll it over some particular application - then yes, it is.

BTW, guys, look at the this image:
*img171.imageshack.us/img171/6972/addressbookdq4.th.png

You might find a curious entry in my Address Book. :p

goobimama

 Macboy

Oh the application freezes alright (experience with Firefox and Mail)...but it also takes down the OS with it. Nice way of knowing an app has frozen...nothing works!

Got dual displays working on iBook!

Not that it was a bit feat, just installed Screen Spanning Doctor which is sort of a haxie to unlock the hidden potential of the radeon 9200 inside the iBook. And it works pretty well (supposidely upto 1920*1200 resolution). I tried it with a Samsung 740n at 1280*1024 in addition to the iBook's 1024 and it works superb. Only the Samsung display shows crappy "vivid" colours which are totally off mark but it's good to have a web page on the samsung while working on a PSD on the main display...

And the display configuration preference pane is very friendly. Just have to move the second display around to show its position and it automatically adjusts. Resolutions and such can be set from the menubar itself.

It does lag sometimes though in terms of moving windows, expose and such, but that's forgivable. I guess I'll get a 17" for the iMac then...

[offtopic]Rock on India! Good job kicking those Aussies out of the game![/offtopic]

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yeah. I was on the edge of my seat. I'd thought we'd lost it. YAY! :D

goobimama said:
Oh the application freezes alright (experience with Firefox and Mail)...but it also takes down the OS with it. Nice way of knowing an app has frozen...nothing works!
LOL! :lol:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
... and then keep pressing "End Task", "End Task", "End Task" as most of them freeze and refuse to close until forced to do so - twice or thrice.
Don't say it does not happen because it does. It is a pain to close unresponsive programs on Windows (and programs become unresponsive very frequently).

Sometimes u make me wonder if u even know the basics of Windows.

Task manger -> Click on task name with control button selected & just press End task once.Done.

And BTW, you can indeed launch Activity Monitor, select all programs and 'Quit' them at once on Mac OS X too. The only difference is that the programs don't freeze and even if any particular program does, you can just 'Force Quit' it and go your merry way.

Same with Vista. one thing u miss out that if u force quit an application, then if u were working on something like a pages sheet then it will not be saved. In Windows however, Word 2k7 autosaves (Example)

The fact that I've never once had a kernel panic or had to force shut down my Mac so far (in thirteen months) is a testament to how stable the platform is. :)

Same here in Vista.

And you get crap applications for Mac OS X too. But no application being the whole OS down.

Try running .net based or VS 2005 based apps on Windows. Apps crash but not the whole OS. Those days are over.

I want to visit websites full of crap. I want to visit places on the web when I am warned by Google that they might be malicious. And I want my system to remain clean after all these pursuits. Clearly, Microsoft is incapable of providing me such a carefree experienc

Your own personal experience doesn't count. I also ignore the warning by google & go ahead. Nothing happens.

goobimama

 Macboy

Well I didn't know about the Ctrl+end task thing. Will try it out (a few minutes into windows and I'll get to!)

As for saving, what kind of an argument is that? Word has an autosave feature and it ends there. Even the mac version has it. And if an app crashes, it crashes. And if you want the same features in Mac apps, you can always use a simple applescript to save documents from any mac application.

And even though I take heed to the warning offered by Google, sh** happens...

Just read this in the "comments" section of a TUAW post for a new leopard release which mentions that the iCal icon now changes its date without being launched:

Safari's compass needle now points towards North as you move your MacBook.

The Address Book icon gets thicker and more ragged with the more contacts you add, and Mail shows the species of owl that will be delivering your letter through the series of tubes. (It was still an eagle in early builds, but that was just to be patriotic.)

And through a clever use of the temperature sensors, a barometric array allows the new "Weather 1.0" icon to display an accurate forecast of climatic conditions. Sort of like the iPhoto icon, but without so many endless sunsets.

Leopard is gonna smoke! Jobs was right when he said it was going to be worth the wait...

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

As Adobe launches its latest Photoshop and Premiere Elements editions for Windows—still $99 each or $149 as a combo—there was plenty of talk about the return of a low-end product for the Mac OS, aimed to take on iLife at a moment of vulnerability.

A version of Photoshop Elements will ship for Mac OS in "early 2008," says senior product manager Mark Dahm, who said that instead of an album organizer like the one in the Windows version, a Mac PSE would have something like the Bridge application that comes with full-fledged Photoshop CS3.

More tantalizingly, a Premiere Elements for the Mac is not such a far-fetched idea, says Mike Iampetro

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

"Safari's compass needle now points towards North as you move your MacBook."

Do we have a Compass in Macs or we need to be connected to internet for that?

I know what others will think. Maybe it's a petty 'feature'. Still I'll love it for the creative things that I can do with my Macs. :D

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

first there were stars then there were magnets ... now its macbooks ...

lost in the desert; navigating a boat .... forget the magnets and stars .... jus whip out ur macbook and find 'north' :D

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

^^
:lol: Yeah true!

I am meowing with Windows XP now, thought I'll growl with OS X "Tiger" but it seems I'll be roaring with OS X "Leopard". :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

^^^ lolz... :D :D

regarding dock icons, i understand that they'll be dynamic but whats wid the safari needle?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Umm... they have always been dynamic. Mail shows the new emails as a badge on the icon, iCal shows the current date, Toast shows the status when a DVD burns, iGetter shows the download status, etc. Leopard will have more of these... :)

Rest in peace, "iCal Day". :D

goobimama

 Macboy

Hmm.. I wonder how its going to point north. Maybe its going to point north "the the icon" and not relating to the real world. All this is when you move your laptop cause it has motion sensors...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Never miss a chance to advertise, do we! :p

goobimama

 Macboy

I didn't quite get you. Referring to me?

Btw the iTunes "Get Artwork" thing works really well for me. No problems so far. My library is looking amazing now with Coverflow...:)

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You're welcome. :p
I think you need to have the exact same details to get that thing to work. I always enter the artist's name in the "Album Artist" field and that might be the reason it does not work for me most times.

goobimama said:
I didn't quite get you. Referring to me?
Referring to us. "We". :)

goobimama

 Macboy

Aren't you satisfied with the name you have made for yourself? Salesman? :)

Top Bottom