The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

^^

It's true.

You can do right click by:
1. Touching 2 hands together
2. Holding down the Control key and clicking.
3. Buy a 2 button Mouse or Apple Mighty mouse
4. Press ctrl + F12 (I'm not sure abt this)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

1. Not two hands, but two fingers. You just tap with two fingers simultaneously on the trackpad to invoke a right click. It can differentiate between one finger and two and acts accordingly. It is awesome; the best implementation ever.

4. No, that does not invoke a right click.

5. Another way is to place two fingers on the trackpad and then click the button. I don't know why someone would want to use this though when you can just tap with two fingers. :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall

^^
Haha.. I meant 2 fingers only.... how the hell would one place 2 hands in a trackpad! :lol:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You were talking to the person who believes that dragging something to the Dock deletes it. 'Nuff said.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

dragging 'something' to the dock does delete it ... talk specifics ;)

btw thanx wanted to abt it

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Dragging to the Dock has absolutely nothing to do with deletion, with respect to anything. No relation whatsoever. (Unless, of course, you are talking about the Trash, which you weren't.)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

here u go arya ... proof that some things do get deleted if u try to move them to the dock ...

*cid-7a9d87fa129538ef.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Video(05).3gp

heres a zoomed version:

*cid-7a9d87fa129538ef.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Video(04).3gp

sorry for the vid quality but hey its better than an iphone where u cant take a vid :D

goobimama

 Macboy

I'm assuming that video relates to you draggnig a shortcut out of the Finder sidebar. Well, dragging that shortcut ANYWHERE deletes it, and has no relation to the dock.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well i moved it to the dock ... anywhere means nothing to me ... i took it to the dock it got deleted and thats wht i said but if some1 says things like 'nothing what so ever' well i cant help it ... i just showed u what happened when i took something to the dock ...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

@Ashwin and Milind

You see what I mean? :lol:

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
@Ashwin and Milind

You see what I mean? :lol:

Mac OS X Finder sidebar has alias to folders & files. The sidebar is more like a folder with those alias in it or a XML file with path to the original folder written in it, representing this as shortcuts with icons in Sidebar

Ideally when someone drags those alias from sidebar to dock it should move to the dock cos i m just dragging & dropping an alias from one place to another.

Where is iMav wrong?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well i thought that if i drag something from 1 place to another it will create a copy like it otherwise does or may be an alias in case of the dock but instead it deleted it ...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

iMav said:
well i thought that if i drag something from 1 place to another it will create a copy like it otherwise does or may be an alias in case of the dock but instead it deleted it ...
as to what i understand from the discussion: if u drag anything from the sidebar it gets deleted. what imav did was: dragging it from the sidebar to the dock and it got deleted.

so if my understanding is correct its the first thing that caused the deletion: i.e dragging from the sidebar and not dropping onto the dock. the destination of the drag operation is immaterial as the drag operation itself is the coz of deleting it. plz correct me if i wrongly interpreted something here.

goobimama

 Macboy

^ You got that right... The dock has nothing to do with the shortcut getting deleted...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

You are correct, of course. And since you understood such a simple concept without even having ever seen or used the OS, you can see what a bunch of dunderheads those people must be who fail to grasp it even after having used it for a few months. (I am not insinuating anything though.)

Mac OS X is a very intuitive operating system. Instead of messy text alerts that most people don't bother to read, Mac OS X gives you visual cues for various events. For example, if you enter the wrong password during login, you do not get any error message. Instead, the whole login dialog jars violently as soon as you hit return and the password field gets emptied. It is clear that you've entered the wrong password and should try again.

Similarly, Mac OS X gives you three visual cues when you perform the action that iMav did:
1. When you drag the icon out of the sidebar, the mouse cursor changes to a pointer with a little cloud of smoke beneath it. This represents that if you leave the file now, it will go 'poof'.
2. When you drag that icon to the Dock, the other icons will not move aside to make space for the new entry like they usually do. This should be enough to make you think that you're doing something wrong.
3. When you leave the file, it very dramatically disappears in a cloud of smoke. Anyone who has used Mac OS X knows that this does not happen when you delete files so you should realise that whatever it was they you were dragging has not been deleted.

Mac OS X has two kinds of representations for files - aliases and virtual aliases. Virtual aliases are found in the Dock and the Finder sidebar. These are basically aliases that do not have any file associated with them. An alias is a small 4KB file that represents other files. A virtual alias also represents other files but there is no 4KB file here. So when you drag virtual aliases out of their places, it goes 'poof' because there is nothing else associated with it. Drag the original file back to that place (the Dock or Finder sidebar) and a new virtual alias is created.

It is very simple. The fact that this tiny thing had iMav up in arms clearly shows his disinclination towards Mac OS X and his obvious bias against it (and therefore nullifies whatever he has said about it till date). Had he stuck to this much, I would still have found some way to convince myself that it is indeed possible for people more than the age of five to make such a mistake and that it is just a one time occurring.

However, he went above and beyond. When he dragged the 'Applications' icon out of the Finder sidebar onto the Dock and it went 'poof' (as it would have had he left it anywhere apart from the sidebar itself), he thought all his applications had been deleted completely (because the folder wasn't in the Trash either). Now, the Applications folder is right there on the main hard drive itself. It is not even hidden under folders and sub-folders; it is right there under your nose. He could have even used Spotlight to find it instantly. But no, he thought Mac OS X had deleted his entire list of Applications in one fell swoop. A little application of common sense (which might be completely non-existent in this case) would have led him to the obvious conclusion that it wasn't possible because he still was using many of those applications even at that moment.

I guess he's used Windows a tad too long and that might have done some lasting damage! :p

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

aryayush said:
You are correct, of course. And since you understood such a simple concept without even having ever seen or used the OS, you can see what a bunch of dunderheads those people must be who fail to grasp it even after having used it for a few months. (I am not insinuating anything though.)
to this big post of urs, i haf only one thing to say: i've used mac during the dayz of mac os 9 for mebbe about 6 months or so. as far as osx is considered, i've used it for about 2 months or so an year ago. so i've not been completely alienated from mac, but i must admit that i'd never tried draggin anything out of the sidebar!!!

goobimama

 Macboy

@aayush: LOL! Good post!

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well all i wanted to do then was to make a shortcut to my folders in the sidebar to be launched from the dock but it got deleted and thats what i said

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

... coupled with a few expletives about how crap the OS was, how you'd lost all your applications and how the Dock sucked and deleted stuff (and made it sound like the Black Hole or something). When properly explained what you'd done and where you'd gone wrong, you'd refused to believe that you were at fault and kept blaming ths OS. You keep throwing this around every now and then to show that the OS sucks, like in this thread above. So don't say "all i wanted to do" as if you're an innocent little kid who was refused an ice-cream!

goobimama said:
^^ LOL! Good post!
Mine or his? :p

infra_red_dude said:
to this big post of urs, i haf only one thing to say: i've used mac during the dayz of mac os 9 for mebbe about 6 months or so. as far as osx is considered, i've used it for about 2 months or so an year ago. so i've not been completely alienated from mac, but i must admit that i'd never tried draggin anything out of the sidebar!!!
The point still stands, doesn't it? :)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

infra_red_dude said:
so if my understanding is correct its the first thing that caused the deletion: i.e dragging from the sidebar and not dropping onto the dock. the destination of the drag operation is immaterial as the drag operation itself is the coz of deleting it. plz correct me if i wrongly interpreted something here.

Yup this we know. But if we are draging & dropping to the dock then the OS should have enough sense to set it as a shortcut in the dock.

This lack of sense is the problem here.

Top Bottom