The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

Glad you let 'em know, gx_saurav. I am sure Apple's engineers are scrambling to implement this now that you have pointed this out. Go get 'em, BoyGenius! :lol:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well as far as throwing around is concerned .. all i throw around is ... os x cant cut files/folder a fact which u and every1 has accepted ... :lol: an OS cant cut/move files/folders between drives ... and u have documented this in ur fast track to apple if im not wrong ... havnt u

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
Glad you let 'em know, gx_saurav. I am sure Apple's engineers are scrambling to implement this now that you have pointed this out. Go get 'em, BoyGenius! :lol:

I hope they fix such a silly stupidity

goobimama

 Macboy

Well, if you hold the command key while dragging the file to another drive, it "moves" the file.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

goobimama said:
Well, if you hold the command key while dragging the file to another drive, it "moves" the file.

:confused: Was that a reply to my post 20 pages back?

I was talking about alias in sidebar. Doesn't it makes sense to drop them to the dock if dragged to the dock.

goobimama

 Macboy

That reply was to iMav's post... Yours might have a valid point there...

Although, if you get around to working with OS X, you figure out how to get past these things and they don't remain annoyances any more. After all, when you click on applications, there is a small icon on th top of the finder window. You can drag that icon to the dock and its done!

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

^^ i figured that out before i posted it as a flaw ;) ... but it is a flaw that the apple bar or watever u call that has the cut option but it isnt highlighted ...

goobimama

 Macboy

The cut option is for cutting text...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

goobimama said:
That reply was to iMav's post... Yours might have a valid point there...
No, it doesn't. All things that exhibit the 'poof' behaviour are always tied to a particular application. You cannot drag Safari bookmarks out of it onto something else. You cannot drag buttons out of toolbars onto something else either. Same for the status icons in the menubar. Therefore, you cannot interchange virtual aliases between the Dock and the Finder sidebar. It's called consistency. Look it up. :p

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

arya .. the point is its an alias to a folder which is a location in finder and not a bookmark or a button ... and hence dragging it from 1 place to another 'shud' create an alias to the original location ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

No, it shouldn't because it is not an alias. It is a virtual alias. It is not a file. It is no more than a button; it does not do anything more than performing an action, which is what a button does.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
No, it doesn't. All things that exhibit the 'poof' behaviour are always tied to a particular application. You cannot drag Safari bookmarks out of it onto something else. You cannot drag buttons out of toolbars onto something else either. Same for the status icons in the menubar. Therefore, you cannot interchange virtual aliases between the Dock and the Finder sidebar. It's called consistency. Look it up. :p

Its not consistency, it should depend after dragging where u r dropping. Some that Windows lets us, if something cannot be dropped somewhere the "uavailable" cursor is made.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

And Mac OS X shows you the 'poof' pointer. So, what point are you trying to make, if any?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

somewhat similar kind of behaviour is exhibited in the nautilus sidebar. the shortcuts there are stored in a bookmark file and are neither hard nor soft links. hence u can't drag them out anywhere.

praka123

left this forum longback

^duh!do u expect anyone to know about nautilus file manager of Gnome DE of Linux to be known to apple users.
one proffessor Ph.d who is a friend of mine is using gcc and everything on ppc mac.but he says except debian he cant now use any Linux or windows.so some addiction Mac means.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
And Mac OS X shows you the 'poof' pointer. So, what point are you trying to make, if any?

With the poof effect it removes the shortcut from the original location. In Windows, it puts it back to original location.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

If it didn't remove the shortcut, how would you remove it! The method of removing shortcuts is dragging them out. Fat lot of good it would do if you dragged them out and it would put them back in!

It does put stuff back to its place when it is supposed to do so. For example, if you drag the shortcut of a currently running application out of the Dock, it flies back to the Dock.

... and please stop discussion on this (non) issue now. A simple little thing, which is as intuitive as it is possible for it to be and you guys have worked it up into this huge issue. Insufferable!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

consistency my foot ... u drag something from a window it goes back to its original location and u drag from the sidebar in the same window and it goes 'poof' ... o! how consistent :lol:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

gx_saurav said:
With the poof effect it removes the shortcut from the original location. In Windows, it puts it back to original location.
thats the biggest flaw wid ur comparison! don't compare it wid windows. every os does things in its own way. if everything was same as windows, then what originality wud mac osx haf and then who'd buy MAC????? when in rome, do as the romans do! :)

iMav said:
consistency my foot ...
oye, control yaar! :D :D :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Guys, I saw this Intel advertisement on The Washington Post website:

*img519.imageshack.us/img519/1490/leopardsinaninteladvertzv3.png

Notice something?

Top Bottom