The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

goobimama said:
In safari its called Font Smoothening...and its default looks much better than those fiddle sticks that IE just put out...

In IE 7 its called Cleartype & I don't like it on my CRT monitor, so I disabled it.

Can I disable in Safari?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

gx_saurav said:
About the font thing. I have Cleartype disabled in IE 7. I don't like it.
Oh, I'm sorry I keep forgetting your love for all things inferior and/or ugly. I am genuinely sorry for doubting your consistency and for bringing up the subject!

goobimama

 Macboy

Didn't I say in Safari its called Font smoothening? Well its there in the preferences...

Okay many might have known this, but if I have a movie folder on my bootcamp partition, and i don't feel like copying it over to the Movies folder so I can watch it with Frontrow, I just create an Alias (Shortcuts on steroids) and dump it in my movies folder. It acts like a normal folder from thereon (that is, frontrow access). This also works with DVDs and other removable media.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Pretty much every alias (what a wonderful phrase to describe it!) in Mac OS X works that way. They represent the files, rather than just linking to it. I did know about this Front Row trick. :)

goobimama said:
Didn't I say in Safari its called Font smoothening? Well its there in the preferences...
... not in mine.

Why would someone need that though? And why isn't it enabled by default in Windows?

goobimama

 Macboy

On Windows, Safari > Appearance (Only safari)

On Mac, System Preferences > Appearance (Systemwide)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Oh. Right. I'd just checked the Safari preferences.

I still don't know why someone would want to turn it off though.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

I'm sorry I keep forgetting your love for all things inferior and/or ugly.
I will let your ignorance go by...like I said, I m using a CRT Monitor & cleartype looks bad on a CRT to me, So I disabled it.

Not IE7 its for the system wide font rendering.
Nope there is an option in IE 7 for HTML too. System wide font smoothing is different.

*i11.tinypic.com/5ys6r5v.jpg

For good measures, here is another screenshot with cleartype enabled

*img515.imageshack.us/img515/6651/applepi4.th.jpg

aryayush said:
I still don't know why someone would want to turn it off though.
Personal preference.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Well, Mac OS X trumps Windows even here, and yet again. Look at the attached image. Even though hardly any Mac user would be stuck with a CRT screen, they still have so many font smoothing options to cater to every need. (I bet he won't reply now. I'd be glad.)

Gosh! After seeing the screenshot of System Preferences in Leopard, mine looks downright ugly to me. :p

goobimama

 Macboy

I like the "Best for main display" thing that OS X has. It just shows the integration that Apple has put into its machines, that it knows what the main display is...and offers a factory customised font smoothening...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

aryayush said:
Well, Mac OS X trumps Windows even here, and yet again. Look at the attached image. Even though hardly any Mac user would be stuck with a CRT screen, they still have so many font smoothing options to cater to every need.

Oh! you mean this.

*i17.tinypic.com/4qntpxg.jpg

I like the "Best for main display" thing that OS X has. It just shows the integration that Apple has put into its machines, that it knows what the main display is...and offers a factory customised font smoothening...

Since Apple is the manufacturer of LCD Monitor here, they know about it. MS isn't so they give the option to use. Cleartype is enabled by default in Windows Vista

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

offtopic: since i dun use ie7 i didn't know abt the html specific setting. thanks for the info :)

continue guys!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Thats the thing. Everything is already there in Windows. Did u try looking even once?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

gx_saurav said:
Thats the thing. Everything is already there in Windows. Did u try looking even once?
is the post directed for me? if so, then NO sorry.. i don't bother digging the features of software that i don't use!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

infra_red_dude said:
is the post directed for me?

Its directed at everyone who says Windows lack a particular feature because it is not in front of my eyes. Well, if you can't look then stop blaming MS

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

gx_saurav said:
Its directed at everyone who says Windows lack a particular feature because it is not in front of my eyes. Well, if you can't look then stop blaming MS
since its directed at everyone which includes me! i'm replying here... i jus mentioned about this particular case and haf not blamed MS for it.

anyways, guys sorry for my post. no more off topic posts from my side :)

praka123

left this forum longback

infra_red_dude said:
offtopic: since i dun use ie7 i didn't know abt the html specific setting. thanks for the info :)

continue guys!
Isnt this font-smoothening in mac & cleartype in windows are different names(!patents :rolleyes: ) given for the ttf anti-aliasing.
OR
some superior one?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

praka123 said:
Isnt this font-smoothening in mac & cleartype in windows are different names(!patents :rolleyes: ) given for the ttf anti-aliasing.

Nope. Stop trolling plz
some superior one?

These are better technologies then BSD's TTF anti-aliasing.

praka123

left this forum longback

gx_saurav said:
Nope. Stop trolling plz

These are better technologies then BSD's TTF anti-aliasing.
this is not a troll.just asked a doubt.that's all.but now who is trolling-look da answer.

goobimama

 Macboy

Praka was NOT trolling! I find OS X's font smoothening better, you find Vista's font smoothening better. They are both the same with a little difference in the outcome.

Top Bottom