The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Re: The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Macs.

damn intel shud be sued how dare they take leopards they are apple proprietary :x .... :D

goobimama

 Macboy

Joe: "Hey, where's MS Word on your Mac"
Milind: "Here you go"

Half an hour later, Joe calls Milind to ask him for some formatting help. Milind says that he doesn't use Word and prefers Pages. Opens Pages and ten minutes later Joe had done his job and it looked really professional.

Joe: Hey, can I have Pages on Windows? I can never make documents look good with Word...

Milind: Nope!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

milind lets be honest here iv tried pages and that presentation software theres nothing more than specified templates ... besides those templates powerpoint 2003 has got better customization options than iwork 08

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Pages, Numbers, Keynote - Prespecified templates. All presentation & papers looks same. Where to add more templates?

Word, PowerPoint & Excel - Make as u like. You want more? Just check online templates in "Open" file.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

iMav said:
milind lets be honest here iv tried pages and that presentation software theres nothing more than specified templates ... besides those templates powerpoint 2003 has got better customization options than iwork 08
I made a Keynote presentation and got 15/15 in my college. Others in my class got 10-12 (ten being the lowest possible). To top it off, I have also been handled the task of making the presentation for the first ever fest that the college is organising. I'm the only first year who's being allowed to do something for the fest (and something so important) - all thanks to Keynote!

When you make a presentation, the one and only thing that matters is that they should look good and PowerPoint presentations can never ever look even remotely as cool as Keynote's. The effects, transitions and themes are just mind-blowing! Then there are all sorts of cool new features in the latest version. Smart builds has no comparison. One feature that Apple touted during the launch was Instant Alpha. I must admit that I wasn't very impressed with that. Removes the background, big deal! But now that I've used it, my opinion has changed. It is damn useful and very convenient.

If you need all sorts of mind-numbing options such as macros and whatnot, Office is the way to go. But if you're looking for quality work that exudes class and professionalism, nothing comes close to iWork '08. Nothing whatsoever. I would even go so far as to say that iWork '08 is now one more reason to buy a Mac.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

keynote is a very basic presentation maker ... its easy to make decent looking presentations for n00bies coz its got a good set of pre-defined templates .... i hav to make a presentation almost every third week and coz of the hype milind created abt key note i tried it and the only thing better i found was the pre-defined templates and some animations other than that its pretty basic ... if u really wanna make presentations from scratch and not based on a pre-defined template ... power point gives u more options and is better ... same is the case with pages

PS: i wasnt biased when i was using key notes and wasnt comparing it with power point because i wud have switched if i found it better ;) but it didnt suffice my needs

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Which were?

A person once pointed it out to me (I think it might have been Ashwin), how you guys always keep babbling about how everything Apple makes sucks but never really seem to have any valid reasons.

Take a look at the post above. It is full of bullshit about how Keynote is a crap application, but there is nary a mention of any reasons as to what brought about that judgement. Pathetic!

I challenged gx_saurav to a shootout once. Both of us make presentations on a particular theme of his choosing and see which one comes out tops. He backed out. If you are up to it, I still do have some free time I could make use of.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

k id do it the next time i have a topic i surely will post my presentation here .... ;) its not abt the application being crap ... i said for key note i was looking for something better than power point 2007 which it wasnt for me ...

shantanu

Technomancer

two users above crossed 3000 mark and arya is on 2999 :D:D great...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

And I intend to keep it that way... uh oh! :p

iMav said:
k id do it the next time i have a topic i surely will post my presentation here .... ;) its not abt the application being crap ... i said for key note i was looking for something better than power point 2007 which it wasnt for me ...
Of course it wasn't. It is better than PowerPoint, so obviously you won't like it. You like Windows, after all - so that already explains that you prefer crap to the good stuff.

You know that it is impossible for you to make a presentation as slick as Keynote's with PowerPoint. It is simply not possible. But you'll keep sticking to that old tune of, it's not customisable. A presentation software has only one purpose, making good presentations and Keynote excels at that but no, you only care that you should be able to customise it so that the application starts crashing and making crap presentations. Then you'll be happy. Because now it is crap.

And I don't even know what you guys mean by Keynote not being customisable. You can add your own themes, create new ones or download them from the Internet. You can change layouts of the existing themes. I have yet to see someone show me a particular point where PowerPoint is better than Keynote. It simply isn't. I doubt there is even one good feature in PowerPoint that is absent in Keynote. Keep in mind though that I used the word 'doubt', as in, I am reasonably sure but am not stating this as a fact. If you feel that I am wrong, feel free to prove it in a new thread...

One neat feature to add to Leopard would be for the OS to give you a message that you have minimised window(s) when you try to quit an application. It often happens that you minimise windows and forget about them and later quit the application without even realising that there was a window you were supposed to be using and it is no longer available.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

So what if one uses pre-defined templates? It looks good right? And there are some templates, which are not exactly "templates". Its just a gradient background. There's of course masters for adding Picture pages, with bullets on the side and such, but otherwise, they are pretty basic. But that's what makes them so good.

My dad makes a lot of presentations here and there. And after the talk, he is guaranteed to get a few people asking him how he did those presentations. There is no argument that keynote is light years ahead of powerpoint.... no argument.

I repeat, So what if the presentations are based on themes? They look good don't they?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

well light years i dont know ... but i sure hell know 1 thing ... poewr point 2007 has more features which u wont even realize till the next 10 versions will come ;)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Sometimes I really wonder why I even bother! What a bunch of, as Fake Steve would say, "frigtards"! :p

Keynote is generally the one application that Windows users don't bother arguing about. Anyone only needs to look at it once to know that it is light years ahead of PowerPoint and due to Microsoft's different policy towards writing software, it can never match up to Keynote.

But some people insist on being <insert the same word here>.

I have another Fake Steve term for you both - "siooma". :lol:

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy

features which u wont even realize till
You said it yourself. I don't care much about features (gx, get ready to pounce on me). I just want a sexy presentation without much work, and that is possible with Keynote, at least as far as I'm concerned.

A point to note is that I failed my IT exam in my 1st year BA. Powerpoint was the subject matter. I failed it.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

^^ u failed i mightv topped it ;) not to say i might even if keynote was the subject coz its got got nothing to know abt ... small lil application :lol:

@arya: same to you :)

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Thank you! :)

Well, topper. Show me a good PowerPoint presentation. I am bursting to compete with you.

Leave alone yourself. Show me a good PowerPoint presentation from anyone. Anyone. Even the guy(s) at Microsoft who wrote PowerPoint. Anyone. I'll make a better presentation than anyone ever can with PowerPoint. And I've only used Keynote twice.

goobimama

 Macboy

So let's talk about Quicksilver. Aayush, you got any tricks up your sleeve for working with Quicksilver? Even though I do a lot of things with quicksilver, I still feel like I'm scratching the surface...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

A summary of the conversation above:

aryayush: Keynote is better than PowerPoint.

iMav: No ppt better keynote not...

aryayush: But Keynote makes better presentations than PowerPoint ever can.

iMav: so wat... ppt have more feature... it more customisbl.

aryayush: But it makes crap presentations.

iMav: who care... it more customisbl... more feature...

aryayush: OK. Which features of PowerPoint does Keynote lack?

iMav: more featre.... more feature...

aryayush: Yeah, I'm following you, mate. But what are those features?

iMav: kenote only look gud, ppt have more customison option...

aryayush: Like what?

iMav: next ver have more feature... bust with feature... so many feature, ms have to put some feature in other applicason to make them fit... so many features...

aryayush: :rolleyes: OK, I get the point...

iMav: no u not... more feature... more customisbl...

aryayush: And the fact that Keynote does a better job does not matter?

iMav: more feature... more featre...

aryayush: And is it all that matters? And you still haven't given me any examples...

iMav: who need that... it have more feature....

goobimama: Aayush, why are you bothering?

iMav: more feature...

aryayush: I dunno. Let's get outta here.

iMav: feature, feature...

goobimama: Yeah, lets. Bye, iMav!

iMav: i luv featres... my features... more features...

aryayush: Uh... OK...

iMav: more featur... more featre... feature... feature features featre... i luv featurs!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

just go thru sharepoint.net .... u will find a lot of them ;)

Top Bottom