The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Mobile Safari crashes on me sometimes. Although it does restore all the tabs (if that's what they are called) when you launch it again. Besides that nothing else has crashed of mine. Installer.app did give problems first, so I restored my iPhone and now installer works fine. And yes, me too was surprised that it restores all SMS messages and such.

(@aayush, Yash: That problem is solved. Must have been their slow website).

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I was under the assumption that it crashes on a regular basis. Actually, I still am. I mean, it's barely been a week since you got one and already one crash. My s60 phone, which I experimented a lot with, crashed like once in 15 days or so.
Preshit and Tanmay have had an iPhone each for a while now and neither seems to have had any severe crashes.

That's my last word on this issue. You may now believe what you will. :)

yash

I draw every day
oh god! I cannot even remember how many times safari crashed on me! It was really annoying. because with each crash, I loose all the play count, last played data on the ipod touch.

praka123

left this forum longback
^^^
epiphany version 1.4.7 for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Epiphany is a nice clean, sync with KISS ideology browser :) It is available with webkit backend(experimental) or gecko backend!

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
oh god! I cannot even remember how many times safari crashed on me! It was really annoying. because with each crash, I loose all the play count, last played data on the ipod touch.

Are you saying one little application crash lead to a full restore? That too safari?

WTF? This is the future?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
See? Recopying "all my songs, contacts et al" is not as elaborate a procedure as you might think. After I hit that one button, it restored my iPhone to its previous state, with everything properly in place, in about twenty minutes. I didn't have to do anything to have that backup taken and I didn't have to do anything to have it restored. It's all taken care of for me. That's certainly not not fun.

Hey, MyPhoneExplorer does that for my K750i too & it costs a fraction of iphone....

oh well, seems like U don't like learning things at all.

goobimama

 Macboy
In my case it just crashes and brings me to the Slide to Unlock screen. Nothing else is affected. And praka, we are talking about mobile-safari here. Desktop Safari is rock solid as far as I can tell.

yash

I draw every day
no, it does not lead to 'restore' but the play count and last played, unplayed status of podcast, etc, is stored in a volatile memory... so to speak. And if the phone experiences a crash, or the springboard is restarted, like after installing an application, that data is erased.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
no, it does not lead to 'restore' but the play count and last played, unplayed status of podcast, etc, is stored in a volatile memory... so to speak. And if the phone experiences a crash, or the springboard is restarted, like after installing an application, that data is erased.

Whew! You nearly had me losing faith in the iPhone there.

But all played counters are stored in volatile memory? That's kinda weird...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
1. Though Safari has never crashed for me yet (it does slow down to a crawl when typing something on this forum), it is quite a common problem from what I hear.

2. The volatile memory thing makes sense, at least to me. I plug my iPhone into the Dock whenever it is at hand, so the date gets synched. In any case, I don't care about the play counts and all. But yeah, if they're getting erased with Safari crashes, it is a problem.

3. Stop being so paranoid. :p I'm not saying that you should like/not like the phone or anything else from Apple, but stop reading everything we say with suspicion.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Do any of you guys use "The Unarchiver" here ?

It's a great decompressor, but today, I found out that it does not decompress files with a password ? It asks for the password, but then says command not found.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
The Unarchiver is my default rar manager. It's great but free. It has other issues tha password thing like it starts to unrar files which have not yet complete and we can't close/quit the application.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
That thing works fine for me. If the thing is pass protected, it asks for a pass, I enter it and it decompresses the file. So far no probs

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Do any of you guys use "The Unarchiver" here ?

It's a great decompressor, but today, I found out that it does not decompress files with a password ? It asks for the password, but then says command not found.
I use RAR Expander. It's free and does the job exactly as it should. No problems thus far. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Am I the only idiot here who uses stuffit? That app sucks like anything yet I continue to use it cause of some weird attachment I've got to it since early iBook days. No problems unzipping and such, it always perfoms well.

And I wonder what this forum bug is. Sometimes the keyboard takes ages to register what I've typed, sometimes it is superfast. Only the keyboard though.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Same here. The slowness is more common though, so much so that I've stopped visiting this forum using the iPhone.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Posting this from the Windows version of Safari. Its really cool and finally after all these days I realize that the little squares in the user titles of all the macboys are actually Apple logos:D. Text however looks a bit fuzzy though in this compared to Firefox.

Top Bottom