The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters
@MetalheadGautham,
You need a Mac to be able to run Mac OS X.
Sure. I can make a mac myself, can't I ?

Technique #1:
I heard of a project from Anirudh, which is supposed to allow you to make a virtual G4 like PC

Technique #2:
Assembled macs are also possible, aren't they ?

Technique #3:
If I take a really really old MacMini thats worth hardly anything and has only a cabinet that works well, I can refurb the insides with a newer mobo+proccy. It will still be a mac.

Technique #4:
Mac is made out of Darwin which inturn is made out of FreeBSD and the later two are OSS. FreeBSD can run Gnome. Gnome can run Mac4Lin. FreeBSD can also run Compiz Fusion. So I can emulate the looks and speed of a mac on a pc. As mac has its origins in OSS projects, I guess it must be easy to hope for something like Wine to exist to emulate macs. So I can just go ahed and install iLife in it.

Technique #5:
Does Darwin run Mac Apps like iLife ?

Technique #6:
I can come with a shotgun to your house and steal your mac...

Technique #7:
Forget macs, concentrate more on C++ and QT, and do a steve jobs thing and say, "I will make my own Beast" and make a classy set of apps and run them on a custom box with a customised *nix.

iphone-20-unlocked-runs-all-apps
wasn't unexpected

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Sure. I can make a mac myself, can't I ?
No, you cannot.

Technique #1:
I heard of a project from Anirudh, which is supposed to allow you to make a virtual G4 like PC
No, it makes your Linux OS look somewhat like Mac OS X. Hardly the same thing as owning a Mac or using Mac OS X.

Technique #2:
Assembled macs are also possible, aren't they ?
No, they aren't.

Technique #3:
If I take a really really old MacMini thats worth hardly anything and has only a cabinet that works well, I can refurb the insides with a newer mobo+proccy. It will still be a mac.
As soon as you change the motherboard, it won't run Mac OS X anymore. Plus, that would add to the cost anyway.

Technique #4:
Mac is made out of Darwin which inturn is made out of FreeBSD and the later two are OSS. FreeBSD can run Gnome. Gnome can run Mac4Lin. FreeBSD can also run Compiz Fusion. So I can emulate the looks and speed of a mac on a pc. As mac has its origins in OSS projects, I guess it must be easy to hope for something like Wine to exist to emulate macs. So I can just go ahed and install iLife in it.
No, you cannot.

Technique #5:
Does Darwin run Mac Apps like iLife ?
Nope, it doesn't.

Technique #6:
I can come with a shotgun to your house and steal your mac...
I'd like to see you try. :p

Technique #7:
Forget macs, concentrate more on C++ and QT, and do a steve jobs thing and say, "I will make my own Beast" and make a classy set of apps and run them on a custom box with a customised *nix.
Sure, that's up to you. Give it your best shot. :)

Let us not have this discussion anymore. It's not allowed out here...

yash

I draw every day
yeah, aayush will defend his mbp with his life! normal people, on the other hand, would use their mbp to shield themselves from the shotgun. LOL.

oh, BTW spotlight doesn't index iphoto keywords? because I was trying to search some photos which I know I had tagged in iphoto but I didn't get the result.

Last edited:
No, you cannot.

No, it makes your Linux OS look somewhat like Mac OS X. Hardly the same thing as owning a Mac or using Mac OS X.

No, they aren't.

As soon as you change the motherboard, it won't run Mac OS X anymore. Plus, that would add to the cost anyway.

No, you cannot.

Nope, it doesn't.

I'd like to see you try. :p

Sure, that's up to you. Give it your best shot. :)

Let us not have this discussion anymore. It's not allowed out here...
well, as far as I know, its really easy. Mac Mini needs only an intel 945 chipset mobo and a C2D processor

and that project anirudh told me is not his mac4lin, but its a PowerPC emulator. A virtual PC, with an architecture technically similar to the G4 Processor.

Whats a Mac ? A rebranded PC. If I build a PC that closely follows apple's technical specs, I presume it becomes a macintosh.

Its just too unfortunate that people haven't bothered yet to make an Apple OSX emulator, because tonnes of base code is already available to make it. Instead, they chase Wine like Drunk Men(pun intended)

OK, I decided to cut the sh!t. I can't afford a mac upgrade, and my tale ends there:(

* finally, can you point me to the exact clause in the Apple EULA that
* describes what computers Apple's OS can be installed in ? And can you
* also point me to the exact defination of a Mac that is used in the Apple
* EULA ? One of my friends told me that there is a certain legal loop hole in
* the Apple EULA that allows people from certain countries to legally install
* Macintosh on any computer.

goobimama

 Macboy
LOLs and ROLFs for good measure! I left my Mac with the Coda window open and some other stuff on screen. Fifteen minutes later I come back and see my dad, surfing Gmail, and a few other sites right there in the Coda window! He was even using the tabs feature! :D I had a hearty laugh...

goobimama

 Macboy
Coda has a build in web preview feature which uses the webkit engine. It's meant for previewing the web page and not, for surfing.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
MacBook Pro retails for only Rs. 80,000 now? :eek: Where did you hear that?

(I'm pretty sure it can't be Rs. 8,000! :p)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Hey Guys, was browsin for smthin and came across this,
*www.freeimagehosting.in/files/x60neir1aubyq0jbo0ze.png

You guys get the quick look thingy and whats shown in the pic with Leopard as default.?

I must say, it looks real neat if it did.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hey Guys, was browsin for smthin and came across this,
*www.freeimagehosting.in/files/x60neir1aubyq0jbo0ze.png

You guys get the quick look thingy and whats shown in the pic with Leopard as default.?

I must say, it looks real neat if it did.
Yeah, that's Preview and it is included by default, with all those sliders and all. Preview is one of the most powerful applications in Mac OS X. :p

Top Bottom