The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Been using firefox a long time now and what iMav says is partially true. If I enter "imdb" or "amazon" it goes to imdb.com and amazon.com but it doesn't work for apple/macbookpro where it goes to apple.com or displays Google results.

Firefox got a efficient way of opening sites. When you bookmark a site, add a keyword. For Eg, my FX takes to gmail.com if I hit "g" and "a" to ashwinr.com/wp-admin.

In Safari (my default browser now), the last 9 bookmarked sites are automatically assigned the 'speed dial' shortcut. We need to hit cmd+1, cmd+2, etc.. Or if you want to add keywords like in FX, you need to have Saft plugin.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^That works because Firefox uses the "Google I'm Feeling Lucky" as i mentioned before.
Read here : *googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/11/im-feeling-lucky.html
Typing say, "india philips" in the address bar takes you to the india philips site.

Regards,
ray

drgrudge

^^^ Doesn't happen in any browser (be it safari/FF/opera etc.) or any OS unless local aliases are set (not necessarily by the user).
Yeah true. I tried to search "imdb/12 angry men" and it returned a 404. Apple has set the keyword that if anyone types apple/macbookpro' be automatically taken to *www.apple.com/macbookpro/index.html.

But jamesbond007 query is solved. Just by typing any keyword, Safari will add a "*" and ".com" to it.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Been using firefox a long time now and what iMav says is partially true. If I enter "imdb" or "amazon" it goes to imdb.com and amazon.com
This is different from aliasing. In this case whatever you type is same as in URL. Or google queries are used.

but it doesn't work for apple/macbookpro where it goes to apple.com or displays Google results.
This is aliasing, either local or global.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^That works because Firefox uses the "Google I'm Feeling Lucky" as i mentioned before.

Since when? I dont have it working as u say it does.
Dont jus say stuff without proof.
:confused: i dont understand wen i said the same happens for me in firefox u said no it doesnt and im talking sh1t but now ur saying it happens becasue of google; which 1 is it? it happens or doesnt happen :?:

drgrudge

Ohhh ok. Point taken rayraven and infra_red_dude.

Safari -- adds a "*" and ".com" to the keywords.
Firefox -- returns Google's first result (which is the I'm feeling Lucky thing)

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@ arya, Your orange apple logo in the first post is a "?" in windows. Instead insert a image.

It looks really weird, u know.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@iMav,
When you enter a query in the address bar that isn't a URL,
Firefox performs a "Google I'm Feeling Lucky" Search.
If a single viable result is obtained then you are taken to that site.
Else a Google search for the keywords is displayed.
Note that this works only if you have at least two keywords,
Simply typing say "apple" doesn't redirect you to the apple site.

That was what i was trying to explain to you,
And where was not polite? Anyways forgive me if I was.

Regards,
ray

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
arre mere bhai main teko wohi toh bol raha hoon, whether google does it or apple does it - the fact of the matter is that it happens and that is what i said in the first reply to arya where u said ki "Dont jus say stuff without proof."

chal chuck it lets move on, this is the apple thread though firefox is available for os x all macboys will be cursing me as to wtf am idoing here as it is this place has become more of a thinkAntiMS.com/forum :(

drgrudge

FF does both: query google as well as add * and .com/.net whatever. I guess even opera does it.
Not it doesn't. I hit "imdb" in the the URL bar and the status bar showed "waiting for google" and then then "opening *imdb.com". It uses Google's I'm feeling Lucky for sure. It doesn't add the * and .com/ unless you press cmd + enter.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@drgrudge.
In Firefox, type imdb and then press Ctrl+Enter for Linux/Windows.
Its Cmd+Return for you guys.

Regards,
ray

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK. There's a little bit of misinformation floating around here, due to iMav's misleading comment. Here's how each browser handles it:

1. Safari
If you enter 'microsoft', it will take you to *www.microsoft.com/en/us/default.aspx.
If you enter 'apple', it will take you to *www.apple.com/index.html.
If you enter 'microsoft/presspass/presskits/interoperability', it will take you to *www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/interoperability/default.mspx.
If you enter 'apple/getamac/ads', it will take you to *www.apple.com/getamac/ads/index.html.
It automatically adds the '*www.' and '.com' in their appropriate places. Google isn't involved.

Ashwin, 'imdb/12 angry men' did not work for you because IMDB does not have any URL like *www.imdb.com/12 angry men/. It will, however, work if you enter 'imdb/title/tt0050083'. That will take you to *www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/, which is the overview page for 12 Angry Men.

Apple hasn't pre-programmed any shortcuts into the program for Apple's own website. The only inbuilt shortcut I know in Safari is that 'nyt' automatically takes you to *www.nytimes.com/. Now you know which is Steve Jobs' favourite newspaper. :p

Google isn't involved anywhere.

You should install Inquisitor, by the way. It is a free plugin for Safari that replaces the Google search feature of Safari with its own implementation. After installing it, if you search for "12 angry men", the first few results from Google will immediately appear in a swanky black drop down list below. Just hit the down key and hit return to go to the IMDB overview page. I search IMDB, Google, Wikipedia, Apple, etc. from there and ahrdly ever have to visit Google's own search results page. :)

2. Opera
Opera does exactly what Safari does but it also adds the keywords feature (which Saft, a paid plugin, enables in Safari too) which allows you to search Google just by entering 'g <search term>' or Wikipedia by entering 'w <search term>' in the address bar. You can customise it to add more websites.

It auto-completes the URL with or without hitting 'Cmd+Ret'.

3. Firefox
When you enter something that is not a valid URL and don't hit 'Cmd+Ret', it searches Google for those terms/that term and takes you to the first hit (the "I'm feeling lucky" hit). Now, there is some magical voodoo involved here by virtue of which it simply takes you to the Google search results page when there isn't a clear winner among the search results. How it decides which way to go, I don't know, but I do know that it works fantastically well.

It does not auto-complete unless you hit 'Cmd+Ret'.

4. Internet Explorer 7 (even 8, 9, 10 and 176)
It auto-completes the URL if you hit 'Ctrl+Ent'.

If you don't, it gives you an error page suggesting that you:
(a) Check your Internet connection;
(b) Make sure your security applications aren't blocking anything;
(c) Check the URL; or
(d) Kill yourself.

Hope everything is clear now. I'm ready to field any doubts. :)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
4. Internet Explorer 7 (even 8, 9, 10 and 176)
It auto-completes the URL if you hit 'Ctrl+Ent'.

If you don't, it gives you an error page suggesting that you:
(a) Check your Internet connection;
(b) Make sure your security applications aren't blocking anything;
(c) Check the URL; or
(d) Kill yourself.

*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/24.gif

P.S : Nice Explanation Aayush.

Regards,
ray

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Which is the best FTP application for Mac OS X? I want one that, if I select a folder for uploading and a folder by that name already exists in the location I'm uploading to, automatically compares and replaces only those files within the folder than have since been changed. Basically, I want one that keeps both my locations in sync.

Coda, AFAIK, does not do this. It replaces the whole thing and you have to do it manually every time. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

drgrudge

The best FTP client: Cyberduck. But I've not used Transmit.

Let me tell you that I've never came across a situation like you're facing now, so checked the site and seems it can be done.

Synchronization
Synchronize local with remote directories (and vice versa) and get a preview of affected files before any action is taken.

By the way. Coda is coding app not not a ftp app. I has Trasmit in-built but still it's not a FTP client.

Reg Browsers, you've just summed up what I wrote in 3-4 posts. :p Yeah, I've Inquisitor and it rocks.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for the info!

I just wanted to correct you on that Apple coding that 'apple/macbookpro' thing into Safari. It works everywhere and isn't exclusive to Apple's own website. :)

drgrudge

apple.com/macbookpro works in safari (also in FX - with the Google thing) because it just adds the * stuffs. I thought it was aliasing but playing around with Safari and FX this afternoon enlightened me. :D

Top Bottom