The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Hmm, if it's not going to catalogue DVDs, then pretty useless for me. The combined storage of my WD and HDD is around 280 GB only. And I've over 800 GB in DVDs. Nevertheless, I'll try it out and see how it goes.

narangz

Web developer
Well, since it's MacUser (one of Macworld's sister sites), tens of websites and blogs link to each one of our entries, so that's not really a big deal. But when John Gruber links to it, well... you see how happy that makes us. :p

Well you deserve to be applauded for your writings. :)
I would love reading your articles if they were Windows(No Bashing :p ) and/or technology oriented instead of being (only)Apple oriented. I hope you'll consider writing articles based on other technologies. Please consider this.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Fellas,

What format does the Time Machine drive needs to be formatted in ?
I'm getting a 160gigs Western Digital passport HDD today. Can I use it as a TimeMachine drive as well as a normal external drive that works with Windows machines ?

goobimama

 Macboy
Disk Utility > Partition > 1 Partition > Mac OS Journaled.
You can then use the Time Machine drive as a normal external drive but only readable by Macs.

If you want a partition to be read by Windows, then create 2 partitions, one which is HFS (Mac OS Journaled) and the other MS DOS file format (FAT32).

If it's a specific PC in concern, then install MacDrive on that PC and it will read the 1 partitioned Time Machine drive.

There is also this thing I noticed with 10.5.2.
When you go to select your TM partition in the TM preference pane, you can now choose the Bootcamp partition as well which is FAT32 (It says "Format Required"). I haven't gone further into the whole thing but it might just automatically format your external drive for you.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well you deserve to be applauded for your writings. :)
I would love reading your articles if they were Windows(No Bashing :p ) and/or technology oriented instead of being (only)Apple oriented. I hope you'll consider writing articles based on other technologies. Please consider this.
Well, I really don't have the time to work for any more websites. I'd gotten an offer but I turned it down (though that was mostly because the pay was poor).

Plus, I really am not interested in general technology that much anymore. I'm hooked to Apple. :p

narangz

Web developer
Well, I really don't have the time to work for any more websites. I'd gotten an offer but I turned it down (though that was mostly because the pay was poor).

Plus, I really am not interested in general technology that much anymore. I'm hooked to Apple. :p

Alright. Its your call :) But if you write anything which does not involve Apple, at any stage in your life, please send me the link!

BTW- goobimama, congrats for reaching the 3000 posts milestone :)

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Disk Utility > Partition > 1 Partition > Mac OS Journaled.
...external drive for you.

Thanks.
I'll be prolly going for the 250GB Western Digital Passport pocket HDD ( Rs. 6200 ) so it's prolly going to be 120gigs (TM) and 130gigs(fat32) :|
Before that, how are the read/write speeds off a Fat32 drive on Leopard ?

Also, Brajeshwar tells me that one of his HDDs refused to work on his MBP without external power. Any comments about that issue ? Would this one work ?

goobimama

 Macboy
BTW- goobimama, congrats for reaching the 3000 posts milestone
Woah! Didn't realise I touched 3000! I would usually have made a big fuss about it :). Anyway, there's lots of catching up to do. I want to beat Pathiks!

@Preshit: WD Passport drives come with a power adapter while many other 2.5" drives come with two USB ports to draw power. I don't think the Macbook's USB port is powerful enough to supply power through one USB port though my iMac can very well support 2.5" drives via 1 USB port. That leaves us with the Mac mini :)

As for FAT32 writing speeds, they are just as they should be.

goobimama

 Macboy
WD comes with Power Adapter + USB cable
Many other drives come without Power Adapter, but with 2 USB cables (1 for extra power)

Macbook and most other notebooks don't have enough power for their USB port, so the HDD needs a Power Adapter or an extra USB cable to draw power.

iMac USB port has enough power in single USB port so no extra USB cable/power adapter required.

Mac Mini = ?

You can, however, get yourself one of these dual USB cables and chuck out the Power adapter.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@Preshit: WD Passport drives come with a power adapter while many other 2.5" drives come with two USB ports to draw power.
hmm my 250gb passport came with only 1 tiny little usb cord thats the power that the transfer cord :p

Top Bottom