The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
Hey anyone noticed with 10.5.2 the pop up/drop down menus are less transparent than they used to be? They were so juicy earlier, now looking very flat and plain-jane. I hope someone hacks it to get those transparent menus back.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
It was supposed to be one of the fixes. When the BG is light, then you can hardly see the lists. I also don't like the current view. Maybe there should be a option for us to define the transparency.

Some Queries:-
1. How do I take Screenshot with Quicktime?
2. How do I lock the PC without any software. Like the Windows + L?
3. How do I close windows, not quit? Cmd + H is the way out?
4. When I pop in my WD HDD, the icons are big and spaced out. Also when I click it it opens up a new window. If I view in Finder, it's completely normal (but for the spaced out big icons). I know how to set it right, but the PC is not remembering the settings.
5. Where can I get to see the different icons that I apply to the default icon list?

goobimama

 Macboy
1) Just drag the image out of quicktime onto your desktop. It doesn't really create a jpg screenshot, but it's a screenshot of the movie alright.
2) Aayush has a lock thing that you can put on the menubar. It's a built in thing. Otherwise, use Deskshade, it has a lock computer option. The best way however is to put a lock on the screensaver.
3) Command+W dude! Command+Option+W to close all windows of the application (handy while closing lots of Finder windows)
4) Well there are some quirks with Finder. Have to right-click, show view options, and make it something like the default. I can't say for sure can't I'm not at the mac right now. Also, a lot of people prefer Pathfinder which is a Finder replacement. You could check that out.
5) Didn't really get what you mean. For Icons though, just get Candybar.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
2. How do I lock the PC without any software. Like the Windows + L?

2) Aayush has a lock thing that you can put on the menubar. It's a built in thing. Otherwise, use Deskshade, it has a lock computer option. The best way however is to put a lock on the screensaver.

I do this.
In System Prefs >> Accounts >> Login Options - Enable "Fast User switching"

Now, in (the right of) your menubar, click on the name and click on "Login Window" when you want to leave your computer and lock it. When you come back, enter your password and resume.

I'm just too lazy to use DeskShade's method though.

drgrudge

1. I didn't understand. I tried to click and drag to the desktop, but nothing happened other than that it paused the playing video.
2. How to put a lock on the screensaver?
3. Shame on me. Didn't knew that before or bothered to find out earlier.
4. I'm not sure if you understood me. Here's the screenie to point out what I want...
*img.skitch.com/20080214-nsq5pf7ewqwy65jkadmj5cbgr8.jpg
*img.skitch.com/20080214-8jp3i3mjthkfyjd4b4gw49eggu.jpg
*img.skitch.com/20080214-k7je83swy7ji7bemw97ctehu47.jpg

I can do it, but it's not remembering my settings. I've have to do it everytime. :(

5. I meant the default icons that of Mackintosh HD. Your desktop had a different one. I know we can change with Candybar but where do I look for them?
6. A new query. How do I disable subtitles in QuickTime? Planet Earth starts playing subtitles, and the option in View -> Subtitles -> off is disabled.

Thanks.

narangz

Web developer
Regarding your last query- The subtitles might be 'recorded' in the video. Therefore they cannot be switched off.

drgrudge

Regarding your last query- The subtitles might be 'recorded' in the video. Therefore they cannot be switched off.
No. VLC didn't play the subtitles. It would've if it's hard encoded.

I do this.
In System Prefs >> Accounts >> Login Options - Enable "Fast User switching"

Now, in (the right of) your menubar, click on the name and click on "Login Window" when you want to leave your computer and lock it. When you come back, enter your password and resume.

I'm just too lazy to use DeskShade's method though.
Darky, it tried and it works. But iTunes, Network is all switched off. When I'm d/ling stuffs and want to lock the PC temporarily, then this is not what I want to do. Windows + L just locks the PC, all the apps will be running. Here, we're logging off from the Mac.

goobimama

 Macboy
1) Well here's a screenshot to prove the theory. Just drag the video out.
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.c20ac2bab3.jpg
2) System Preferences > Security > the option is there. Just set a screen corner to activate the screensaver and you don't even have to use the keyboard. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the sleep display option. I would highly recommend deskshade though. It's really nice. And you can use Command+L to lock your computer.

4) As for getting the Finder sidebar, just click the grey pill at the top right. It's usually the button for hiding toolbars and such.
5) As in you want websites? Well deviantart is one, then michaelsmac.com, and pretty much everywhere else. Just have to search for them on google.
6) Window > Show Movie Properties (command+J). There you can disable the subtitle track by unchecking it. If you want it to be permanent change you will have to save it as a quicktime movie (File Save as, either reference or self contained)

Last edited:

drgrudge

1. & 6. wont work as it need QT pro. That's why screenshot didn't work in my QT.
2. There won't be any issues with Network connections naa?
4. The problem is it's not remembering my settings.

goobimama

 Macboy
You still on quicktime vanilla? Why? Get Quicktime Pro dude. It's worth the $30 :D

2) Well how about trying it out? I would assume there would be none.

4) Do you want the thumbnail view itself? Otherwise, change it to List view, right-click the whitespace, show view options, and select "Always Open in List view". Also make sure your "Arrange by: Name" is enabled in the show view options.

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
I have been locking my Mac from the very beginning in the same way as mentioned by Darky and I also lock Mac when I am in downloading mode but I never had network off problem.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Interfacelift has become very stagnant. Nothing new comes out of there. There's no 512*512 Leopard icons in there.
What good are they? Do you ever see them anywhere?

I'm writing a post on MacUser about the different ways to lock your Mac. Should be up by 01:00 - 02:00 AM tonight. :)

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I have been locking my Mac from the very beginning in the same way as mentioned by Darky and I also lock Mac when I am in downloading mode but I never had network off problem.

Neither did I have that problem. Actually, it's the same as "Switch users" in Windows. So the programs/processes are still running. I could be wrong on this.

@Aayush:
Don't we just give you great ideas to write about :D

Top Bottom