The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

goobimama

 Macboy
What good are they? Do you ever see them anywhere?
Saaley. You were the one who went on about 512*512 icons. Anyway my main focus was on lack of anything new, the leopard thing was just an extra point.

I sick of that icons in WD HDD. But I'll have to bear with it. Or try to view in Lists or Coloumns.
Weird man. Mine works perfectly.
I double click WD > Opens up Window with icons neatly arranged > rightclick > show view options > Arrange by: None > icons go crazy > Close the window > double click WD again, icons are crazy > repeat those steps to get them back arranged.

Last edited:

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
One of the few overseas blogger I know, ShawnBlanch had written an entry where he says that Time Machine is more like an archiving tool that lets you get back old stuff. For a backup tool, he recommends SuperDuper.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Are you serious! :shock:

I have an external hard drive too and I don't use Time Machine. I do want to, however. :(

@Aayush:
Don't we just give you great ideas to write about :D
Yeah, when I'd joined MacUser, I'd asked you guys to send some tips my way every now and then whenever you came across any. And though no one has done it intentionally so far, I do manage to grab an idea or two from these posts every now and then. And I'm grateful for that. :)

(I once even credited Milind for one post.)

jamesbond007

 MacManiac
aryayush said:
And though no one has done it intentionally so far, I do manage to grab an idea or two from these posts every now and then

let us see if we can help you, man you everyday I get so many doubts but you know what I own the laziest butt in this world. You see when you get a doubt, you first need to google then frame a para, then log on to this site , then type that para, then post, then wait till some one replies, then ..... and it goes on..... ;-)

My desktop coming soon!!!!

goobimama

 Macboy
Well, I guess I'm the goat. For I get to ask this question:
Am I the only one who uses Time Machine?

system restore which has been there for more than 5 years
Oh, And it's nothing like System Restore. That thing only restores your system, as in, program files and other such stuff. This backs up everything. And in the most elegant way possible :)

@aayush-bhai: Didn't know about this offer. I will certainly send stuff your way now and then (Prepare to have your inbox bombarded with spam!)

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Oh, And it's nothing like System Restore. That thing only restores your system, as in, program files and other such stuff. This backs up everything. And in the most elegant way possible :)
not hijacking the thread but the last time i tried system restore it brought back any and all of my dleted folders after doing a system restore and yeh i said this in the same post that its an eye candy way of backing up :)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I saw like any other average joe (or rather an average Jaswant Singh) - till my Mac came. I'm fussy about the way my things look. Eye Candy is important - atleast for me. :)

iMav -
Please yaar, Microsoft walla cheez ko chod do. Debate karna tho, ek naya thread shuru kar. Why would I care what is there or not there in Vista?

goobimama

 Macboy
not hijacking the thread but the last time i tried system restore it brought back any and all of my dleted folders after doing a system restore and yeh i said this in the same post that its an eye candy way of backing up :)
Are you freaking crazy? System restore does NOT backup documents, emails and any other personal files you may have. It only restores a system to an earlier date. Your files remain the same.

time machine is an eye candy backup tool form apple for apple; thats why its called time machine it lets u go back in time pretty much like windows system restore which has been there for more than 5 years :D
it is a backup tool.uses rsync I think :-|
sounds like another backup software. Then why did Western Digital HDD come to picture ?

If its a hardware(ext storage), from Apple, does it have the following features?

Automatic backup to two partitions - recovary and standard

One button auto backup

automatic upload to online FUSE storage

eCryptFS based cryptographic highly encrypted online FUSE frontend
eCryptFS based filesystem mount

Built in Biometric scanner for Eye, Arm-Pit smell, thumb-print, blood and DNA security scan

10000 newton force endurance

fire proof

water proof

MRAM based storage

eSATA and FireWire - 3200

direct execution enabled(execution without RAM, directly via MRAM)

Biometric security based locker

LCD touch screen based onboard display to do basic operations like lock drive, enter password, etc

biometric and password protected file locking system

encryption of biometric and password data into file system to ensure un-accessability of any file unless correct code is supplied

10 TB of storage space

if it indeed has all the features I have listed, then it *might* just be worth buying.

goobimama

 Macboy
And Time Machine is not all eye candy. It is intuitive. You know what those arrows mean even though there is no text to say so. Also, the way you can recover Photos, contacts, emails, is all pretty amazing. Of course there's no bootable version which is why many prefer SuperDuper, but you can very well restore a system using the OS X install DVD.

if it indeed has all the features I have listed, then it *might* just be worth buying.
Time Machine comes free with Leopard. :)

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
System Restore in Windows is friggin' awesome! It saved my butt on a couple of occasions.

However, it does not deal with files. It only restores your system's settings and stuff. For example, if you install an application and Windows goes kaput (as happens once every three days), a quick system restore will bring back your system and the application will be uninstalled (i.e. removed from the registry and the other important places in Windows). However, if you go to Program Files, you'll find that it is still there.

Which means that it does not delete or bring back any files. In other words, not like Time Machine. :)

@aayush-bhai: Didn't know about this offer. I will certainly send stuff your way now and then (Prepare to have your inbox bombarded with spam!)
Or you could post them in this thread. Whichever suits you... :)

sounds like another backup software. Then why did Western Digital HDD come to picture ?

If its a hardware(ext storage), from Apple, does it have the following features?

Automatic backup to two partitions - recovary and standard

One button auto backup

automatic upload to online FUSE storage

eCryptFS based cryptographic highly encrypted online FUSE frontend
eCryptFS based filesystem mount

Built in Biometric scanner for Eye, Arm-Pit smell, thumb-print, blood and DNA security scan

10000 newton force endurance

fire proof

water proof

MRAM based storage

eSATA and FireWire - 3200

direct execution enabled(execution without RAM, directly via MRAM)

Biometric security based locker

LCD touch screen based onboard display to do basic operations like lock drive, enter password, etc

biometric and password protected file locking system

encryption of biometric and password data into file system to ensure un-accessability of any file unless correct code is supplied

10 TB of storage space

Duuude! You Lingeeks will never come out of that well.

Time Machine is a part of Leopard. It is software, not hardware. As for what it does and which binary coded hexadecimal form of exterior architectural infinitesimal crap it uses - I have no freaking clue. :p

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@ hey goobi it does

sorry grdgy no more posts wrt that by me .... goobster u can try it create a test folder with a test file then create a restore point delete the folder and then restore (make sure that the file u have saved is on a disk that has system restore enabled :)

iv tried it with a shift+del

Time Machine is a part of Leopard. It is software, not hardware. As for what it does and which binary coded hexadecimal form of exterior architectural infinitesimal crap it uses - I have no freaking clue. :razz:
you mean it does not automatically backup your data after on the fly encryption with biometric data online ?
You mean it can't even just do some online backup ?
It doesn't use a highly recovarable file system ?

wow, does being a hardcore apple fanboy make you ignorant to technology ?

PS: I think I was talking about Time Capsule, not Time Machine

Top Bottom